BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

01-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #45
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Sorry to hear about that $868 greg...meant to ask, does the color/bulb temp change to a more yellow color when you turn the lights on like it does with the normal halos? I'm assuming the answer is no because of the separate ballasts.
Answer is no because the light circuit takes power directly from the battery!
      01-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #46
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Dimming HIDs?

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that $868 greg...meant to ask, does the color/bulb temp change to a more yellow color when you turn the lights on like it does with the normal halos? I'm assuming the answer is no because of the separate ballasts.
Coreect, they do not change. The OEM halogens change because the voltage is dropped to under 5V to dim them. HIDs for automotive use are not dimmable, so that's why they are powered directly off the hot connection from the battery, through a relay.

The circuitry Chris provides ssimply supplies 12V to the ralay to trigger it anytime the halos are activated. If you tried to run the HID directly of the OEM wiring they would not work when the headlights are turned on and the voltage drops.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #47
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

The circuitry Chris provides ssimply upplies 12V to the ralay to trigger it anytime the halos are activated. If you tried to run the HID directly of the OEM wiring they would not work when the headlights are turned on and the voltage drops.
Hmm, so if you wanted to you could effectively have a solution for turning the halos off completely with the headlights on by running this kit on OEM wiring? not sure why you'd want to do it, but would it be possible? or would that cause a short?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #48
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm, so if you wanted to you could effectively have a solution for turning the halos off completely with the headlights on by running this kit on OEM wiring? not sure why you'd want to do it, but would it be possible? or would that cause a short?
It would most likely cause a bulb out error in the dash.
      01-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #49
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The control unit with the kit does connect to the OEM wiring. As I understand it, it makes sure the relay control wiring always gets 12V no matter what the voltage in the OEM wiring. That 12V then trips the relay, which is just a switch, to let the battery power flow to the ballasts.

I believe you could interrupt either the power from battery connection to the relay, or the power from the control unit to the relay, with a switch leg if you wanted a way to manually turn off the halos when the headlights are on.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #50
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
It would most likely cause a bulb out error in the dash.
No, it wouldn't, since the kit comes with resistors that fool the OEM system.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #51
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, it wouldn't, since the kit comes with resistors that fool the OEM system.
True.
      01-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #52
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Problem is someone else did this by tapping into a trigger wire in the ecu harness. It put his car into limp mode
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #53
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
HID halo color comparison

For reference, here are 6,000 degree Kelvin HID halos compared to the OEm (4.1-4.3K) headlights. The headlights look white until you compare them. IMO, 5k - 6k for both is optimum; I certainly would not go any bluer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #54
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
For reference, here are 6,000 degree Kelvin HID halos compared to the OEm (4.1-4.3K) headlights. The headlights look white until you compare them. IMO, 5k - 6k for both is optimum; I certainly would not go any bluer.
Nice thanks for the pics Greg... most people think the 6000k is a pure white but its hard to show it unless you compare it to the stock headlights. Yea ive done a couple 5000k and those are pure white and match the stock headlights perfect.

Thanks again for the comparison pics

User name lmims526894rou

Or contact me at chrism9551@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #55
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:

I believe you could interrupt either the power from battery connection to the relay, or the power from the control unit to the relay, with a switch leg if you wanted a way to manually turn off the halos when the headlights are on.

Greg, how would you go about turning the Halos off when your headlights are on?
I found the HID Halos to be way too bright at night- you can barely tell when the actual headlights are on.

Does anyone else find this?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #56
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Greg, how would you go about turning the Halos off when your headlights are on?
I found the HID Halos to be way too bright at night- you can barely tell when the actual headlights are on.

Does anyone else find this?
I told you how to turn them off. Install a switch that cuts the power to the relay.

You can tell when the headlights are on, since the headlight ring is much dimmer than the inner ring (by BMW design).

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #57
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I told you how to turn them off. Install a switch that cuts the power to the relay.

You can tell when the headlights are on, since the headlight ring is much dimmer than the inner ring (by BMW design).
Im going to have my guy who installed it do it for me, he is much better with this kind of stuff. But I want to explain or have an idea of what to tell him to do. I dont want to put the car im limp mode, as Chris mentioned above in his post about someone doing that by tapping into the ECU ?

And yes, you can tell theyre on, but when your looking at the car (head on) it not as noticable as it should be. I was driving with my lights off at night, (Halos ON) and my friend was outside waiting for me to pick him up and he didnt even notice, he thought my headlights were on.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #58
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Im going to have my guy who installed it do it for me, he is much better with this kind of stuff. But I want to explain or have an idea of what to tell him to do. I dont want to put the car im limp mode, as Chris mentioned above in his post about someone doing that by tapping into the ECU ?

And yes, you can tell theyre on, but when your looking at the car (head on) it not as noticable as it should be. I was driving with my lights off at night, (Halos ON) and my friend was outside waiting for me to pick him up and he didnt even notice, he thought my headlights were on.
They are nice and bright but not NEARLY as bright as the stock headlights for sure.......Like Greg said you can very easily add a switch between the relay for the HID's (wouldnt be able to do this with the stockers because you would have to tap into the ECU) but with HID's its very easy to do and you wont have to mess with your ECU or anything

for those that arent into the HID Halos because they are too bright Im experimenting my circuitry with LED's.... so that the LED's will run at the proper voltage (12v) and be MUCH brighter than LED's now for our cars but not as bright as the HID angels.....

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #59
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
They are nice and bright but not NEARLY as bright as the stock headlights for sure.......Like Greg said you can very easily add a switch between the relay for the HID's (wouldnt be able to do this with the stockers because you would have to tap into the ECU) but with HID's its very easy to do and you wont have to mess with your ECU or anything

for those that arent into the HID Halos because they are too bright Im experimenting my circuitry with LED's.... so that the LED's will run at the proper voltage (12v) and be MUCH brighter than LED's now for our cars but not as bright as the HID angels.....
When I say they are super bright, I dont mean they light up the road as if they were my headlights. I mean..when your facing the car, and you look at it - you can barely tell the headlights are on or off. Maybe my kit is brighter or different from the ones you sell? Im not sure...but its a little much for me!

I want to install this switch, sending you a PM now!

FYI, during the day they look unreal...by far the best looking mod for your angel eyes at this point..I tried LEDs, I tried the GP Thunder bulbs...but during the day - none of them did the job!
Anyways thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #60
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
When I say they are super bright, I dont mean they light up the road as if they were my headlights. I mean..when your facing the car, and you look at it - you can barely tell the headlights are on or off. Maybe my kit is brighter or different from the ones you sell? Im not sure...but its a little much for me!

I want to install this switch, sending you a PM now!

FYI, during the day they look unreal...by far the best looking mod for your angel eyes at this point..I tried LEDs, I tried the GP Thunder bulbs...but during the day - none of them did the job!
Anyways thanks man!
Yea i know what you mean about looking head on......im replying to your pm now

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #61
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Yea i know what you mean about looking head on......im replying to your pm now
thanks man! appreciate your help!
btw, did you decide about your roof ?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #62
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
thanks man! appreciate your help!
btw, did you decide about your roof ?
Just going to leave it for now....maybe a real cf overlay

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:45 AM   #63
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Is this still E92 only?

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #64
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Very Nice Greg... They look great. Im gonna be ordering mine soon to from camaross before I even get my car.
I was gonna go with the 8k's to match the 8k headlight bulds but
now after seeing your 6k i think thats just about as blue as I
want them...

Looks great congrats....

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 06:09 AM   #65
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

In my opinion the 6000k look perfectly white while looking straight at the car. But at night when you see the light reflect off stuff around the car it has just the faintest hint of blue.

While looking straight at the car with HIDs and headlights on the HID look brighter than the headlights, but you will notice from inside the car that the HIDs don't project their light forward like the headlights do. While driving it will be obvious to you if you're using your headlights or just the light from HIDs.

One nice thing about the HIDs being so bright at night is they light stuff up around the car close by that your headlights don't. They seem to help your peripheral vision at night, helping you to see what's on the sides of the road. Kinda nice if you have to watch out for deer or pedestrians or so.
      02-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #66
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
In my opinion the 6000k look perfectly white while looking straight at the car. But at night when you see the light reflect off stuff around the car it has just the faintest hint of blue.

While looking straight at the car with HIDs and headlights on the HID look brighter than the headlights, but you will notice from inside the car that the HIDs don't project their light forward like the headlights do. While driving it will be obvious to you if you're using your headlights or just the light from HIDs.

One nice thing about the HIDs being so bright at night is they light stuff up around the car close by that your headlights don't. They seem to help your peripheral vision at night, helping you to see what's on the sides of the road. Kinda nice if you have to watch out for deer or pedestrians or so.

Yep, I think 6000k takes the cake for the best setup!
And yes, while driving it is VERY clear whether my headlights are on or not, I never said it wasn't. Its only when you look at the car, (like you mentioned) that Angels are actually brighter then the Headlights - but this doesnt mean they light up the road, because they dont...AT ALL! Im going to install a switch to make them turn off when my headlights are on.
Appreciate 0