BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

My not so minor M3 hit and run damage..

I felt nothing when she hit my right rear quarter panel, just heard it... the car must be pretty solid and track well, because it turns out her car did push in some sheet metal... here are some pics

If it was just replacing the rear bumper cover, it was gonna be about $1400... now with all this extra damage, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
COR Photographer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

wow sorry to hear g/l
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Sorry to hear that...hope you get your M3 fixed soon!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Coincidentaly I also got a "minor" hit to the rear left side of the bumper today (2 hours in the new year...), and up until reading this post I thought it was just minor paint scrathes which can easily be repaired by taking out and repainting the bumper. Probably I should be worrying more...

BTW, I am not sure I understand what am I looking at in your pics but anyway. I guess I will have the verdict in my case on Monday!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Not a good way to start off the New Year.

2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

When the snow melted I washed my car to find a deep scratch in the bumper and a dent in the trunk lid. The trunk lid is now out of alignment. Discoverd this last Sunday and it really depressed me. Now I am in the process of getting it fixed.

Good luck on your repair. It kind of bothers me that I am so careful and then some large vehicle drifts into my car when parked and they don't even take responsibility.
      01-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
BTW, I am not sure I understand what am I looking at in your pics but anyway. I guess I will have the verdict in my case on Monday!
Why is it these M3s are magnets for collisions?!

Sorry about the pics... most of them with the exception of the one marked as such, are taken from behind the car, looking at the right rear corner, and one at the left rear corner. You can't tell that the metal is pushed in from the pics... but you can tell that the corner 'seal' is tearing, which is a result of the side panel bending in from the collision. Suffice to say it means at least a new plastic mounting panel, and time with the hydraulic press. He says they know how to press it out and make it as good as new. I don't see how, but I am not the pro.

Again, if I had been 50 milliseconds slower in reaction, my whole side would have been swiped... as it is, this was the only damage.

BTW, the right rear side is where the battery is... now I am worried that when they take out the batt, it's gonna mess everything up.... anybody know about that? will I lose all my radio settings, soft button settings...? Presumably all that crap is on the HDD inside the car, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Wow, sorry to hear newtom3. Any details of the accident? It sounds like you were in the car when a female driver hit you, but then she was able to get away without you getting the license plate? Must have been insult to injury to see her get away like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm coming down the street, right in front of Stanford Mall (next to the univ) and she starts pulling out of the mall parking lot, looking down at her blackberry or whatever... I see her and start turning away, more and more towards the oncoming lane, and at the last split second she clips the rear. I pull over, she finishes her left turn out of the parking lot proceeding slowly...as if she was going to uturn and come back and deal with me. But she zips around the corner and is gone. I took after about 3 seconds of scratching my head and wondering what to make of this... and she was nowhere to be seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #10
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

sorry to hear..that sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post
I'm coming down the street, right in front of Stanford Mall (next to the univ) and she starts pulling out of the mall parking lot, looking down at her blackberry or whatever... I see her and start turning away, more and more towards the oncoming lane, and at the last split second she clips the rear. I pull over, she finishes her left turn out of the parking lot proceeding slowly...as if she was going to uturn and come back and deal with me. But she zips around the corner and is gone. I took after about 3 seconds of scratching my head and wondering what to make of this... and she was nowhere to be seen.
Incredible...

I discovered a HUZE scratch & dent on the passenger side (not in my M3) a couple of months ago whilst my other car was parked (legaly) on a parking spot by the side of the road. A stupid bitch did this whilst driving recklessly as she turned from a corner and she of course tried to abandon the scene. I was sooo lucky that a man passing by stopped her and asked her to leave a note on my car with her contact details but guess what: she gave him a false phone number!!! Fortunately this guy was not a newbe (and probably had enough spare time?) so he immediately called the mobile only to discover it was BS! Then he blocked her car (by the time a few more people were gathered at the scene) and called the police! Man, and this guy was a total stranger to me!!! Goes without saying that appart from damages to my car which she had to admit (and her insurance eventually pay), I also sued her as a person for giving false contact details (the court hearing hasn't taken place yet and I am not sure if I will make anything out of it but I did it purely to give her hell and I will take this till the end with appeals etc if she is found not guilty).

There are surely some f***k up minds out there who think they can BS their way out of their mess. Thank God there are also some good Samaritians amongst us...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post
wow this sucks....contact the Mall I'm sure they have surveillance cameras that are usually high tech and could zoom in and get the licence plate then go to the police....GoodLuck

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

sorry to hear man. good luck with the repair
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

monsta, not a bad idea at all.. wish I had thought of that! I bet they had that angle on tape. I will contact them.

gr8000... i bet your good Samaritan had a hit and run happen to him... as God is my witness, if I see something like this happen I will at least get my iPhone out and photo the car, the person and their license plate, no matter what they do or don't do.

thanks to all for your concern. I'll post pics when it's all done. Here is the problem with this... I have to disclose this should I sell the car, and no matter what I saw about this is only cosmetic, it's gonna cost me in resale... so the hit and runner really hit my three times.. once in the car, once on my $1000 deductible and now again on the resale...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
surfcitym3
Rep

Harsh man. Someone scrapped the side of my old porsche cayman in Albertsons, i came out and no one around had seen anything and whoever it was didn't even leave a number or anything! $2k in body shop bills!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

what a nightmare. sorry dude
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #17
GTM
United_States
Rep

Stuff like that gets the nerves really bad...
I would be really PISSED too.

Good luck with repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #18
jamesisel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3

wow. i'd be pissed! hope you're good as new soon.
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Man that's sad. I've been run into as well. Feel your pain. Hope the car runs good as new once the repairs are done.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

the car runs perfectly, far as I can tell... I should get it back by mid week. Parts actually came fast considering it's an 09... the rear bumper cover came from Germany in like 7 days... waiting on the plastic mount still.... s/b Mon or Tue. Having read other posts on this forum, I had the perception BMW was somewhat disorganized and that parts would take forever, esp for a new model year, but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK

this is bullcrap. NYC drivers are the worse. Someone (trucker) came up too close during a lane change and left a nice scratch on my rear driver's bumper cover. How much is it to replace? are they pre-painted?
Appreciate 0