BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

11-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Bluetooth not allowing car to turn off electronics?

So everytime I'm on a phone call (in bluetooth mode) then I turn off the car (hit the engine start button twice), everything turns off except for the bluetooth when I'm still on the call. In my friend's Lexus & my other vehicle w/an aftermarket headunit (w/bluetooth), all you gotta do is tap a button on the screen to transfer the call to the phone & then turn off the car. I did this (transfer call to phone) but yet when I hit the engine start button to turn off the electronics, it won't let me since the screen is still in bluetooth mode. My question is, what am I doing wrong here? When I get out of the car, I really don't want to tell the person on the phone I'll call them right back just b/c I have to hangup the phone (while in bluetooth mode), turn off electronics (hit engine start button) then call them back. Thx!

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

With the BMW, you use the handset to route the audio from the car back to the handset.

With some handsets when you get back into the car, the audio with route through the car automatically ... and with some you need to manually switch it. If you have a cradle, you can push the audio toggle button to switch between handset and car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
With the BMW, you use the handset to route the audio from the car back to the handset.

With some handsets when you get back into the car, the audio with route through the car automatically ... and with some you need to manually switch it. If you have a cradle, you can push the audio toggle button to switch between handset and car.
I did route the audio from the car back to the handset (iPhone) yet I still can't turn off the electronics (nav. screen, etc.). I have to end the call then I can turn off the electronics. I don't have a cradle/adapter.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Ok, so once the audio is routed back to the phone, even if i-Drive fails to shutdown properly, you can leave the car, lock it with comfort access or the key fob and i-Drive will eventually go to sleep. I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
Gemcoska
Sleepy Member, wishing I was on the road.
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

agreed, but I have had all those frustrating problems before also. Even more annoying, when you switch from bluetooth to your handset, the radio comes on blasting. I could never get the bluetooth to pick up a call while already on one. For instance, I'd talk on the phone, walk to my car, get in and start up. The handset would say its connected to blue tooth, I wouldn't be able to hear anything from my handset, the blue tooth from the idrive says its connected, but no sound. Sucks
      11-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Ok, so once the audio is routed back to the phone, even if i-Drive fails to shutdown properly, you can leave the car, lock it with comfort access or the key fob and i-Drive will eventually go to sleep. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thx for the info! When I switch it back to the handset, the screen is always on the bluetooth screen. I just worry that:

1) When I walk far enough away from the M3, bluetooth will cut off (since it's out of range) & disconnect my call or

2) When I walk away, lock the M3 & iDrive eventually turns itself off (like you said) then my call might get disconnected.

Can anyone verify these 2 situations won't happen? I'll try it later this week when I get back in town if I don't get a response by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemcoska View Post
agreed, but I have had all those frustrating problems before also. Even more annoying, when you switch from bluetooth to your handset, the radio comes on blasting. I could never get the bluetooth to pick up a call while already on one. For instance, I'd talk on the phone, walk to my car, get in and start up. The handset would say its connected to blue tooth, I wouldn't be able to hear anything from my handset, the blue tooth from the idrive says its connected, but no sound. Sucks
I feel for you. I don't know about your setup but when I walk into the car already in a conversation, the M3's bluetooth will detect the bluetooth phone asap but I won't be able to hear anything for 1-2 mins also...then after those 1-2 mins I can hear the caller on the M3's speakers. Since I can't wait 1-2 mins for that to happen, the moment I start the car I just switch the call into the handset since the phone detects it's in bluetooth mode the moment you turn on the car then I just switch back into bluetooth mode after those 1-2 mins if that makes sense. Such a hassle, argh!!!

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
darren1713
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Bluetooth Problems

My phone also disconnects for 1-2 minutes when I first get in my car and I have to manually re-route the call back to the cell. I have had this problem with a Blackberry 8830 and a Blackberry 9530. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

This only happens when I start the car after it is entirely shut down. When I first turn the ignition off the car goes into a sleep, but doesn't actually shut down for some time. This is apparent because the satellite radio turns back on immediately if I turn the ignition back on, and the bluetooth syncs immediately. I have to leave the car for 5-10 minutes for it to fully shut down, and then it takes ~30 second for the satellite radio to re-sync and 1-2 minutes for the bluetooth. Does anyone know how to get the car to fully shut down without waiting forever? I'm trying to prove to BMW that they have a problem...
Appreciate 0