BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

11-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

White or green cutting bad on a new m3?

So I am coming up on the time of owning my car for about 4 months and want to give it the first polish with my PC. I have never done a new car before.

So I ordered some light green cutting which I prefer to orange as they can actually finish nicely without "needing" to use a white/black finisher but with a new car I would definetly be fnishing with the white.

The polishes I have are from menzerna
-Intensive polish (light-medium cutting)
-final finish polish (minimal cutting/finishing)

So my question is with silverstone paint with no swirls or any "damage" would you suggest a two step process with green pad/intensive followed by white/final finish? Or with a new car would just doing the white pad with final finish be enough since there is nothing to really "correct".

On a related note I have to say the menzerna products are amazing! I polished my 10 year old jeep black cherokee and even with just the green cutting and intensive polish it looks brand new and finished down beautifully. I do not have motivation to do a two step on that thing! But if you are on the fence about products these are definetly better than Zaino or Poor brothers which are the other two I have used.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

In my experience, the silverstone II paint is a really hard paint. Next to your jeep, it's diamond hard.

the upside is I have practically no swirls and the last time I polished the was was in autumn 2010, about a year ago. (I use a 2 bucket method and srtip and wax the car every month)

the downside, the PC doesn't cut it when it comes to correction. last time I polished the car, it only had light swirls from washing, it took a surbuf pad (an LC orange did not get me anywhere) with meg 105 at speed 5 to 6 with a lot of pressure to achieve any work. It also took a lot of time. funny enough it was almost the only step needed, I still followed it with a white pad and meg 205, but it's a testament to how hard the paint is.

My advice is get a rotary for this one, that's what I'm going to do.
      11-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Hmm, I do not believe for a new car that a PC with an orange or potentially a yellow pad with aggressive polish would not take care of anything. Maybe if the car had tons of swirls but a brand new car with no swirls or scratches I think rotary may be overkill. I basically want to "clean" the paint and no correction is needed on a new car. that may change as the car gets older but for a brand new paint job that you are happy with and are obviously not going to wetsand or anything, white or green?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Hmm, I do not believe for a new car that a PC with an orange or potentially a yellow pad with aggressive polish would not take care of anything. Maybe if the car had tons of swirls but a brand new car with no swirls or scratches I think rotary may be overkill. I basically want to "clean" the paint and no correction is needed on a new car. that may change as the car gets older but for a brand new paint job that you are happy with and are obviously not going to wetsand or anything, white or green?
I was only illustrating the hardness of the BMW silverstone paint vs his jeep. so that he knows what to expect in the future.

But you are right, on a brand new car, he could just go with something equivalent to meg 205, followed by a sealant or wax.
      11-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Question... I am still learning a bit so take what I say with a grain of salt

If your paint has no swirls or damage, why would you really polish it at all? If it were me, I would probably use the white pad and finishing product, then a good wax/sealant. I wouldn't bother using anything that cuts at all, especially if there are no swirls or damage to your paint.

It may be different for me... I think AW is pretty soft paint. Even after I used my PC for some corrections, there seem to be some new swirls on the trunk

Good thing is that I have a four day weekend this weekend, and I should have plenty of time to baby the car. The interior is still good from my last job, but she is in need of a wash. I will probably do some serious exterior work this weekend since I have nothing else to do
      11-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
In my experience, the silverstone II paint is a really hard paint.
Why is Silverstone II harder than any other color, the clearcoat is the same?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Question... I am still learning a bit so take what I say with a grain of salt

If your paint has no swirls or damage, why would you really polish it at all? If it were me, I would probably use the white pad and finishing product, then a good wax/sealant. I wouldn't bother using anything that cuts at all, especially if there are no swirls or damage to your paint.

It may be different for me... I think AW is pretty soft paint. Even after I used my PC for some corrections, there seem to be some new swirls on the trunk

Good thing is that I have a four day weekend this weekend, and I should have plenty of time to baby the car. The interior is still good from my last job, but she is in need of a wash. I will probably do some serious exterior work this weekend since I have nothing else to do
Young Jedi you have much to learn! While you are correct that with no swirls or scratches there is no "need" to polish but a polished paint with some light cutting activity will make the paint "pop" in a way that non-polished paint will, even after wax/sealant. It brings out the depth of the paint and shine in a way you will never get otherwise. Especially on black or dark colors and to be honest it may be a bit of a waste on a silver/grey/white car but nonetheless I notice it
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Why is Silverstone II harder than any other color, the clearcoat is the same?
i agree, clearcoat on all cars are the same. i'm sure the paint might be harder or softer but when polishing, you don't polish paint...

Fuelly :: Adelei's Gas Mileage
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
In my experience, the silverstone II paint is a really hard paint. Next to your jeep, it's diamond hard.
All colors have the same hard or soft clear coat. The color itself isn't polished unless it's an older car that doesn't have a clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

if you arent trying to remove defects, then just polish with final polish and a black pad. Its going to amp the gloss tremendously. speed 6, black pad, final finish = awesome!
Appreciate 0