BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

02-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0

Does this bumper match in good?

Ok, for the guys that have been following this for the past couple of weeks now, I know its annoying that I keep posting about this damn bumper. But if you put yourself in my shoes you would probably do the same.

I gave the shop a retry to repaint the bumper and they did a good job at what it looks like, they compared it with the old bumper but it still looks too white. They said that when I add the clear coat (its on my hood and fenders ATM) that it will get that plasticy look and will blend in better. Its way better than before but I still am not satisfied. What do you guys think?

*Up close you cant really tell and it looks good but from a distance it still looks off*

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

By looking at the cars in the back, I can tell this is not a reputable paint shop. Looks off from far as you said. GL man!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Looks fine in the pics but what is the point of repeatedly posting this on here? Do you think it's off? If so then have it redone at another shop. Who cares what Internet people think.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Looks fine in the pics but what is the point of repeatedly posting this on here? Do you think it's off? If so then have it redone at another shop. Who cares what Internet people think.
^This.. plus I'll add that its almost impossible to really determine from a picture if the color is right on.

You need to see it in person..in the sun..period
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Go to a proper shop .
      02-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
What's the point of posting pictures of your car on here? It's a forum, it's what its for. If you don't like that I keep posting don't bother opening it or commenting, it's that easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

ooff what a nightmare man. It's really tough to tell on the pic. In one pic, it looks okay, then 3rd pic the way light reflects, it's not even close. I say based on my best judgement, it's still off!

You really need to take this to a shop that knows what they're doing. You're not taking a "insurance recommended" shop are you? Find the best body shop out there that has a track record of matching BMW factory paint. Mineral white is difficult to do since it has the metallic flakes, and in all 3 pics, it looks like they're missing that part of it in the paint.

There's a shop out here in the DC metro area that always has Audi R8s, BMWs, MB, Bentleys etc in their lot with body damage. Those are the type of shops that know what they're doing.

Can we ask what metro area you're based in? There HAS to be a shop out there that can get it done. What about your BMW dealer recommended body shop? Usually they have a relationship where they can get the proper paint color mix from BMW. (not that it's a secret) But they would have experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
rogi16012
rog
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2016 981 GT4

Matching white paint is pretty difficult, I learned that when my front fender got smashed in by some idiots. Even if you paint the bumper mineral white, there's still going to be a difference between the two colors. The best thing to do is blend the paint so parts of the fenders and the hood have to be painted so that you get a nice even flow instead of an obvious line dividing the two. If they're already doing that and it's still looks off then forget everything I said lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
ooff what a nightmare man. It's really tough to tell on the pic. In one pic, it looks okay, then 3rd pic the way light reflects, it's not even close. I say based on my best judgement, it's still off!

You really need to take this to a shop that knows what they're doing. You're not taking a "insurance recommended" shop are you? Find the best body shop out there that has a track record of matching BMW factory paint. Mineral white is difficult to do since it has the metallic flakes, and in all 3 pics, it looks like they're missing that part of it in the paint.

There's a shop out here in the DC metro area that always has Audi R8s, BMWs, MB, Bentleys etc in their lot with body damage. Those are the type of shops that know what they're doing.

Can we ask what metro area you're based in? There HAS to be a shop out there that can get it done. What about your BMW dealer recommended body shop? Usually they have a relationship where they can get the proper paint color mix from BMW. (not that it's a secret) But they would have experience.
Well this is the BMW recommended shop in my area.. I called the top manager for the shop and he said "let's add the clear bra on and see if it changes it" and if not i have no idea what I will do. I was thinking about trying to order a MW bumper from BMW already painted and pay out of pocket for it but I'll have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Did they use correct paint code? looks like your car has metallic paint, and the bumper is just normal white. Not a good paint job.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #11
daniyo
Space Gray ZCP
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Colors def. look off from a distance... must be frustrating OP, hang in there. I'd get some pics in the sunlight when you can, that'll be the true test.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #12
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeriOus View Post
Colors def. look off from a distance... must be frustrating OP, hang in there. I'd get some pics in the sunlight when you can, that'll be the true test.
Yes i will get some tomorrow since I had to leave it in so they can put the bumper back together. Wish me luck
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Need to see more pics in the sun. DO NOT put a clear bra on the car for at least 4 weeks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

I see it also on my car,and it's 100 % oem paint from the factory(Silverstone II) and never repainted !
What i wanted to say is....different materials,bumper-frontspoiler is plastic,hood is aluminium;doors...metal.
So difference in surface..(.material) gifs a different shine in the color; the hood is aluminium and shine's most on every ///M3 !
And with any bright color....MW in your case it's even more visible !
Why i now this...my friend is the owner of a top paint shop !
But i see it in the pics of you...it's just to white...your oem paint is more grayer with more shine on it.
Conclusion...outside in the day light it is even worse, and they must do better !!!
But it will be not easy...even not in a very good paint shop

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 02-08-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyM3 View Post
What's the point of posting pictures of your car on here? It's a forum, it's what its for. If you don't like that I keep posting don't bother opening it or commenting, it's that easy.
Im not telling you not to post pics of your car in general. But its not like you are posting pics of new mods or a photoshoot, etc.

All Im saying is your repeated posts about your bumper are pointless. If I tell you it looks fine will you just take my word for it and leave it alone? Maybe you would, but I hope you can make your own judgment call.

No one on here can tell you what is acceptable to you. Bottom line is if YOU think its not done correctly than get it fixed! Its that easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Im not telling you not to post pics of your car in general. But its not like you are posting pics of new mods or a photoshoot, etc.

All Im saying is your repeated posts about your bumper are pointless. If I tell you it looks fine will you just take my word for it and leave it alone? Maybe you would, but I hope you can make your own judgment call.

No one on here can tell you what is acceptable to you. Bottom line is if YOU think its not done correctly than get it fixed! Its that easy.
Not agreed...
Why....imagine you...in his place !!!
It must be very frustrating ...and maybe...you had done the same thing
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Not agreed...
If I was in his place I would man-up and have my bumper repaired properly at a qualified shop. If I was not happy with the work then I would have them redo it or simply find another shop.

What I WOULD NOT DO is come on here and post a thread asking complete strangers if they thought the color match on my car was ok. Because I would know that I am the owner of my car and only I can decide if the work is acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
I see it also on my car,and it's 100 % oem paint from the factory(Silverstone II) and never repainted !
What i wanted to say is....different materials,bumper-frontspoiler is plastic,hood is aluminium;doors...metal.
So difference in surface..(.material) gifs a different shine in the color; the hood is aluminium and shine's most on every ///M3 !
And with any bright color....AW in your case it's even more visible !
Why i now this...my friend is the owner of a top paint shop !
But i see it in the pics of you...it's just to white...your oem paint is more grayer with more shine on it.
Conclusion...outside in the day light it is even worse, and they must do better !!!
But it will be not easy...even not in a very good paint shop
EXACTLY>>I said that on one of his other threads and it was properly ignored..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

MW A96 is next to impossible to match. BMW can't even get it right. We have taken 20+ MW samples now in order to get a perfect paint match on MW products and all cars tested don't even match eachother.
      02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
If I was in his place I would man-up and have my bumper repaired properly at a qualified shop. If I was not happy with the work then I would have them redo it or simply find another shop.

What I WOULD NOT DO is come on here and post a thread asking complete strangers if they thought the color match on my car was ok. Because I would know that I am the owner of my car and only I can decide if the work is acceptable.
Agreed...but even in a qualified shop....MW... will not be easy !
BTW...look the comment of IND ...^^^^ and i think they ar qualified...

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 02-08-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
A-Man
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I had a black car where the bumper was damaged.. too ensure the paint didn't look 'off', they blended the paint in and pained the fenders as well.. turned out pretty good.. the off colour would bug me in a light colour far too much..
      02-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
Quote:
Not agreed...

Dose it say anywhere in the rules where I cannot post pictures of my bumper and can only of "mods or a photo shoot" like you said in your last reply? No, so if you don't like me posting this pointless threads go on with your life and ignore it. I put these pictures up to share with the rest of the forum how bad a BMW recommended shop can paint your car, and also to get some opinions on the matter. So if you don't like it, move on
Appreciate 0