BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

GT-R warranty void after launch video....

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/01/16...aunch-control/

Saw this on the e90 side and thought it was an instant classic.

Post your favorite quotes...

Mine was "Then there was that asshole in the R8..."
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Post of the day. Hilarious. Very nice work by the fellow who put that together.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

Really good post. Nissan just doesn't have the quality and the good sense to market the car and then stand behind their product. That's why I have an M3 and not a Nissan.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

@ the video.

So, will the nerfed Launch Control not void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

i love this video.

All the porsche owners.. hahah

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

So he's going to take the car to the track at, um, "Nuremburg"?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

haha classic
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
So he's going to take the car to the track at, um, "Nuremburg"?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #9
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

That video still makes me crap my pants from laughing so hard.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

2010 GT-R warranty

Don't know if this has been posted but found it interesting....all of the hype about runs at the Nurburgring and now we find out that driving on the track voids the warranty? I had thought about buying one of these before I bought the M3...glad I didn't!! I had a "freak" transmission failure of 3rd gear in my Ford GT while on the track...Ford replaced the entire transmission! Guess where my allegience lies! Don't think Nissan would do the same.

Exclusions and Limitations to Manufacturers Warranty
Please read your GT-R Warranty Information Booklet carefully. The Nissan GT-R warranty provides you with extensive coverage when the vehicle is operated in accordance with the Owner’s Manual. The warranty includes a number of other specific conditions, exclusions and limitations, which include (but are not limited to) exclusions due to failures resulting from:

Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner’s Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow;

Not adhering to the service and maintenance requirements set out in the Nissan GT-R Owner’s Manual and the Service and Maintenance Guide, including failures resulting from the use of non-Genuine Nissan Parts or required or recommended fluids;

Improper repairs or services rendered at facilities other than Nissan Certified GT-R dealerships;

Failing to have the Performance Optimization Services completed in a timely manner;

Genuine Nissan Parts not intended for use on the GT-R, including NISMO parts not specifically designed and manufactured for application to the GT-R, or any non-Genuine Nissan Parts;

Replacing a GT-R special specification part with a non-GT-R special specification part (see GT-R Owner’s Manual for the list of GT-R special specification parts);

I cannot imagine this...does this mean that the mighty Nissan GT-R can only be driven on public roads?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
Malarky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Absolutely dynamite.
      04-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #12
ericlikescars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: murder.

This is my ringtone on my phone for one of my buddies that owns a GTR, aha.
      04-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #13
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclenirvana View Post
Don't know if this has been posted but found it interesting....all of the hype about runs at the Nurburgring and now we find out that driving on the track voids the warranty? I had thought about buying one of these before I bought the M3...glad I didn't!! I had a "freak" transmission failure of 3rd gear in my Ford GT while on the track...Ford replaced the entire transmission! Guess where my allegience lies! Don't think Nissan would do the same.

Exclusions and Limitations to Manufacturers Warranty
Please read your GT-R Warranty Information Booklet carefully. The Nissan GT-R warranty provides you with extensive coverage when the vehicle is operated in accordance with the Owner’s Manual. The warranty includes a number of other specific conditions, exclusions and limitations, which include (but are not limited to) exclusions due to failures resulting from:

Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner’s Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow;

Not adhering to the service and maintenance requirements set out in the Nissan GT-R Owner’s Manual and the Service and Maintenance Guide, including failures resulting from the use of non-Genuine Nissan Parts or required or recommended fluids;

Improper repairs or services rendered at facilities other than Nissan Certified GT-R dealerships;

Failing to have the Performance Optimization Services completed in a timely manner;

Genuine Nissan Parts not intended for use on the GT-R, including NISMO parts not specifically designed and manufactured for application to the GT-R, or any non-Genuine Nissan Parts;

Replacing a GT-R special specification part with a non-GT-R special specification part (see GT-R Owner’s Manual for the list of GT-R special specification parts);

I cannot imagine this...does this mean that the mighty Nissan GT-R can only be driven on public roads?
This is nothing new. Most manufactures will not uphold a warranty claim if they know the car has seen some time on the track. They all word it differently, but it usually comes down to, whether it was a timed competition, or if it was a "driver improvement" course. Obviously there's some gray area in between the 2, but I wouldn't go boasting to your BMW Service Rep, that your car has seen a lot of track time, when you are looking for them to peform some warranty work.
      04-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #14
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
It's funny but I showed this video to a friend and he didn't really get it at all. Maybe you really need to be into cars and know what's been happening throughout all of the brands.

Personally I rate this one of the best spoof videos EVER.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
This is nothing new. Most manufactures will not uphold a warranty claim if they know the car has seen some time on the track. They all word it differently, but it usually comes down to, whether it was a timed competition, or if it was a "driver improvement" course. Obviously there's some gray area in between the 2, but I wouldn't go boasting to your BMW Service Rep, that your car has seen a lot of track time, when you are looking for them to peform some warranty work.
My service rep passed aong a story of this guy who destroyed two MT on a new e92 M3. BMW replaced both trannies even after downloading info from the ECU documenting abuse. It took the guy one week to destroy the second tranny. Including an ECU flash and a top speed of 180+. BMW can and will step up to the plate in some cases. Not sure why this guy got the 2nd tranny... Anyway, they warned him it was his last one.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #16
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
My service rep passed aong a story of this guy who destroyed two MT on a new e92 M3. BMW replaced both trannies even after downloading info from the ECU documenting abuse. It took the guy one week to destroy the second tranny. Including an ECU flash and a top speed of 180+. BMW can and will step up to the plate in some cases. Not sure why this guy got the 2nd tranny... Anyway, they warned him it was his last one.
If that story is true, my guess is that BMW is cognizant of potential PR issues. I must assume that Nissan's approach has hurt them in some way. If I were seriously considering a GTR purchase, and I learned that de-activating traction control/DSC/VDC or whatever meant voiding of warranty and that Nissan was actually acting on that, I would simply say screw you and walk away. For instance, if BMW started voiding M3 warranties because people drove them in HPDEs, I would get rid of the car and never buy another BMW (I bought two new BMWs so far). That doesn't mean that I think BMW should replace the transmission of an idiot twice who doesn't know how to treat his car, but it might mean that BMW does not want any potential negative publicity around its warranty proposition.
      04-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

I have seen a few expensive cars develop issues at the track. I think you have to differentiate those things that are the result of "abuse" vs. those issues unrelated to a track event. Ferrari and Lambo stand by their cars. My Ford Dealer is well aware that I take my Ford GT to the track, as they do the pre-track prep. When I developed a freak tranny problem while at VIR, I pulled my car directly to my dealership. Transmission replaced under warranty. I am always upfront with my dealer about where I drive my car. Both my local BMW contacts are instructors at BMW club events. I know of several people who have had rotors replaced under warranty (all driven aggressively but not abusively at track events)...now if you push this too much, you could be denied.
So, my experience may be different from others....but I think Nissan may be taking a different stand than other superperformance car manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I personally don't mind paying for consumable items such as rotors and pads when I do HPDEs, and include them as a part of the cost. I think that's fair. But I do think the drivetrain of an M car should hold up when it is pushed during HPDEs (without abuse). So far, the M3 feels rock solid to me in that regard. If you can't stand behind your car in that manner, why even build it with the specs it has, and advertise it the way you do. Clearly, Nissan doesn't aggree.
      04-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I was surprised also, once ok, who knows exactly what happened. But twice?

I agree Lucid, PR is everything, once you start losing the loyal following your just another car brand trying to make it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #20
Dontbethatguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Manual

"That car would own face on the track." That's hilarious!