BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM
View Poll Results: Cost of repairs from 25k to 85k miles
Less than $500 5 26.32%
$500 to $2000 7 36.84%
$2000 to $4500 3 15.79%
$4500 to $7000 2 10.53%
$7000+ (what happened) 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

03-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #23
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3 View Post
I read it the other way. Basic economics tell you not to buy it unless the catastrophic case would be life changing, not just expensive.

Net Present Value of Expected Repairs < Cost (otherwise warranty providers wouldn't make money).

For example, I have health insurance because if someone in my family were to get cancer, the cost of care could bankrupt me. I have life insurance, so that my wife can afford to live similarly without my sole income. I have car insurance because if, God forbid, I hurt someone in an accident or crash into a Bugatti, I don't go bankrupt.

I don't pay for extended warranties because I can afford to pay to fix it and just have less emergency cash. No big deal. I'm not going to make a poor economic decision unless the marginal value the comfort provides is worth more than the profit the counterparty stands to make.

Personally, they never make sense for me since I drive so few miles and I'd always run out of time before I was close to the mileage mark. If I could get a warranty to 100k miles with no time limit, it may be worth it cuz I wouldn't get there for another 18 years, LOL.
Depends on if you read the bearing thread yet...if you did, than it will warp your perception of your risk. Like it did mine...lol. You will believe that the probability is fairly high that your car will have bearing problems in the future and a 3k payment sure is nicer than a 25k loss to replace the engine.
I will admit that your logic is sound and the probability is low....

Last edited by M3-S65; 03-10-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #24
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Shit, iv only had to take is car for repair 3 times, 1 for increased emissions, which was under warranty but would have been a couple grand cause they replace a sensor but it didnt fix it and the sensor they had to replace was under the intake, and the 2nd and 3rd time for blown premium sound subwoofers at a cost of almost $600 per time(warranty covered tho) and those are minor things so just imagine.
Warranties are a good thing!