BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #353
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
The NT-01 is more like a street tire near the limits than a more pure race tire like a Hoosier A6, BFG R1/R1S, etc. The NT-01 howls pretty loudly as you approach the peak of the tractive force curve and yells once you're over it. It's probably the most benign R-comp tire out there.

I would suggest that drivers moving up in experience go to the BFG Rival. It will wear much longer than the NT-01, is almost as fast if not as fast, and it has a lot of grip still at high slip angles. It's an amazingly impressive tire. I'm using them to autocross in F-stock street tire class, and have had outstanding results.
Tell me more about the rivals, please. Have you done track time on them or only autocross? Heat tolerance? Audible feedback? The NT01's are extremely easy to drive at the limit due to their feedback. Not the ultimate grip of the tires you mentioned above, but super communicative, long lasting, and fun. Great HPDE tire. I raced on them in my JP E36. Lasted a long time.

However, I'm always interested in new tires, so your recommendation on the rival is interesting.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #354
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I thought the rival was more of a peer of the advan ad08 or the like not the nt01 at all. The nt01 is a low end comp tire but far far superior to any extreme performance summer. Actually made me hate driving on ad08s. Feel like driving dry vs wet.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #355
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Tell me more about the rivals, please. Have you done track time on them or only autocross? Heat tolerance? Audible feedback? The NT01's are extremely easy to drive at the limit due to their feedback. Not the ultimate grip of the tires you mentioned above, but super communicative, long lasting, and fun. Great HPDE tire. I raced on them in my JP E36. Lasted a long time.

However, I'm always interested in new tires, so your recommendation on the rival is interesting.
I was mainly referring to people moving up in HPDE and pondering whether to go to the NT-01 or not.

I wish I could back-to-back compare the Rival to the NT-01. The NT-01 would likely come out on top by a bit (but not a large margin), but the Rival "feels" a lot like the NT-01 and actually deals better with managing the zone around peak tractive force where it will take more slip angle than you think without falling off as fast. It feels "crisper" on turn-in too...much more so than the NT-01.

The other helper for those just moving up to stickier tires is that the Rival is far more streetable than the NT-01 of course, and it will wear much longer.

I've done autocrosses and what I would call a "time trial" event with the Rivals so far (BMW Performance Center autocross). I've PAX'd in the top 10 at all the autox events so far including one 1st overall PAX -- this is more of an indicator of how incredible the M3 is in F-stock however. At the Perf Center event, I got FTD for the event even though I was on the "street" tire, Rival, as others were using R-comps. It was a long (~1.5 min) course with peak speeds near top of 3rd. Next time I go to that event will probably be on BFG R1S tires or the Hoosier A6s I have for the M5 -- not sure yet.

Here is the PC event with the M3 on Rivals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFhtzGsXD6M

Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but here is a PC event last fall where I took my E39 M5 on the NT-01s (when the tread splices opened up): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObQiqzp3r8

Regards,
Chuck
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #356
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Put 7 track days and about 1,500 street miles on my first set of NT01s. No splicing issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #357
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Ran a new set of NT01's (2113) on 09/22/2013, and no splice after one day. *fingers crossed*
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #358
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Ran day 2 on the new set and no splice still.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #359
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Ran day 2 on the new set and no splice still.
I have 2 of 4 now with pretty decent splice.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #360
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I have 2 of 4 now with pretty decent splice.
What's the date code?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #361
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
What's the date code?
Mine are old. I got a set with one day on them on here. They are 32-12.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #362
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

I don't wanna derail the topic too far, but at the end I do have a relevant question.

I've been on Rivals for the better half of this year (6 days), and this is what I've experienced.
- Rivals wear minimally and evenly compared to Star Spec Z1s which I ate up the shoulders in a few days.
- My friend with a same car but with NT01s gave me a ride, and I can definitely say he brakes 1-1.5 brake markers beyond mine. ABS would kick in if I try to brake any harder to replicate his level of deceleration.
- Controllable at the limit, and easy to recover. Noise is moderate.
- Soft thus not as precise as Z1s, but accurate and has wide range of peak grip (when not overheated!), even when sliding a bit. But again, I don't think they have that much grip as to even compare to NT01s.
- My complaint... Overheats and falls off after like 10 min, quicker if it's a warm day. This really frustrates me. I'm trying to set decent lap times after a few sessions of warm up and regurgitating the lines, but I always seem to have better lap times in the first morning sessions and/or within the first few laps of each session. As they heat up lap after lap, they start plowing more and more until I have to pit in and take a break. Do NT01s also have this issue?

PS - I noticed a splice in one or more of my Rivals. I'll take a pic later.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #363
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I don't have that issue with nt01s. I typically get faster as the day goes. Both because my confidence level grows and I replicate lap after lap braking deeper and using more slip angle. I usually set my fast lap on the last lap of the last session then call it a day. Haven't overheated them only ran the pressure up too high at times and had to bleed some off.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #364
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
I don't have that issue with nt01s. I typically get faster as the day goes. Both because my confidence level grows and I replicate lap after lap braking deeper and using more slip angle. I usually set my fast lap on the last lap of the last session then call it a day. Haven't overheated them only ran the pressure up too high at times and had to bleed some off.
Do you really consistently set your fastest lap as the last lap of the last session? I personally have no idea when I set mine as usually a clear track and/or ambient conditions have more of a factor as well as confidence, as you mentioned. If it's my first time at the track, then most likely the last lap will be the fastest, but the normal progression isn't that linear for me...
      10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #365
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Do you really consistently set your fastest lap as the last lap of the last session? I personally have no idea when I set mine as usually a clear track and/or ambient conditions have more of a factor as well as confidence, as you mentioned. If it's my first time at the track, then most likely the last lap will be the fastest, but the normal progression isn't that linear for me...
That has been the trend for me lately. I would say I work on things throughout the day and my last session I really try to blaze and put it all together. There is also almost no traffic in my last session as others have all gone home. I think that is a big part of it because normally I catch someone and affects the lap. Not to say I dog it the rest of the day but I have more catches and push the hardest late then call it a day. I always feel I have specific areas to fine tune with each track day so use my sessions to hone it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #366
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That has been the trend for me lately. I would say I work on things throughout the day and my last session I really try to blaze and put it all together. There is also almost no traffic in my last session as others have all gone home. I think that is a big part of it because normally I catch someone and affects the lap. Not to say I dog it the rest of the day but I have more catches and push the hardest late then call it a day. I always feel I have specific areas to fine tune with each track day so use my sessions to hone it.
Sounds very disciplined and regimented, 2 words that I can't comprehend I should start working on things too, but I have no idea where to even start...I usually think it's just balls and nothing else, as we all have fairly similar technical skills...I think
      10-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #367
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

The NT01s are very predictable and don't fall off. I would say that the grip improves slightly over time. They give you the feedback to let you know when you are approaching the limit which is good for someone who is at an intermediate level like me. I can drive them to and from the track with no problem. The price can't be beat either. My best lap times seem to be the 3rd/4th session of the day.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #368
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds very disciplined and regimented, 2 words that I can't comprehend I should start working on things too, but I have no idea where to even start...I usually think it's just balls and nothing else, as we all have fairly similar technical skills...I think
I don't know that I agree with the last part. I think what makes a good driver is an analytical approach and then the balls to go do it. Lots of people think they are good drivers but don't use the whole track, brake too early, short shift, way to little slip angle and on and on. I'm not great and am the first to say so but I also know what I need to do to improve every time I'm there and work on a section of track at a time. As soon as you get it right and faster then there is more to be had. Its like golf wonderfully frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #369
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know that I agree with the last part. I think what makes a good driver is an analytical approach and then the balls to go do it. Lots of people think they are good drivers but don't use the whole track, brake too early, short shift, way to little slip angle and on and on. I'm not great and am the first to say so but I also know what I need to do to improve every time I'm there and work on a section of track at a time. As soon as you get it right and faster then there is more to be had. Its like golf wonderfully frustrating.
Agreed...it's hard to put it all together.
      10-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #370
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Though its another brand ill share my experience.

I bought a set of Federal 595-RSR in 265/35/18 since i found them for a bargain and figured if they were good i would keep using them for light track use since im a member at my local track and can pretty much track for as long and hard as i want. Federal does not make a 275/35/18 so i had to stick to 265. When the tires came in the first thing that surprised me was how wide of a 265 it was, it was as wide as my nt-01's in 275. I took them out on the track and found the perfect hot psi to be 37F 38R since if i went higher they would break loose easier and if i went lower sidewall flex was a problem. After 5 consecutive laps these tires would start overheating and grip level was lost, i found the best laps to be 1-3 then they were pretty much caca. When i got home i noticed one of my tires was splicing and immediately emailed my tire seller which they responded that federal said it was normal as long as it was not very deep and i should rotate them to keep that from happening. I listened and ran them for another session and they seem to be doing fine, the splice has not been spreading or getting worse. For 600 Shipped you cant beat them, they provide a little less grip than rs3's and they take the heat a bit worse but for my regular club member days i will keep running them since they are dirt cheap. For organised track days i will run NT-01'S, R-888'S, or BF R1'S. Dont know if any of you are familiar with harris hill raceway in texas but they managed a 1:27.1 on a car that just has pads, lines, fluid, kw clubsports, and a axel back exhaust. Will be posting a full review on these soon.

Harris hill road:

Other members times in m3's, the times on the FR-'s are mine:

Last edited by track_warrior; 10-21-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #371
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Driving Miss Daisy

Does anyone have opinions of the BFG's versus R888's?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #372
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skxf430 View Post
Does anyone have opinions of the BFG's versus R888's?
i know of one member who couldnt stand the r888 but likes the r1. maybe he will chime in.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #373
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I just corded 4 NT01s...no splice.

To move into an R-comp...run group is irrelevant. Skill is. You need to be able to feel AND understand what the car is doing...car control. IMO, need to be comfortable with DSC off and sliding (not drift) the car.

With R comps, you'll be going a lot faster when something goes wrong.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #374
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I just corded 4 NT01s...no splice.

To move into an R-comp...run group is irrelevant. Skill is. You need to be able to feel AND understand what the car is doing...car control. IMO, need to be comfortable with DSC off and sliding (not drift) the car.

With R comps, you'll be going a lot faster when something goes wrong.
who is this directed at? why are you on nto1s still?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0