BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Oil leaking

Hello, Gents

Last week I noticed the M3 is seeping oil at a decent rate towards behind the driver side wheel. The weird thing is the rate of the leak is pretty noticeable on cold start but seems to trickle off after that. This is concerning. I was able to get the car into a shop and on the lift yesterday, to try to identify where the leak is stemming from. After checking around for a bit under the car the mechanic told me the leak is due to the oil pan. I assume he meant the oil pan gasket is the catalyst for the leak.

From reading through a few of the oil leak threads here, some members sourced their leaks to a faulty oil cap, oil filter housing gasket, and bad drain plug. How would you discern between the three potential leak sources versus the oil pan gasket? Once again, I’m just trying to ensure the right issue will get addressed.

Since the leak is coming from behind the wheel, I had an individual question if the leak is coming from the motor opposed to the DCT leaking.
Also, the oil measurement level has not reflected the oil loss I’m noticing on the ground. The oil level has been consistent at one notch under the fill. I don’t plan to drive the car until it is going to the shop to get fixed, should I tap up the oil to be on the safe side.

Vent session: Sorry, I had to do it. I feel like shit has really hit the fan with my car in December 2019. The M3 ran well all year before December. No issues noted. I went in for a routine brake job (pads and flush) by a well know Indy. The car started going into limp mode a few days shortly after that. Vacuum leak problem ensued and caused limp mode. The catalyst was brake fluid overfill. The shop took accountability for the issue and replaced the broken sensor. Now the M3 is leaking with a new noted problem of stumbling in first gear to the point of feeling like it wants to stall. The stumbling only happens when the car is cold. After about 10 minutes of driving, the stumbling is not noticeable in first gear. This stumble is also noted in reverse too. I’m not trying to point a finger, but within a month after service, my car just went downhill. It could be that it hit the 61K mark, and it’s just time for issues to pop up. Who knows

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Stumble could be the low pressure fuel sensor. Had not read much of pan gaskets leaking. Any chance it’s the valve cover gasket on that side? Try to run your fingers along the top of the head to feel for oil.

If it’s the oil pan gasket, great time to do rod bearings.
Appreciate 0