BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-26-2020, 05:04 AM   #1
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Slon side pan install

Has anyone successfully installed the Slon side pan while the transmission is in the car? I've seen people say they can do a gasket swap with the transmission in the car but with the extra size of the Slon pan is it still possible. I'm struggling taking off the top two bolts, I could probably get them off but I'm worried I won't be able to get the new pan on.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolsilver View Post
Has anyone successfully installed the Slon side pan while the transmission is in the car? I've seen people say they can do a gasket swap with the transmission in the car but with the extra size of the Slon pan is it still possible. I'm struggling taking off the top two bolts, I could probably get them off but I'm worried I won't be able to get the new pan on.
It’s not worth the trouble and the tools you have to use, pull the transmission out it’s not hard you just need a special transmission jack plate to hold the plastic pan.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
I found the hands of an 8 year old to be very helpful for those two top bolts. Once they are started you are good to go, but getting them started is a huge bear with grown-up sized hands.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

As of now my side pan isn't leaking I was going to do it now while I did the bottom pan but I gave up on the side pan for now. Hopefully loosening some of the bolts and retightening them didn't expedite the gasket failure. Does the transmission need to be drained when removing side pan as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
As of now my side pan isn't leaking I was going to do it now while I did the bottom pan but I gave up on the side pan for now. Hopefully loosening some of the bolts and retightening them didn't expedite the gasket failure. Does the transmission need to be drained when removing side pan as well?
Yes, you need to drain it or fluid will come out. If your side cover didnt lift you should be fine.

If the gearbox is out, you tilt the gearbox to where the side cover is facing up and you can just change it without draining it.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0