BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

12-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #23
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
get the 911, porsche - there is no substitute
Sure there is, the ultimate driving machine.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #24
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
get the 911, porsche - there is no substitute
...for posing like a cock I agree

I think the M3 has more presence than a 997s. We parked both near the beach and the majority of people stopped to check out the M3 and barely gave the 997 a second look. AW just highlights the lines of the M and makes it beautiful in a beastly way even hot blondes were checking the BMW out without looking at the black Porsche.. that my friend says "M3 FTMFW!"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #25
M2MG17
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I would get the C2S depending on what type of deal you get. It is an awesome production race car as opposed to the M3 which is a production coupe with sports car upgrades.
      12-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #26
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
If you really want a Porsche over the M3 then get the new Cayman S Mk2 with LSD. Even Autocar now agree with me in the belief that it is the best Porsche ever, imagine if they decided to equip one with a turbo.......how f@#k great would that not be.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #27
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Interesting discussion. Have owned an '06 997S Cab, an '08 Targa 4S and currently a 997.2 S coupe.

The responses here are what you'd expect from an M3 site. Most will say Porsche drivers are cocks and the M3 is the way to go.

The current 997.2 is pretty impressive. The 385 hp really rips. Contrary to one comment, there is very little understeer. Have done thousand mile road trips in complete comfort. I suspect you could anticipate the same from the M3. The Porsche is my DD. I put snows on and drive it through the winter.

Have also driven a few '08 E90's and think it's also a great car. Am really considering adding one to the garage. Honestly, both cars are more GT than hard core sports car. It's just that they can be pushed like a sports car when the situation is right.

No real losers in this "fight".
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #28
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I have been offered an old spec 997 s in black with black interior with about 5000 miles. I am considering changing over since I dont need the space but as an overall experience is the Porsche Carrera a downgrade compared to the M3? Its slower (not by much?) but has better handling and build quality than the M3.. it just does not pull at the heart strings. Advice please.
ftw
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 01:56 AM   #29
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post
The responses here are what you'd expect from an M3 site. Most will say Porsche drivers are cocks and the M3 is the way to go.

The current 997.2 is pretty impressive. The 385 hp really rips. Contrary to one comment, there is very little understeer. Have done thousand mile road trips in complete comfort. I suspect you could anticipate the same from the M3. The Porsche is my DD. I put snows on and drive it through the winter.
I think the understeer we are talking about is the kind which only occurs under track conditions, not normal road driving. And you are correct, most here believe Porsche drivers are cocks, but there is as many driving M3s.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #30
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
As much as I like the m3, I think the 997, esp the facelift is the more exciting & impressive car IMO. The 385hp and the pdk really rips up the road. Its still pretty lightweight and handles like its on rails as usual and the looks are still iconic.
I have to agree. The facelifted 911S is a marvel of of sports car that really does rip.

And, in response to other forum chatter, one doesn't have to be a "cock" to drive one. I mean, I know that I judge cars by how many "blondes" are attracted to it and by how much attention it gets. So, it does make me wonder, who really feels like a cock and who really is one.

With that said, any choice in this field of cars is the right one.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #31
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

I currently own two Porsches and an '09 E92 M3 (my third BMW), and I agree with some others here that both are fantastic. In my opinion the Porsche has sharper turn-in, is more agile, and feels more like a proper sports car (although less so than the Cayman). On the other hand, the BMW has a far superior interior, better ride quality, feels like a more expensive car despite costing less, and has a simply glorious engine note.

I track my cars regularly, and between the two cars the faster driver will always win. They are so close in capability that comparing track times posted by different drivers on different days is pointless. Yes, they are both GT's, but they provide more than enough playfulness for the track.

I had a 997.2 on order, but I had to cancel when the car did not match what I had requested. After then driving the M3, I bought that instead. Either would have made me happy, but the M3 makes my commute far more tolerable while giving up very little in terms of sporting feel. The Porsche was my daily driver for five years, and it gets simply tiring on bad freeway pavement.

And yes, the Bose systems in Porsches are shit.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 07:57 AM   #32
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

I guess I drive hard coz if you have not felt a 997 understeer its not being driven to its limits. Porsche set it up that way to make it safer for the average joe. The Porsche also does need extra finesse to get it to corner quickly. If you just tank it into a bend at high speed it understeers for no measure, and the moment you lift off the tail comes around rather abruptly(quick steering and feedback do make it relatively easy to correct and hold the slide though). Do the same in the M3 and it just gives a mild hint off protest and if you on the power the tail comes around and you can hold it through the corner on the throttle sideways like a drift king.. even though you barely know what a handbrake turn is It just makes driving thrilling and boosts your confidence behind the wheel like banned substances(until it wraps you around a pole and kills you )

I have not driven the new spec 997.2 and that is an interesting proposition. At double the price of an M3 its not affordable to me unfortunately

BTW there is a big difference in feeling like a cock and actually being a cock
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
I guess I drive hard coz if you have not felt a 997 understeer its not being driven to its limits. Porsche set it up that way to make it safer for the average joe. The Porsche also does need extra finesse to get it to corner quickly. If you just tank it into a bend at high speed it understeers for no measure, and the moment you lift off the tail comes around rather abruptly(quick steering and feedback do make it relatively easy to correct and hold the slide though). Do the same in the M3 and it just gives a mild hint off protest and if you on the power the tail comes around and you can hold it through the corner on the throttle sideways like a drift king.. even though you barely know what a handbrake turn is It just makes driving thrilling and boosts your confidence behind the wheel like banned substances(until it wraps you around a pole and kills you )

I have not driven the new spec 997.2 and that is an interesting proposition. At double the price of an M3 its not affordable to me unfortunately

BTW there is a big difference in feeling like a cock and actually being a cock
+1

I drove a Mk1 997Carrera S(355BHP)6MT last spring, but I ended up in my current M3 saloon, because it's more practical, it's faster(though it doesn't feel that way), and the Porker is still a speedboat in cornering(and I drove a lot of 911s...), I drive my cars hard often and track them as well, and the 997.2 is just the car I don't want because of it's 'I want to be a sportscar but I lack track refinement and power' imho. GT3 is another world, a friend of mine has one. 100% pure, not for DD, but exciting. 997.2 is just a sportscar with an appealing history(911) but lacks real power and REAL handling(and so does the M3, but that's a saloon) Maybe the new 997.2 will do better, but not that much...

EDIT, me in the 997S last spring
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #34
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

^Looking good behind the wheel of the 997 there Robin. It really suits you. Give the 997.2 a try and let us know what you think. Hopefully once I finish my eye surgeon studies I will be able to afford a real Porsche = 997 GT3 RS FTMFW baby
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:30 AM   #35
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
^Looking good behind the wheel of the 997 there Robin. It really suits you. Give the 997.2 a try and let us know what you think. Hopefully once I finish my eye surgeon studies I will be able to afford a real Porsche = 997 GT3 RS FTMFW baby
My wife and the kids loved the 997S but I need room for us 4.

And my wife told me whenever she sees a Porsche sportscar, she thinks there is an egoistic arrogant male inside who doesn't care for his wife/kidswhatever because there is not enough room voor more persons LOL.

women

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #36
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I would agree that an Porsche with full leather looks better but at a cost. My Boxster S had coco brown full leather and it was a picture.

The thing I would disagree with is on switch gear, it's here were Porsche's quality takes a knock. The indicator stalks were cheap, even compared to a VW, their aircon units were old hat and their seats aren't as comfortable as they should be, give the price of the car.

The area were Porsche do shine is in the parts concerning driving pleasure, it's steering, pedal controls and gearbox are up there with the best of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #37
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post
Interesting discussion. Have owned an '06 997S Cab, an '08 Targa 4S and currently a 997.2 S coupe.

Have also driven a few '08 E90's and think it's also a great car. Am really considering adding one to the garage. Honestly, both cars are more GT than hard core sports car. It's just that they can be pushed like a sports car when the situation is right.

No real losers in this "fight".
+1

Both are great choices.

About the cock factor though...

I like the new M3 also, and I've tried to go in that direction for an additional car but my wife (and others have said this) point out that it does seem to be a car that appeals to cocks. They look at it and think the same things about the old WRX STi with the exaggerated hood bulge and clown sized fin on the back. Young, cock drivers. Punk's car.

997 is cleaner, elegant, and more mature. Don't think I've seen someone with a sideways hat and low rider pants get out of one...
Appreciate 0