BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Interesting option. However, being somewhat conservative with the only thing touching the ground at 100+ mph I will stick to more name brand options and tried and true companies and designs.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #24
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Vredestein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Interesting option. However, being somewhat conservative with the only thing touching the ground at 100+ mph I will stick to more name brand options and tried and true companies and designs.
Vredestein is over 60 years old and is a much more well-known name in Europe. It's considered a medium-sized manufacturer, making 5.5 million tires a year (70% high-performance automotive), and has state-of the art design and equipment. I think it's the lack of major distribution in the US that makes it seem questionable, so I understand you POV.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Greg, what would you choose for the RAC wheel?

One of the articles seems to imply they run a little wide
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #26
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

+1. Whadda ya think Greg??
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #27
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Vredestein sizes

Quote:

Hmmm. I was going to go 265/35F, 285/35R, but the best option w/ the Vreds is 255 & 275. If they run a little wide that may be okay. I may not be able to hold out for new rears until the RACs come, so I may put those on my stock 19s and give them a try. Compared to the PS2s they're almost free!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #28
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Let us know how they fit if you get them.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #29
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

where do they sell these tires?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #30
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Hmmm. I was going to go 265/35F, 285/35R, but the best option w/ the Vreds is 255 & 275. If they run a little wide that may be okay. I may not be able to hold out for new rears until the RACs come, so I may put those on my stock 19s and give them a try. Compared to the PS2s they're almost free!
Have you tried 265 in the front? I think there's a good chance they'll rub. I favor that combo as well on a set of TE37 G2 (9.5 F and 10.5 R) but don't know if the 265 will rub or not, especially with a drop.
      06-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #31
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how they fit if you get them.
Think you meant Greg, but I ordered a set today just because the price was too good to pass up. Friend of mine here in the forum is probably ordering some tomorrow from the same guy. I'll ask him for a review
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #32
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Vredestein is over 60 years old and is a much more well-known name in Europe. It's considered a medium-sized manufacturer, making 5.5 million tires a year (70% high-performance automotive), and has state-of the art design and equipment. I think it's the lack of major distribution in the US that makes it seem questionable, so I understand you POV.
Excellent counter point. Relatively unknown in the US certainly is not equivalent to relatively unknown. I think my next set might be the Bridgestone RE-11. Way less expensive than PS2s and according to what I've read here on the forum better dry grip as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #33
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
where do they sell these tires?
Heres a link to search for their dealers

http://www.vredestein.com/Dealerloca...ersessionID=73
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #34
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

My Review- thanks Kmarei for the message asking for info.

I went with 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rears.

My feedback is

Aesthetics
Overall look is more low profile (both F&R). I like this anyway as I always thought the PS2 sidewalls were a bit too dragster. For me the style is a little different to the Cups that I had before but I really like the look and the sidewall design particularly. The look is probably the thing that divides opinion most but I reckon they are really in keeping with the car and ccertainly don't take away from it. The inconsistent design across the contact patch doesn't give as wide a look as other tires. Sounds like a negative especially when you're thinking about what to buy and it was on my mind before I bought them myself but once they were on that didn't bother me in the slightest.

Driving
I just did a couple of days in the Isle Of Man last month, they have no speed limits there outside of the towns (sounds good I know !) so have had a real good chance to try them out. My feedback if therefore in part based on that. highlights are:

Steering feel is a little lighter than PS2.

Despite this the vagueness that you get with the PS on initial turn in before the steering weights up is absent. The steering is neutral through a full turn.

Front end grip is equal to the PS2 in road driving.

I would say that rear grip is actually better than the PS, again for road driving. For example in a 2nd gear hairpin the rears hook up earlier and with less traction control interference.

Watch out for the rubber beads / threads that come from the tire mould. These take a couple of hundred miles (maybe 250-300) to wear off on the fronts (maybe 100-150 on the rears) and until then the grip levels are way off. Same as on all tires of course but I thought it was more distinct on these and took longer to run in than any tire I've tried before.

Wet driving, sorry no idea as drive something else on bad days.

So that's basically it. I would say that these are best summarised as very high grip road tires, an excellent better value alternative to the PS2's(overpriced if you ask me). Given the thread pattern and wear rate they are also likely to last 2-3 times as long as the PS2's.

Hope that helps.
Ken

Last edited by Ken37.73; 07-03-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #35
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Half the price of PS2s? Sounds good to me. I had never heard of the brand before reading this.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #36
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

You didn't happen to weight them did you?
Many have mentioned the PS2's are really light.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #37
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Vredestein Tires are fantastic.

You wouldn't think a tire that costs about 50% less than PS2's, would be so good. I got much better treadwear out of the Vredestein Sessanta's than I ever did with my previous set of PS2's. The wet/dry grip performance was very similar. (slight edge to the PS2's)

For the prices they charge for the PS2's these days...I'd opt for the Sessanta's every time.
      07-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #38
503Alex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: S30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Vredestein Tires are fantastic.

You wouldn't think a tire that costs about 50% less than PS2's, would be so good. I got much better treadwear out of the Vredestein Sessanta's than I ever did with my previous set of PS2's. The wet/dry grip performance was very similar. (slight edge to the PS2's)

For the prices they charge for the PS2's these days...I'd opt for the Sessanta's every time.
+1, my dad and I talked to Greg at C&C the other day about these (they are on my dad's M3) and they are very good tires, especially for the price! And, as a plus, they were designed by Giugiaro.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #39
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 503Alex View Post
+1, my dad and I talked to Greg at C&C the other day about these (they are on my dad's M3) and they are very good tires, especially for the price! And, as a plus, they were designed by Giugiaro.
I think the only reason most aftermarket wheel guys don't buy these tires, is because Vredestein's NAME isn't widely known here in the states.

That's too bad... because they do make a high quality product. Every client that I have ever recommended these to, is still using them today.

Last edited by Lemans_Blue_M; 07-03-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #40
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
I think the only reason most aftermarket wwheel guys don't buy these is because their NAME isn't widely known here in the states.

That's too bad... because they do make a high quality product. Every client that I have ever recommended these to, is still using them today.
If I ever get my Klassens, these are the tires I'm going with. I was initially going to get Invos, but after researching the Vredesteins a bit, they seem like a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #41
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
If I ever get my Klassens, these are the tires I'm going with. I was initially going to get Invos, but after researching the Vredesteins a bit, they seem like a no-brainer.
Mine are sitting in my garage waiting on my RAC's

I turned my friend onto these. He drives a Carrera 4 and loves them
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #42
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
Yep, bit of a "best kept secret" about them alright.
      07-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #43
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Can someone weigh these in M3 sizes?
      07-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #44
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Can someone weigh these in M3 sizes?
I have used several Vredestein tires in both the 18" and 19" sizes. I have never weighed them separately, but Vredestein tire weights falls somewhere in between the PS2's (25lbs.) and the Bridgestone RE050A's. (30lbs.)

I remember calculating that a 275/30/19 weighs about 27.7 pounds (by subtracting the weight of the wheels), which is very good since the average weight for 275/30/19 tires is about 27.5 lbs. (if you crunch all the numbers like I have)

And the Vredestein 275/30/19 only costs approx $200-$238 per tire. (depending on where you buy)

Bottom Line: There is no better value in high performance tires when you factor in:

a) Dry weather performance
b) Wet weather performance
c) Treadwear performance
d) Price

You know, it's kind of funny...

I always here people complaining about how expensive a set of high performance tires are...and that there aren't really that many reasonably priced alternatives.

When I tell them that the Vredestein tires are indeed the real deal...there reply is usually: "never heard of them" ...so they excluded them as a viable option.

That's not very sound reasoning. Now in the interest of full disclosure, I was very skeptical of Vredestein myself...UNTIL I started to research how these tires perform in group tire tests. The Vredestein tires either won the tire tests outright, or ended up in 2nd or 3rd place. (beating the PS2's heads up)

Since Vredestien is a European company, most of the information about them is in the European press. They only have a few retailers in the U.S., and they don't really toot their own horn. That's why we (Vredestien tire owners) have to get the word out to the masses.

I rarely run across anything that actually qualifies as a genuine bargain in my mind, but the Vredestien tires are certainly the exception to that rule.

For those of you that have never heard of Vredestein, or have no idea what kind of tire technology they use...watch this video:

This is an introduction into how the tires are actually made. (and tested)

Do your own research from there...