BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

04-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Business 101 to learn from Hyundai + BMW dynamics = Win.

I know I know, most of you are probably going WTF..
Many of you bmw drivers might be too high class to talk about stuff like Hyundai but I know there are business-minded people and unbiased intellectuals in this forum, so this applies to those of you.

I just read an article about this,
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110429992
Basically, Hyundai guarantees trade-in values of their vehicles.

Resale value has been one of the biggest culprits of buying Hyundai for many consumers searching for a car in market segment that Hyundai fits in. They realized this and quickly took action again. First with 100,000 mile guarantee, because they knew consumers were worried about durability and reliability of Hyundai vehicles. Many automotive companies copied after Hyundai. Same story with job-less protection package Hyundai offered. They know exactly who their consumers are (for now at least), and quickly adopt to it. While they don't make best cars or anywhere near, their business strategy and consumer marketing technique is top-notch.

Mean while, in a way I wish Hyundai to spends all that money spent on consumer researching on vehicles they make instead, to improve dynamics of their cars. But as a business person, what they do really inspires me. I think Hyundai is one of the best MNEs out there, just not the best manufacturer of automotive engineering yet.

I even had this dumb thinking where if Hyundai's business strategies and BMW's driving dynamics came together, it would create an unbeatable automotive business brand. Certainly, BMW doesn't have to adopt such "accessorized-business strategies", as BMW create cars that are world top class. I know BMW does extensive marketing and future planning as I always keep track on their investments. The iPhone app for ActiveE program gave me a laugh and made me think, "so this has to be one of the genius ideas BMW came up with since the investment in smart-phone/tablet programming era for years now".

I just thought Hyundai promotes and incorporates some very creative and effective marketing strategies. That many companies haven't done yet. All the work has been proven to be working very effectively, and Hyundai's market share and sales has gone up to prove such statements. I start to wonder what Hyundai is gonna do next. Almost as fun as waiting for the next F3x M3s. (ok, thats a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea).

Who agrees and who disagrees?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
kred
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i 6mt

there's a reason behind Hyundai's success in recent years
      04-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
A lot of the business culture comes from country culture. Korea has long been in the shadow of Japan so they're fighting a business case with the cultural appetite to best their descendants who have long been the epitome of automotive quality.

Germans are a very conservative group of people in general. They tend to favor stability and over engineer things.

It seems racist but they're fairly accurate generalizations.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
kaaoszx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98 323is, 96 240sx , 87starion

I agree Hyundai is quite impressive their sedans are quite nice had one for a rental one time the quality, mpg (esp for treating it like a rental) and sportiness and driver response was a million times better than a honda accord. cant comment on the coupes but my cousin had a hyundai tiburon the newer body style and she had to take it to the shop alot.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

They wouldn't spend a lot on the research, almost every mass market brand knows the average financial situation of their customers. Hyundai did all of this because, well, they had to sell a Hyundai product (Okay, back when they were still not even in contention over a Honda or Toyota).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaoszx View Post
I agree Hyundai is quite impressive their sedans are quite nice had one for a rental one time the quality, mpg (esp for treating it like a rental) and sportiness and driver response was a million times better than a honda accord. cant comment on the coupes but my cousin had a hyundai tiburon the newer body style and she had to take it to the shop alot.
I want some of what you are smoking.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Well, Hyundai has the financial foundation with their economy cars to continue moving upmarket and BMW is doing the opposite: attempting to move downmarket with cheaper models and new FWD setups to try and increase profits.

Who knows which brand will hold more prestige in 10 years.
      04-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

If BMW offered Hyundai's maintenance plan... they'd be BROKE
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0