BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

09-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

former or current 1M owners..quick question

Disclaimer: this thread is NOT for a fustercluck of e-crotch measurements, or for bad fellowship. It's a genuine attempt to get understanding of the viewpoints in question. If your intent to reply in this thread is to instigate or insult (towards/against ...either way), please find another thread.

So couple of days I ago I was eating a nice brunch place locally, and saw a 1M pull into the place. After a few mins I decided to approach the gentelman and say hi, tell him I'm a fellow "M driver", and wanted to just chit chat about our cars.

He showed me his car, and we talked about his setup (did a full custom Tune, full catless exhaust, etc), and then we talked about my M3 ('11 sedan, custom brembos, akra, etc).

Long story short, the conversation quickly turned from the 1M and the M3 in general, to a "M3 is way too slow from 0-60.... I would offload it NOW before the new body comes out...just get a beater till the new one comes out, or get an M5.... I sold my M3 for this 1M, it's no comparison, it's faster all around, etc.... dont walk, RUN, to unload it, trust me... Vishnu with a single turbo upgrade will make it go 600hp......" .... you get the point.

I didn't say much because I actually want to keep in touch, and make another BMW-buddy along the process, but I found it pretty, uhm, interesting, to say the least.

Having driven the 1M enough times, and a few hard laps at the track at PCD, I find the car to be an excellent driver's car! It is:
- "light" and nimble (for it's weight)
- great cornering capabilities, with a hint of understeer
- pretty tunable in stock form, and has an aggressive stance, etc

So Yes, I take the 1M as a very good track car, and a good 1st run from BMW to test the waters for a smaller M coupe sibling by using a parts bin approach.

My question, is, however, why do "some" 1M owners tend to use the M3 as their punching bag to make their point across?

Example:
he asked me why I bought the M3 and not go and keep a 1M, and replied with my reasons:
- needed 4 doors for the family
- just fell in LOVE with the M-DCT tranny (which he referred to as "automatic" )
- that S65 high revving V8 is magical in terms of throttle response, the gearing with the drivetrain, etc (he kept bringing the "no power, no torque" rebuttals).

I didn't want to get into an argument, as I was the one who approached the guy and just wanted to make conversation, but geez, is it me? did I misread what he was trying to say? or is there a good part of the 1M owner's circle that actually feels like this?

I mean, he even threw the "dude, I only have around 370rwhp, but I'm at low 12's in the 1/4mile".... and I kept saying to myself "and WTF do you think our M3's do...IN STOCK FORM???!!!!"

would love to hear some comments/feedback.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
What I gathered from your description is that the 1M owner is hugely insecure.

There is no need to put down someone else's car unless you're like that. Every car has its strengths and weaknesses. Including the 1M. If he can't recognize the strengths of the M3, then it's because he's feeling too secure.

Just my two cents, but I actually would not want to keep talking with that guy... There are enough enthusiasts who can appreciate a variety of cars (including from different brands) while still being honest and balanced.
      09-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post

There is no need to put down someone else's car unless you're like that. Every car has its strengths and weaknesses. Including the 1M. If he can't recognize the strengths of the M3, then it's because he's feeling too secure.

Just my two cents, but I actually would not want to keep talking with that guy... There are enough enthusiasts who can appreciate a variety of cars (including from different brands) while still being honest and balanced.
Indeed, I'm kinda feeling like that. Which is sad

I mean, it's one thing to say you like one car over the other for whatever reason (lighter/more nimble, cheaper, etc), but to make stuff up or "slant" the truth a little to make your case?

I mean, it doesn't get any better than referring to the DCT tranny as "oh, the automatic"

**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

One's opinion towards cars can be very different. After all, One's favorite car may not be for another person. I think the 1M owner you met is just not very smart. He has the right to not like the M3, but should better keep it to himself. Personally if I am to make a new car buddy/friend, I would avoid someone like that.
      09-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving

Your comments are highly logical and well-conceived, without any negative influence of testosterone, which this 1m guy is either deficient (which is one reason he needs to compensate by owning "the car", or have too much of. I suspect it's the first scenario that led to be such an asshole with OP.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
I'm just gonna say it, the 1M owner is delusional on one important point. His car may actually be faster and if he likes it, fine. The 1M is a GREAT car but his advice to go UNLOAD this M3 quickly makes him sound like an idiot. Cars are not assets but I predict this current M3 will hold value better than some of its previous generations. At the very least it will be as coveted as the E46 M3. Will it be as coveted as a 1M, I dont know. All I know is you'd be a damn fool to believe the current M3 is an inferior vehicle. To that 1M owner I would say, it is better people believe you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I'm just gonna say it, the 1M owner is delusional on one important point. His car may actually be faster and if he likes it, fine. The 1M is a GREAT car but his advice to go UNLOAD this M3 quickly makes him sound like an idiot. Cars are not assets but I predict this current M3 will hold value better than some of its previous generations. At the very least it will be as coveted as the E46 M3. Will it be as coveted as a 1M, I dont know. All I know is you'd be a damn fool to believe the current M3 is an inferior vehicle. To that 1M owner I would say, it is better people believe you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
the thing that got me puzzled, was the following:

the guy gave me his business card and he is a professional in all the senses (think "lawyer/doctor/CTO" type), and had the following statement regarding the whole "unloading" of the car:

"...my car is already appreciating! you can't buy one for 60K.... once the new body is announced, yours will be worth 40 or less.... Mine will continue going up... You should unload it, get a temporary car until the new M3 comes out, or just get the M5 and call it a day.."

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

the guy gave me his business card and he is a professional in all the senses (think "lawyer/doctor/CTO" type), and had the following statement regarding the whole "unloading" of the car:

"...my car is already appreciating! you can't buy one for 60K.... once the new body is announced, yours will be worth 40 or less.... Mine will continue going up... You should unload it, get a temporary car until the new M3 comes out, or just get the M5 and call it a day.."

I've got just one thing to say to that. THIS IS THE LAST NATURALLY ASPIRATED V8 BMW WILL PROBABLY EVER BUILD. Maybe the last NA engine at all. Game, set and match.
P.s. The rest of the car is pretty good too.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've got just one thing to say to that. THIS IS THE LAST NATURALLY ASPIRATED V8 BMW WILL PROBABLY EVER BUILD. Maybe the last NA engine at all. Game, set and match.
P.s. The rest of the car is pretty good too.
but it has "an automatic" transmission...!

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

I loved my M3 I drove a 1M and it felt pretty solid, it's just not a beautiful car as the M3 and certainly not as an achiever, so I would never look down on an 1M but would never considere one. Now to his next point, since there is no leasing here, you have to buy the car, and these cars are expensive here, and we all know the M3 e92 time is almost up, that's one of the main reasons I wanted to sell mine before the price dropped, and I had the opportunity to go for a 991C2S, if you plan on keeping the M3 or this is not an issue, then don't look back, M3 is a better overall car
      09-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Don't let arrogant comments like his get under your skin.

I have owned both. The M3 is almost 4 years old, and the 1m is one year old. I still say the M3 is a better all around car.

I have a funny story when I was searching for a 1M a fellow 1addict member was helping me find one and in one conversation we had he said something along the lines of "The M3 is a boat bro. My friend has one, and I just don't like it. It's such a boat".

He didn't know that I owned an M3 so I just kinda gave him the smile and nod, and kept my opinions to myself, because in all reality yes the 1M is lighter, and feels it... but its not exactly light..

That 1addict member sold his 1M after less than one year of ownership. If you look at the 1Addict classifieds a good amount of them were driven for a few hundred/thousand miles and then sold. I don't know what that means..its a love it or hate it type vehicle.

The 1M is a very rare car, which I love. I just don't think it has anything on the M3 in any aspect. It may be easier to highway drive because of the torque, but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
Quote:

It's already appreciating? Hmmm. Never heard of a car that appreciated within a few years off the lot. He's obviously not a professional in the financial world
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Guy sounds like a d-bag.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

having been around car enthusiasts all my adult life, i can tell you that this isn't someone who sounds like he could be a good "BMW buddy". this isn't about the 1M, he'd probably instigate penis-measurement contests no matter what car he owns.

i mean, this kind of shit talking is fine among friends, but for this be the first thing he says to someone he just met shows that he's incredibly insecure, socially inept, or just a plain douchebag
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
bm11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT

Envy.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Oh yeah, that might also explain why some of them bought the car and drove for a year or so and trying to sell those for 80-90k lol
      09-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Wow, I'd say this person has some issues. The M3 is a great car and I definitely wouldn't listen to any of his advise. I generally dislike people like that.. People who have a one sided conversation and go on about how great they are or how great their car is, are people I tend to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Disclaimer: this thread is NOT for a fustercluck of e-crotch measurements, or for bad fellowship. It's a genuine attempt to get understanding of the viewpoints in question. If your intent to reply in this thread is to instigate or insult (towards/against ...either way), please find another thread.

My question, is, however, why do "some" 1M owners tend to use the M3 as their punching bag to make their point across?

would love to hear some comments/feedback.
By simply asking this question you have negated your disclaimer..and hence this will inevitably end up a fustercluck of e-crotch measuring.

So what I have gathered from reading here, is that fellow BMW drivers are competitive? Everyone feels "their" car is the better one..so nothing about this is surprising.

You should have just lined up with him and reported the results..that would have made for a better thread
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #19
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
offtopic, but I wish I had a 1M manual and my M3 DCT. I like both for what they are.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #20
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

The engines accomplish the same goal in such different ways that it's like comparing apples and oranges. The N54T is exhilarating and can make you feel like you've been literally kicked in the seat of the pants, but the motor doesn't stir my soul the way a wailing S65 does. That being said, I'm not sure how often the upper rev-range in the S65 can be exploited in daily driving vs. the 1M's big fat torque curve.

My sense is that some 1M owners are still a little butt-hurt by the whole it's-not-a-true-M-car thing. And, there's the simple fact that the M3 is still kind of the yardstick that everything else is compared to.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #21
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

Quote:

Given he said that, the next question to ask him then would of been "so how bad was the mark-up you paid on it?"

While the 1M was a limited production car, it's still a "parts bin" car. It might not depreciate as fast a a regular 1-series but it will not see the slow depreciation of a Z8 for example.

If he thinks the value will rise I would suspect he is delusional in trying to self-justify the fact he paid more than MSRP (or blue book if he bought it used).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #22
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
By simply asking this question you have negated your disclaimer..and hence this will inevitably end up a fustercluck of e-crotch measuring.

So what I have gathered from reading here, is that fellow BMW drivers are competitive? Everyone feels "their" car is the better one..so nothing about this is surprising.

You should have just lined up with him and reported the results..that would have made for a better thread
So we can never ask a subjective question on some "opinion-based" references about our cars?

We should just keep our mouths shut, and not try to understand a)what are the features that would make owners in general feel this way about 1M vs M3, and b)what do us, M3 owners, not looked at in terms of value and performance of the 1M vs M3.....?

hmmm...

Appreciate 0