BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
shaunt
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' E92 M3

Damn, nice writeup cleveland. A+
      03-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
masitr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

I'm an Independent, I have a dyno and an M3. I am not in bed with any BMW vendors. Though I do own a shop, and have sold/installed their products. I have done numerous before and after tests for Japanese vehicles. I can offer a true and unbiased results as I possible can time and weather permitting. I was planning on preforming true back to back testing when car arrives next week. I would love to help. To me the ECU is the biggest Mystery to me as information is so heavily guarded.

I have done testing on an E60 M5 when they came out with different mods and flashes. Needless to say I have never been that confused. If I had access to the ECU or better data-logging equipment that would have helped tremendously.

I am open to options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I'd really like to get to the bottom of this and put an end to this endless debate. To me, the only way to do that is with some testing that's done in a much more scientific way.

With that in mind, I just spent over an hour pouring through the Dyno Database. I looked at every entry that had an ECU tune. I was specifically looking for before/after results on independent dynos where the only change was the ECU. To me, and independent dyno test is one where the vendor is not involved -- it's simply the customer taking his car to the dyno. Here's what I found.
  • Other than my own tests, not a single before/after independent dyno test exists in the DynoDB. Some independent tests were performed, but there either was no before test to compare against, or multiple components were installed on the vehicle at the same time.
  • Many submissions were ECU only, but where the vendor was present and cannot be independently verified.
So in a nutshell, here's what I discovered: there's not a single instance of an independent dyno run on any ECU tuning -- other than my own tests with AA software. I think it's more important now than ever to get these tests done and put an end to this endless debate.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #25
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
I agree 100%, one-off 'custom tunes' are a fallacy on this car.

Customers have been sold on this concept, because many guys lack a basic understanding of how engines/ECU's work. (fact)

Or... they believe that cars are still tuned exactly the same way they were 5, 10, or even 15 years ago.

That leaves many BMW enthusiasts vulnerable to all sorts of bogus marketing propaganda. (regardless of the product being discussed)

New innovative engine management technologies are always advancing, always improving the tuning methods used in modern engines. The really good tuners are going to figure out the best way to utilize that new technology.

In order to build a safer, more reliable tune (that can also extract more horsepower and torque) vs. the conservative stock tuning loaded into OEM ECU's), will require a knowledge base that very few tuners actually have in regards to BMW cars.

The very complex encryption on our factory ECU's, means that any tuner will have his work cut out for him if he intends to write a file for our cars.

BMW's are notoriously difficult to tune properly, because that's how BMW AG wants it. They make it very difficult to access the raw software code, and many of the tables/maps are not easily manipulated. Tuning a M3 vs. tuning a Dodge diesel truck is like night and day. Even tuning a Porsche or Lambo is child's play compared to an M3.

BMW's are the most difficult cars in the world to tune.

Again...that's exactly how BMW want's it.

They set traps for tuners all the time...you guys just don't know about it since you never talk to the few individuals in the world who actually tune BMW ECU's for a living. (and have done so for the past 10-20 years)

Despite the best efforts of some members here to educate others, I have to admit this...

A very well executed marketing campaign is incredibly difficult to beat sometimes.

Man, I can't wait to see the posted results of this shootout. (and the comments that follow it)

Just my .02 fellas...
I am completely & absolutely boggled.

In a good way.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #26
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Why can't it be made clear now?
I'm still writing my piece on this. Right now it's way too long and I need to adjust it so that everyone can understand it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #27
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Here's what was discussed in a previous thread...

I've read in a previous thread that clearing adaptation values during a reflash can cause a 10-15hp gain on the dyno. That's why I'd like to see a few people with custom tunes go back to the same dyno a month or more later to try to duplicate their results. If a few people did this simple test and posted their results, then this discussion could be put to rest.

Maybe one or more of the tuners reading this thread can comment on the dyno effects of clearing adaptation values.
The MSS60 ECU is incredibly quick to adapt to changes. Usually within 2 dyno runs we see the maximum power from our own tune. Subsequent dyno pulls produce no more power.

Last year we imported an AA exhaust and the customer wanted an AA tune also. We did some extensive testing back then on how the car would react to the tune. The gain from the tune was real and it was made straight away. The graph shape was completely different so we knew it wasn't just a phase shift of the graph. After returning the car back to the stock setting the power went back down and the graph shape changed back also.

No matter how many times we dyno'ed the car the results were consistent.

That's how quick this ECU is.

Resetting the adaptive memory has very little effect after a tune has been applied. There is certainly not 15hp worth of power available from just resetting adaptation! Unfortunately Bavtech doesn't have this feature so the general public cannot test it as the basic version of this tool is owned by many people. Once this command is added people can test it for themselves.

If a sudden increase in power is being on a dyno then there are only two explanations:

1) A tune has given a genuine HP increase
2) Someone messed around with the correction factors or how the car is strapped on the dyno
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
z00m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Everything is ok with difference ECU tuners. If you want results, you have to go with your car. Just sending an ECU,and recieving back is BS
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #29
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
I agree 100%, one-off 'custom tunes' are a fallacy on this car.

I think I can confidently say people take you seriously on this forum and I would personally like to thank you for coming into this and agreeing on the basic truth.

Customers have been sold on this concept, because many guys lack a basic understanding of how engines/ECU's work. (fact)

Or... they believe that cars are still tuned exactly the same way they were 5, 10, or even 15 years ago.

Sad but true!

That leaves many BMW enthusiasts vulnerable to all sorts of bogus marketing propaganda. (regardless of the product being discussed)

New innovative engine management technologies are always advancing, always improving the tuning methods used in modern engines. The really good tuners are going to figure out the best way to utilize that new technology.

In order to build a safer, more reliable tune (that can also extract more horsepower and torque) vs. the conservative stock tuning loaded into OEM ECU's), will require a knowledge base that very few tuners actually have in regards to BMW cars.

The very complex encryption on our factory ECU's, means that any tuner will have his work cut out for him if he intends to write a file for our cars.

The reading of the MSS60 was cracked by the tool makers long ago.
Just so that people are not confused - writing a file means we make changes to maps we have highlighted based on our own understanding of the code and our strategy of how to tune an engine.
Writing a file does not mean we re write the entire code from scratch.

BMW's are notoriously difficult to tune properly, because that's how BMW AG wants it. They make it very difficult to access the raw software code, and many of the tables/maps are not easily manipulated. Tuning a M3 vs. tuning a Dodge diesel truck is like night and day. Even tuning a Porsche or Lambo is child's play compared to an M3.

Accessing the raw software code could not be easier. Finding the maps is even quite easy if you have the instructions on where the maps are.
The hardest bit is the strategy on how to extract power safely. Which maps do we highlight and what changes do we make to which maps.
Are we going to go old school and concentrate on adding timing or are we going to sit there and scale all of the maps correctly with the correct values and then study what's actually going on with this engine?

Porsche's are just as hard to tune as a BMW if you don't know what your doing and relying on out of date tuning methods.

BMW's are the most difficult cars in the world to tune.

Again...that's exactly how BMW want's it.

They set traps for tuners all the time...you guys just don't know about it since you never talk to the few individuals in the world who actually tune BMW ECU's for a living. (and have done so for the past 10-20 years)

Despite the best efforts of some members here to educate others, I have to admit this...

A very well executed marketing campaign is incredibly difficult to beat sometimes.

Man, I can't wait to see the posted results of this shootout. (and the comments that follow it)

Just my .02 fells...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #30
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00m View Post
Just sending an ECU,and recieving back is BS
Why?

It's no different than you going to over 90% of the tuners out there who don't physically change the software themselves and write in the very same changes that everyone else gets.

There's nothing wrong with this if their tune/remap is well designed and is proven to work.

What makes one car so different from another that it needs some 'special' setting unless it has modifications carried out to it that the tuner has never dealt with before. Onyly then does a tune become custom and pretty much immediately ceases to be custom because the tuner has developed a out of the box solution for that setup.

All the E9x M3's have the same software (assuming all cars have BMW updates done), they all perform pretty much the same and we are talking about a very well engineered engine here which is made to very tight tolerances. If it was so important to custom tune every car than BMW would do it from the factory.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Last edited by Sales@Evolve; 03-13-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
z00m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Why?

It's no different than you going to over 90% of the tuners out there who don't physically change the software themselves and write in the very same changes that everyone else gets.

There's nothing wrong with this if their tune/remap is well designed and is proven to work.

What makes one car so different from another that it needs some 'special' setting unless it has modifications carried out to it that the tuner has never dealt with before. Onyly then does a tune become custom and pretty much immediately ceases to be custom because the tuner has developed a out of the box solution for that setup.

All the E9x M3's have the same software (assuming all cars have BMW updates done), they all perform pretty much the same and we are talking about a very well engineered engine here which is made to very tight tolerances. If it was so important to custom tune every car than BMW would do it from the factory.

The fuel quality is so different in different countries. + if you have any other mods - the AFR will be not really briliant with just a reflash for somekind of octane fuel. And with no car on dino before and after. Again BS
I hope that makes sense to you too
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #32
masitr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Why?

I believe this to be true on stock vehicles, but what about cars that have different combination of aftermarket performance parts. The VE will not be the same between them like in a production vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #33
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitr View Post
I believe this to be true on stock vehicles, but what about cars that have different combination of aftermarket performance parts. The VE will not be the same between them like in a production vehicle.
If your M3 had Schrick Cams and you approached us for a tune and wanted to send your ECU we would point black refuse to do it at this moment in time.
Why?
Because we've never ever come accross an E92 M3 with cams.

I think we are talking the same language. You only need a custom tune when your setup is 'new' to your tuner.

Also, what additions to your vehicle setup warrant a change in the standard tune? Adding a K&N filter doesn't require a different tune. The ECU is more than capable of adjusting the fuelling for this small change. There is a long list of additions which don't actually require any change in the ECU programme to cater for that change.
The engine management systems are incredibly sophisticated in these cars.

You can sit there all day trying to adjust the tune specifically for alot of the bolt on parts. It won't make a difference in the power output of the engine.

I think too many people are still stuck in the old ages and think these cars don't have any sensors and run on carbs!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #34
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00m View Post
The fuel quality is so different in different countries. + if you have any other mods - the AFR will be not really briliant with just a reflash for somekind of octane fuel. And with no car on dino before and after. Again BS
I hope that makes sense to you too
It does make sense if we were talking about a BMW E30.

I know where your coming from and I understand your concerns but it is important that you understand also where I am coming from by telling you how sophisticated your car is.

Limits and target values
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #35
masitr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If your M3 had Schrick Cams and you approached us for a tune and wanted to send your ECU we would point black refuse to do it at this moment in time.
Why?
Because we've never ever come accross an E92 M3 with cams.

I think we are talking the same language. You only need a custom tune when your setup is 'new' to your tuner.

Also, what additions to your vehicle setup warrant a change in the standard tune? Adding a K&N filter doesn't require a different tune. The ECU is more than capable of adjusting the fuelling for this small change. There is a long list of additions which don't actually require any change in the ECU programme to cater for that change.
The engine management systems are incredibly sophisticated in these cars.

You can sit there all day trying to adjust the tune specifically for alot of the bolt on parts. It won't make a difference in the power output of the engine.

I think too many people are still stuck in the old ages and think these cars don't have any sensors and run on carbs!
Can you shed some light on how the engine management works? Sensor relationship, etc and how the ecu is sophisticated enough to accommodate a variety of bolt on parts under seemingly 2 blanket tunes (with and w/o cats).

That was the point to this thread.

It sparked my interest when I saw a recent dyno on a plenum upgrade. The A/F went richer in the upper RPM band in comparison to the stock plenum. It made me think that the ECU is more sensitive to intake mods i.e more than a filter. Was the ECU referencing a different cell group that the stock vehicle will never see. Or if the ECU is target based was it too far from the target to compensate properly/accurately. Beats me... I don't know how this ECU works. Thats why I'm asking.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #36
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

The operating system that runs the MSS60 is very sophisticated. It cannot be thought of like the older systems that would benefit from custom tuning. On older systems you could assign values like timing for specific RPM’s based on fuel quality and other factors. On these older systems you can benefit from custom tuning if the tuner knows what he is doing. On newer systems these rules have all changed

On this car the operating system is a self correcting, adaptation based platform. How it works is you pre-select a target for things like AFR and ignition timing targets. The ECU will always execute that target when it can. If the target cannot be reached due to fuel quality, AIT’s or any other reason it will self correct to run as close to target as it can while keeping the motor safe. Each cylinder in the S65 is monitored independently for optimal timing. When corrections need to be made due to variances such as cylinder pressure the ECU will custom tune the spark for that cylinder. This system allows the car to always perform at an optimum level regardless of the situation or condition of the motor. Because of this there is no way to custom tune it. You can cheat by setting targets much higher than the ECU can correct but this is never a good idea as you are simply forcing the ECU to run settings it knows is unsafe.

The only changes you can make to the system outside of what it self corrects are things like vanos calibration, larger fuel injectors calibration cylinder displacement calculations, torque limits, rev limit, top speed governor etc.. these are all things that can be modified to improve performance but none of these would need to be custom tuned for a stock motor or a car running simple bolt on mods. The only time you would need to custom tune the MSS60 is if you had major modification such as modified displacement, aftermarket cams, forced induction or a full catless exhaust that had some sort of problem making power at certain RPM’s requiring different cam settings to work optimally.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #37
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Can you shed some light on how the engine management works? Sensor relationship, etc and how the ecu is sophisticated enough to accommodate a variety of bolt on parts under seemingly 2 blanket tunes (with and w/o cats).

That was the point to this thread.

It sparked my interest when I saw a recent dyno on a plenum upgrade. The A/F went richer in the upper RPM band in comparison to the stock plenum. It made me think that the ECU is more sensitive to intake mods i.e more than a filter. Was the ECU referencing a different cell group that the stock vehicle will never see. Or if the ECU is target based was it too far from the target to compensate properly/accurately. Beats me... I don't know how this ECU works. Thats why I'm asking.
I can tell you how it works. Right now it's 11pm over here though It takes a little concentration to write something like this so it makes sense. It has to be very well structured for it to make sense. Phone me up and I will explain instead....so much easier!...lol

Good observations you made there about AFR.

Get a stock M3 and dyno it 4 times. The AFR will most likely jump up and down in different places anyway.

Plenum would need to be way different to stock for the ECU to really go out of range. I doubt any plenum that will physically fit under the bonnet can make much of a difference.
Larger displacement is when it all starts getting very interesting!

Infact, changing an M3 to run purely on LPG is when it starts getting even more juicy! Now that requires a custom tune which is so different it's unreal!
Target Lambda values for part and full loads, ignition targets, fuel density and stoichometric values + loads of other values + fuel factoring for each cylinder + fuel injection factors......ete etc etc.....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #38
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
The operating system that runs the MSS60 is very sophisticated. It cannot be thought of like the older systems that would benefit from custom tuning. On older systems you could assign values like timing for specific RPM’s based on fuel quality and other factors. On these older systems you can benefit from custom tuning if the tuner knows what he is doing. On newer systems these rules have all changed

On this car the operating system is a self correcting, adaptation based platform. How it works is you pre-select a target for things like AFR and ignition timing targets. The ECU will always execute that target when it can. If the target cannot be reached due to fuel quality, AIT’s or any other reason it will self correct to run as close to target as it can while keeping the motor safe. Each cylinder in the S65 is monitored independently for optimal timing. When corrections need to be made due to variances such as cylinder pressure the ECU will custom tune the spark for that cylinder. This system allows the car to always perform at an optimum level regardless of the situation or condition of the motor. Because of this there is no way to custom tune it. You can cheat by setting targets much higher than the ECU can correct but this is never a good idea as you are simply forcing the ECU to run settings it knows is unsafe.

The only changes you can make to the system outside of what it self corrects are things like vanos calibration, larger fuel injectors calibration cylinder displacement calculations, torque limits, rev limit, top speed governor etc.. these are all things that can be modified to improve performance but none of these would need to be custom tuned for a stock motor or a car running simple bolt on mods. The only time you would need to custom tune the MSS60 is if you had major modification such as modified displacement, aftermarket cams, forced induction or a full catless exhaust that had some sort of problem making power at certain RPM’s requiring different cam settings to work optimally.
Good explanation.

This is as simple as an explanation can get. It's probably far easier to understand than anything I would have put up!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #39
2010e92m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 Sedan

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #40
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
The only time you would need to custom tune the MSS60 is if you had major modification such as modified displacement, aftermarket cams, forced induction or a full catless exhaust that had some sort of problem making power at certain RPM’s requiring different cam settings to work optimally.
So it is true that with a full exhaust whether catless or HFC a custom tune is beneficial?
      03-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #41
masitr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

This information is a great help. Even though it is an adaptive system does it use tables to as a reference as it adapts. For instance for Fuel & Spark a Optimum table a limp table and maybe one in between. Then the engine management moves between the table depending on cylinder burn conditions. Are the core tables (if they are tables) even accessible?

If the "Fuel and ignition" tables don't require tuning on a stock engine with bolt on parts due to that adaptive nature of the ECU, you should be able to extract the most performance by using the lowest octane fuel to keep the engine constantly in the optimum range weather it is 91, 93, 94, 100 ron.

Given the information most of the performance would be gained in vanos tuning. How many degrees of adjustment do the cams have? In my experience VTC NA engines the optimum cam angle change with different bolt on configurations (More than mufflers and Air Filters). This along with the other parameters would be the only items for custom tuning.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #42
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up.
No Problem

Quote:
So how do you respond to the guys who say that each motor is built differently and therefore benefits from a custom tune?
I tell them that the tolerances are incredibly small between each engine which is a fact. I then show them a very large database of dyno runs a basic example of many standard M3’s and low and behold they are all roughly the same with attention being drawn to the graph shapes being identical.

A question can arise from the above – ‘why are some cars making different power on different dyno’s. We answer this by explaning that different dyno operators may use different ways to dyno cars and comparing different dyno’s is a futile exercise in most cases.
Then we show them the maps from different cars and it clearly shows that the values in the maps are identical.
Then we ask the question – why did BMW not custom tune each vehicle? It’s not just luck that every M3 makes the same power curve and value from the same engine and same map.
Normally, that’s enough for them to understand.

The ones that get pulled into the marketing talk of custom tuning will go elsewhere and one day will realize they’ve been bent over.

Quote:
Can you elaborate a bit more about this? One reader up above asked if this was true even for different catalytic, cross-pipe, and exhaust options. Can you respond to his question on that?
My Origional Post:

Most of good ones will flow just aswell as each other. Even if there is a difference in power output it will be very small.
The EGT’s, AFR’s and power curve are all similar so what is that we can change? The timing? The Limiters? Won’t make a difference. The similar EGT’s, AFR’s and power curves/graphs are enough evidence thatno changes are required on top of the tune that was already developed for one of those exhausts.

They are just pipes with slightly difference cat configurations and it just doesn’t make much of a difference when you try and tune each one individually. By comparing them (the good ones) we really are splitting hairs! It’s not so different to testing one free flow filter to another.
The basic restriction in the system is the primary cats. Yes, the post O2 sensors do need to be dealt with but that’s the case with most of the systems and therefore it’s the same change required one or more tables to overcome the issue.

I can only speak for the brands we have tested which are all excellent.

Quote:
People thought that tuning the stroker was just as simple as modifying a few table entries.
A stroker engine will have completely different ignition, fuel and cam timing map value requirements along side many other maps which I do not wish discuss for obvious reasons. Think Limiters.
If the injectors are being changed also then there are even more maps to change.
The first step is to identify which maps need changing. Then they have to be scaled correctly so you know what the actual values are. You’d be surprised at how many tuners who cannot scale the values within a map so it’s not just a number!
Identifying the maps is the single most difficult task.

Then, once you’ve made your project file you need a strategy to map. Some strategies are better than others.
This is where the software programming expertise is no longer that important but the tuners skill to make the correct changes to the values within the maps based on feedback they get from their data logging devices (both live and recorded). Generally the mapping will be split into 3 segments – Idle, Part Load and Full Load. Idle can be tricky. Full Load is usually a very quick process because the maps for full load are not very big and you can use a dyno to do 95% of the work. When I say quick I mean relatively quick to part load! It still takes a quite some time. Part load is the hardest one of all because this has the largest number of load sites. In other word it takes a lot of time and as many load sites as possible (ideally all) need to be tested to make sure timing and fuel requirements are met to a very high level of precision.

In theory what people think is ‘basically’ correct. Values in the map tables need to be changed. There are quite a few though (therefore lots of variables!) and the hardest part is knowing where those maps are, what the values should be scaled to and then what to changes need to be made to those values based on the testing and datalogging they do. Do not think it’s just some percentage change you can apply across the board. If only it were that easy!

If anyone thinks it’s easy I am sure one of the tuners out there will happily provide a full project file to work from, train the individuals how to use the software and then send them on their merry way to go and make the engine run as it should.

Infact, Evolve are just in the process of doing our final tests on an E92 M3’s running on pure LPG. This car when it turned up would hardly start up, would not idle and would basically do nothing. Much worse than a stroker situation. We were dealing with a fuel which has a completely different density (98% Propane), has a different burn, different pressure (which in this setup is constant rather than variable) and has the potential to ruin an engine if the fuel and timing requirements are not met within a very small range. Coupled with an ECU which is this sophisticated the task was not particularly easy. If anyone here thinks it’s just a bunch of tables with some basic changes made then come over and try and make one of these cars run like a normal road car (like we have mapped it to do).

When your dealing with strokers, superchargers, fuel changes and anything that drastically changes the way the engine will operate, a tuner is required which has more than just the understanding of how to extract some power out of an engine. This is real custom tuning and it’s applied because it’s really needed!
What Roman and I are trying to say is that the ECU’s can adapt to a certain limit. Most bolt on parts do not make enough difference that there is so much change required which the ECU cannot make small changes for by adaptation.
Custom tuning is only required when something is done to the engine which changes things so drastically that it’s outside of the scope of the adaptation because the base maps are nowhere near where they need to be.

Some tuners may have more than one type or level of tune. Different tuners may have different methods of extracting power. Some methods are better than others.
Once those tunes are developed and that’s all the tuner knows, there is not much else they can do over and above those tunes to cater for bolt on upgrades which the ECU can already handle in it’s normal operation.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #43
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
They make it sound like the A/F and IGN tunes itself and they just tune the other parameters. I don't believe that to be true. Look at the graphs below from this Plenum upgrade thread I referance earlier. The 12:1 should not be there and be able to adapt itself to stock 14:1

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6822001.

I think maybe you are misunderstanding what's been written and what scenario it relates to.

Quick discussion on the dyno graph:

14.1 AFR is not a very good target to have under full at high rpm. That's too lean. It's fine for partial load driving or in other words when you foot is not on the floor and the engine is not under full load.

All dyno tests are carried out under full load (foot on floor). The ECU target AFR for full load is between 12.5 and 13 AFR at high rpms.

The AFR's in the graph seem pretty much in that region. Remember, that the target can be changed by the ECU based on other sensor inputs. If for example the air intake temperature starts rising it will take the target AFR and add fuel to that to compensate for the higher temperatures.

Without knowing the variables such as intake temperature of those particular dyno runs, we cannot establish why the AFR went slightly richer at high rpms.

Typically the AFR does move up and down between dyno runs on a standard car.

Just a quick side step and observation on that dyno graph:

That curve is really not a very good representation of how an M3 makes it's accross the RPM range. These engines do not make pretty much constant power from 7250rpm - 8400rpm.

Below is a representation of what an M3 does in tuned standard form with a comparison of an intake.....look at what happens on the standard graph at high rpm.... power does not remain constant but rises!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #44
disruptv
Major
Rep
Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
sal,

on dct cars, what gear and mode do you dyno the car in?

thanks
Appreciate 0