BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

Exhaust too quiet now

Alright so I recently switched to a Corsa catback with the Evolve x-pipe with HFC's. Sound is much more refined and controlled and has no rasp which I wanted. Problem is now it is too quiet. My previous issue with my valved system was not that it was too loud but rather way too raspy. Now there is zero drone or rasp but it much too quiet for my tastes.

So now the question begs what can I do to make my system louder without introducing rasp? I want to keep the Corsa as I like the exotic note it has. That being said, do I need to switch back to a catless x-pipe or delete resonators? The corsa has mini resonators built in and a Helmholtz chamber so it is quite good at reducing noise. I think in order for me to get the volume I want I would need to delete the resonators but keep the cats to keep things still refined. If I delete cats and resonators I think it would be too much.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I can't help but I am 1-2 steps behind you. Currently have an armytrix exhaust paired with a quad resonated bimmerworld x pipe and its LOUD in open. I am thinking of switching to corsa but wondered if I should add a HFC. Do you have any videos of your current set up?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 07:24 PM   #3
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
I can't help but I am 1-2 steps behind you. Currently have an armytrix exhaust paired with a quad resonated bimmerworld x pipe and its LOUD in open. I am thinking of switching to corsa but wondered if I should add a HFC. Do you have any videos of your current set up?
I know armytrix is known to be very loud but even with 4 resonators it's still too much? This leads me to believe that resonators are not as responsible for reducing actual volume but rather the tone of the sound. With this in mind, it sounds like the only way to make noticeable changes in overall volume is swapping mufflers which is unfortunate.

I think adding a HFC might help a bit with the sound but it is not going to make a significant change. I know there are folks on this forum who have made double digit exhaust changes and can weigh in.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #4
nycplumber
Major
Rep

I love that in quiet mode it has zero drone but I dont love that when it's open you can hear it from many blocks away. I worry that adding just a corsa will make it drone on the highway and maybe I should start with HFC and go from there. As far as sound level a resonator will do nothing for volume but getting rid of a cat certainly will make it louder
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 09:09 AM   #5
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I went through a similar experience recently. Installed a BW resonated x-pipe with Corsa exhaust, which is known to have a slight rasp in the lower RPMs due to the forward placement crossover and Magnaflow resonators. Decided to add HFCs to reduce fumes and immediately noticed a reduction in volume that I didn't like.

Went back to BW resonated x-pipe without HFCs and volume wise it's perfect. To combat the rasp, solution seems to be to replace the factory installed Magnaflow resonators with quality resonators such as Vibrant.

In your case, I believe you need to go to a catless, quad resonated setup achieve the increased volume you're looking for with little to no rasp.
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Got any videos??
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
Alright so I recently switched to a Corsa catback with the Evolve x-pipe with HFC's. Sound is much more refined and controlled and has no rasp which I wanted. Problem is now it is too quiet. My previous issue with my valved system was not that it was too loud but rather way too raspy. Now there is zero drone or rasp but it much too quiet for my tastes.

So now the question begs what can I do to make my system louder without introducing rasp? I want to keep the Corsa as I like the exotic note it has. That being said, do I need to switch back to a catless x-pipe or delete resonators? The corsa has mini resonators built in and a Helmholtz chamber so it is quite good at reducing noise. I think in order for me to get the volume I want I would need to delete the resonators but keep the cats to keep things still refined. If I delete cats and resonators I think it would be too much.

Thoughts?
Corsa and test pipes is the sweet spot in my experience. It is loud, but not crazy. Also very refined.

So stock xpipe, tp's out to a Corsa was so damn good.

I sold my old E90 M with that setup, and with my new e92 I put an RKP, with that same corsa and it doesn't sound nearly as good as just gool ol Test pipes out to the corsa rear.

I will be heading to ACM soon to remove the RKP and put test pipes back in.
Appreciate 1
drwankel1043.00
      05-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #8
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After some thought I do not want to go back to being catless. I prefer my car to not smell like a go kart especially when I am driving to important meetings. Thus my only other option of getting some more noise out of the car is removing the resonators on the evolve pipe.

Before I decide to hack up or sell this x pipe I wanted to do a little research. After some digging it looks like the Evolve pipe is actually made by Supersprint and just rebranded. I did some research and Supersprint sells their x-pipe in sections. I was able to find this piece here. Does anyone think I could simply remove the portion with the resonators and replace it with this piece which bolts up to the cats? I would have to have a shop cut down to length the connecting pipes as Supersprint unfortunately designs this only to work with their exhaust systems.

I'd rather try this first then hack up the evolve pipe as it will be difficult to sell if I go that route. The only other option I can think off is just have a shop fabricate a section to connect from the cats to the corsa and I am not sure if this would be cheaper to do. No one else sells an x pipe with HFC without resonators. AFE is the only one I can think off and they put the cats in the primary section which I do not want.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #9
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Corsa and test pipes is the sweet spot in my experience. It is loud, but not crazy. Also very refined.

So stock xpipe, tp's out to a Corsa was so damn good.

I sold my old E90 M with that setup, and with my new e92 I put an RKP, with that same corsa and it doesn't sound nearly as good as just gool ol Test pipes out to the corsa rear.

I will be heading to ACM soon to remove the RKP and put test pipes back in.
Essentially this is what I am running now. Evolve has no primary cats, just secondary HFC's and resonators. Test pipes is just the stock oem pipe with primary's removed. With that in mind the sound should be the same or similar and for me it is way too quiet. Not sure if I am used to LOUD now or what. Even the shop said the new setup was extremely quiet. Couldn't even hear me pull away.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #10
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Essentially this is what I am running now. Evolve has no primary cats, just secondary HFC's and resonators. Test pipes is just the stock oem pipe with primary's removed. With that in mind the sound should be the same or similar and for me it is way too quiet. Not sure if I am used to LOUD now or what. Even the shop said the new setup was extremely quiet. Couldn't even hear me pull away.
Interesting, my prior setup was definitely not subtle. Maybe the secondary OEM cats don't do much compared to the evolve HFC? Or could be a perception thing.

My buddy who has an e9x swears my cars are always quiet and I am like, what? It's loud as hell lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:19 AM   #11
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

I am adding HFCs to the secondary position on a BW resonated x pipe.

I want the Corsa exhaust and am hoping to get close, with even less rasp perhaps, as the ess x pipe and corsa combo. With 2 200 cell cats in secondary, resonators - will upgrade if needed and then the Corsa, I am hoping for 0 drone, 0 rasp, only light smell of fuel.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #12
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
I am adding HFCs to the secondary position on a BW resonated x pipe.

I want the Corsa exhaust and am hoping to get close, with even less rasp perhaps, as the ess x pipe and corsa combo. With 2 200 cell cats in secondary, resonators - will upgrade if needed and then the Corsa, I am hoping for 0 drone, 0 rasp, only light smell of fuel.
This will probably sound really good, just potentially quiet if you are used to louder setups. I personally want something louder as this is not my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 02:49 PM   #13
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bumping this thread with my previous response before:

After some thought I do not want to go back to being catless. I prefer my car to not smell like a go kart especially when I am driving to important meetings. Thus my only other option of getting some more noise out of the car is removing the resonators on the evolve pipe.

Before I decide to hack up or sell this x pipe I wanted to do a little research. After some digging it looks like the Evolve pipe is actually made by Supersprint and just rebranded. I did some research and Supersprint sells their x-pipe in sections. I was able to find this piece here. Does anyone think I could simply remove the portion with the resonators and replace it with this piece which bolts up to the cats? I would have to have a shop cut down to length the connecting pipes as Supersprint unfortunately designs this only to work with their exhaust systems.

I'd rather try this first then hack up the evolve pipe as it will be difficult to sell if I go that route. The only other option I can think off is just have a shop fabricate a section to connect from the cats to the corsa and I am not sure if this would be cheaper to do. No one else sells an x pipe with HFC without resonators. AFE is the only one I can think off and they put the cats in the primary section which I do not want.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #14
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Resonators do not affect volume. Your only options for that is to remove cats or change muffler.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      06-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #15
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Resonators do not affect volume. Your only options for that is to remove cats or change muffler.
While you are probably correct I came across this thread of someone with a MRF xpipe who added HFC's and no resonators paired to a Corsa. While the MRF is a different design with the X moved forward this setup sounds significantly louder than mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBb4t8Z1sCM
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #16
nycplumber
Major
Rep

It could be louder for sure but when I went from gutted stock x pipe to bimmerworld it was significantly quieter. The stock x pipe and bimmerworld are both similar to the designs youre looking at and I achieved the opposite of what you're looking for fwiw.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #17
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He is correct, the resonators are more for sound quality. IMO

If you want it louder, take out the cats on your xpipe, but add resonators for a refined sound.

I really think this car needs either :

No main cats - 4 resonators different sizes before and after x merge - loud but refined - Dinan style

or

no main cats - 2 HFC in secondary position (200 cell) and 2 resonators towards the rear. This will reduce drone and rasp but elevate volume over stock. - almost everything else.

People sort of functionally do the above when they do test pipes.

I am not a high enough roller to get the best cats for primary position that also provide performance similar to catless set ups.

There is more to it but that is all I can contribute right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #18
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He is correct, the resonators are more for sound quality. IMO

If you want it louder, take out the cats on your xpipe, but add resonators for a refined sound.

I really think this car needs either :

No main cats - 4 resonators different sizes before and after x merge - loud but refined - Dinan style

or

no main cats - 2 HFC in secondary position (200 cell) and 2 resonators towards the rear. This will reduce drone and rasp but elevate volume over stock. - almost everything else.

People sort of functionally do the above when they do test pipes.

I am not a high enough roller to get the best cats for primary position that also provide performance similar to catless set ups.

There is more to it but that is all I can contribute right now.
So the corsa has two small resonators built into the connecting pipes, would you count those or does the x pipe itself need them as well. I am considering just going for it and deleting the resonators on the x pipe and just seeing how it turns out. Worst case its no louder than before or better it is. I just do not want to go back to being catless, the evolve x pipe has 2 200 cell HFC's in secondary which is enough to get rid of smell but by removing the large resonators and but retaining the small ones on the corsa it may be enough to wake things up a bit.

Last edited by rjsiciliano; 06-02-2022 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #19
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So the corsa has two small resonators built into the connecting pipes, would you count those or does the x pipe itself need them as well. I am considering just going for it and deleting the resonators on the x pipe and just seeing how it turns out. Worst case its no louder than before or better it is. I just do not want to go back to being catless, the evolve x pipe has 2 200 cell HFC's in secondary which is enough to get rid of smell but by removing the large resonators and but retaining the small ones on the corsa it may be enough to wake things up a bit.

It depends on if you like rasp and drone. I would leave the x pipe with cats and resonators and then just use the Corsa as is. The resonators are not really making the car louder, they are designed to reduce resonance. Same way mufflers "muffle" the sound. Only the design is a little different because with mufflers you have chambers where poo sound goes (like OEM chambers 1 and 2) and then you will just have the clean note of the engine. In fact, I dont think I would ever alter the Corsa exhaust, except for beauty upgrades, I think that mini resonator cuts the drone and rasp that is being is being sent back from the poo sound RSC tech on the inner split pipe going in the muffler or changing the resonance so when it reaches the RSC chamber it works correctly.

Have you considered the 4 pipe mod? the 2 pipe ACM method, is not for me but also even louder. the ACM method makes it almost straight piped but with a resonance chamber. Maybe that could be an option? and cheap too. Bottom line - before you ruin your Corsa exhaust, sell it to me. hah
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 05:35 PM   #20
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not my video, but I have this same setup:

Corsa rear section with catted ESS x-pipe. It’s pretty quiet in the cabin when cruising (no drone), but you can hear it when you romp on the throttle. It’s also a lot louder out back or when you crack the window. Sounds great imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 09:46 AM   #21
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It depends on if you like rasp and drone. I would leave the x pipe with cats and resonators and then just use the Corsa as is. The resonators are not really making the car louder, they are designed to reduce resonance. Same way mufflers "muffle" the sound. Only the design is a little different because with mufflers you have chambers where poo sound goes (like OEM chambers 1 and 2) and then you will just have the clean note of the engine. In fact, I dont think I would ever alter the Corsa exhaust, except for beauty upgrades, I think that mini resonator cuts the drone and rasp that is being is being sent back from the poo sound RSC tech on the inner split pipe going in the muffler or changing the resonance so when it reaches the RSC chamber it works correctly.

Have you considered the 4 pipe mod? the 2 pipe ACM method, is not for me but also even louder. the ACM method makes it almost straight piped but with a resonance chamber. Maybe that could be an option? and cheap too. Bottom line - before you ruin your Corsa exhaust, sell it to me. hah

So I would not be altering the Corsa at all, I am considering removing the bolted on portion of the Evolve pipe where the resonators are with a non-resonated connecting pipe. I would have to have an exhaust shop cut the pipes as this particular one is designed for supersprint systems only. The reason I am doing it this way is to not hack up the Evolve pipe should I decide to sell it. Worse case it is no louder and best case it is. Like I said I love the Corsa sound I just want it louder and I am ok with a bit more rasp if that means more volume.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #22
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Bumping this thread with my previous response before:

Resonators cancel out resonate frequencies - mufflers control volume and sound. Get a different muffler.