BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

Active Autowerke or Evolve Catted X Pipe

Narrowed my selection down to these two options as it seems these are the only two readily available with HFC's and resonators (unless someone else knows of any others). Active has the HFC's in the primary while Evolve is in the secondary. I do want to do a Stage II tune at some point so consider that as well.

As far as smell, sound, etc can anyone comment here? Plan on pairing with a Corsa axelback.

Also it seems Active is selling their new pipe with GESI 400 cell cats? This might be a problem if you want to do a Stage II. I have seem older versions that were 100 or 200 cell. Thoughts?

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...high-flow-cats

https://www.evolvetuning.us/brands/e...92-e93-m3.html
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #2
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

I have literally been thinking this through and came up with maybe a superior option.

Macht Snell X pipe ~ $1,000
HFCs welded in where the pipes connect ~ $400 with parts and labor

wouldn't that bring you shocking close to the evolve piece at a fraction of the cost?

I just can not help but think that a quality x pipe brought to an exhaust shop with HFCs can not basically recreate the Evolve one, am I crazy? Because I am thinking this is what I might do and give up on the forward x position pipe.

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-153119235.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VX96IS?tag=wvdot-20
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
I have literally been thinking this through and came up with maybe a superior option.

wouldn't that bring you shocking close to the evolve piece at a fraction of the cost?

I just can not help but think that a quality x pipe brought to an exhaust shop with HFCs can not basically recreate the Evolve one, am I crazy? Because I am thinking this is what I might do and give up on the forward x position pipe.

I completely agree I think the price is absurd for what these things are actually providing. That being said, I am hesitant to hack up a pipe should I decide to sell down the line. Not sure the secondary market for pipes that have been modified.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 06:21 PM   #4
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' M3

https://www.topgear.co.uk/bmw-m3-v8-..._type=exhausts
Website says they have 9 in production.

And this one. Its not in US dollars BTW.
https://m3world.com.au/shop/exhaust-...catsresonator/

Last edited by bravehart38; 04-19-2022 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 07:42 PM   #5
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehart38 View Post

Website says they have 9 in production.

And this one. Its not in US dollars BTW.
FWIW that one was not recommended to me based on top speeds history with HFCs.

I can not speak directly either way but I had that in my sights for a little bit. Its too bad these are such a pain to return. and uninstall.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #6
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:

Same conclusion I've come to. I think the best way to get a quality aftermarket is to start with the MS and just add HFCs. All in all should come out a decent bit less expensive than the next best ready to go option.
      04-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #7
megustaboosta
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

RKP and aFe both have X pipes with HFC and resonators IIRC?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 11:50 PM   #8
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by megustaboosta View Post
RKP and aFe both have X pipes with HFC and resonators IIRC?
RKP is discontinued until further notice.

Last edited by bravehart38; 04-20-2022 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 11:54 PM   #9
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
FWIW that one was not recommended to me based on top speeds history with HFCs.

I can not speak directly either way but I had that in my sights for a little bit. Its too bad these are such a pain to return. and uninstall.
Different companies. Top Speed is in my backyard here in Texas. Top Gear is actually based out of the UK but they have distro here in the US
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 08:49 AM   #10
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pulled the trigger on the evolve pipe. Was able to get it at a discount going through these forms as the price went up right before. Shoutout to Imran@Evolve for the hookup.

To comment on the other options, RKP is gone and I cannot speak to the quality of Topspeed or Topgear. The issue with these cheaper x pipes with HFC's is that the quality of the cats is garbage usually.

EDIT* Also topspeed and AFE has the HFC's in the primary position which I did not want
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #11
megustaboosta
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
EDIT* Also topspeed and AFE has the HFC's in the primary position which I did not want
rjsiciliano Selecting an x pipe for myself right now, curious why you felt the positioning of the HFCs in the system mattered? I was under the impression that just going from 4 Cats to 2 HFC was the most relevant piece, not necessarily where they were in the system? Always looking for more good data if you can share
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #12
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by megustaboosta View Post
rjsiciliano Selecting an x pipe for myself right now, curious why you felt the positioning of the HFCs in the system mattered? I was under the impression that just going from 4 Cats to 2 HFC was the most relevant piece, not necessarily where they were in the system? Always looking for more good data if you can share
From what I understand in reading these forums (not an expert at all) is that cats in the primary position even if HFC's is not ideal. It restricts power more so than placing them in the secondary position (although this is highly debated I personally believe this to be true). There was also a forum member here who blew his engine up and traced it back to the HFC's being placed in the primary position. Granted that car was heavily tracked but still worth noting.

Secondly, almost all manufacturer's who put HFC's in the primary spot have clearance issues. It is very common for people to scrape the cats going over bumps especially if you are lowered.

With all that in mind, Evolve/ M3World and TopGear are the only manufacturers I know that still makes an x-pipe for this platform that puts the cats in the secondary position. I went with the Evolve pipe because of the dyno numbers to back it up and was able to get it on sale.

Last edited by rjsiciliano; 06-06-2022 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #13
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
From what I understand in reading these forums (not an expert at all) is that cats in the primary position even if HFC's is not ideal. It restricts power more so than placing them in the secondary position (although this is highly debated I personally believe this to be true). There was also a forum member here who blew his engine up and traced it back to the HFC's being placed in the primary position. Granted that car was heavily tracked but still worth noting.

Secondly, almost all manufacturer's who put HFC's in the primary spot have clearance issues. It is very common for people to scrape the cats going over bumps especially if you are lowered.

With all that in mind, Evolve/ M3World and TopGear are the only manufacturers I know that still makes an x-pipe for this platform that puts the cats in the secondary position. I went with the Evolve pipe because of the dyno numbers to back it up and was able to get it on sale.

I am happy you are happy!

FWIW, unless someone really wants to pay the premium for an xpipe with preinstalled cats. You can still definitely take a cheaper x pipe ($1200) buy some 200 cell cats 2.5 inch in and out ($200) and bring it to an Indy or Exhaust shop and they will install it and weld it for like $300 total.

$1,700 instead of a bit more expensive one pre installed but, I understand some people don't like the extra hassle.

And yes, a member has noted that primary cats on a tuned and tracked car could cause trouble, I believe him. Much better to put some in the secondary position and not worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #14
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on the evolve pipe. Was able to get it at a discount going through these forms as the price went up right before. Shoutout to Imran@Evolve for the hookup.

To comment on the other options, RKP is gone and I cannot speak to the quality of Topspeed or Topgear. The issue with these cheaper x pipes with HFC's is that the quality of the cats is garbage usually.

How do you like it with the corsa? Hows the sound volume, and smell? Any rasp?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #15
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
In addition to this, cats in this position CAN result in additional pedal vibration (but not always). I had an AA X-pipe and got rid of it for an Akra Eve and pedal vibration went away. Search the forums, this seems to be more common for AA x-pipes.
      06-09-2022, 08:20 AM   #16
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
How do you like it with the corsa? Hows the sound volume, and smell? Any rasp?
No rasp, no drone, sounds great and exotic. Only thing I wish it was just a little louder. When I first had it installed the shop commented on how quiet it was just driving off. It is growing on me a bit but I may sell down the line not sure yet. The evolve pipe is one of the more quieter x-pipe setups I think. The resonators are quite large and the cats appear to be very substantial 200 cells. I am looking at the Borla Atak as my next choice. Sounds like just enough volume increase while still remaining relatively drone free. This is not my daily driver so when I do drive it I want it to be heard haha.

Last edited by rjsiciliano; 06-09-2022 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #17
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
No rasp, no drone, sounds great and exotic. Only thing I wish it was just a little louder. When I first had it installed the shop commented on how quiet it was just driving off. It is growing on me a bit but I may sell down the line not sure yet. The evolve pipe is one of the more quieter x-pipe setups I think. The resonators are quite large and the cats appear to be very substantial 200 cells. I am looking at the Borla Atak as my next choice. Sounds like just enough volume increase while still remaining relatively drone free. This is not my daily driver so when I do drive it I want it to be heard haha.
What x pipe setup were you on before? Test pipes? How did the volume compare to that?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 10:15 AM   #18
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
What x pipe setup were you on before? Test pipes? How did the volume compare to that?
I have only ran the Corsa with evolve pipe. My guess is with stock x pipe it would be considerably quieter. To the point where you would not even know you had an aftermarket exhaust on. If you are going to get the Corsa at the minimum get test pipes to delete primary cats.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 12:33 PM   #19
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have only ran the Corsa with evolve pipe. My guess is with stock x pipe it would be considerably quieter. To the point where you would not even know you had an aftermarket exhaust on. If you are going to get the Corsa at the minimum get test pipes to delete primary cats.
Thanks. I'm currently running test pipes, so was trying to compare it against that since you said this x pipe is one of the quieter ones with good cats.

I tried another x pipe in the past and it was WAY too loud vs test pipes, and went back to test pipes. Just considering options if I need to do something like an x pipe swap for emissions inspection if I ever need to worry about that in the future. Putting my stock x pipe back together, and then having another one I can easily change out would be a workable solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 02:16 AM   #20
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

Be weary of people who say this and have nothing to substantiate it with. I think evolve stuff is typically overpriced, and never has the performance to back up the bling.

A good X PIPE should have the HFC AFTER the merger, because the merger is where the power is actually made (scavenging)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 04:32 AM   #21
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

The Evolve X Pipe has been dyno tested independently many times since its inception in 2013. Its a known quantity. Not sure how you are trying to shade on a product that has been in the market for so long. If it didn't do what is advertised it would be common knowledge.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891096

We are going through the whole tuning process on this platform again so we can document it with Dragy acceleration times so we will be able to back this up with performance data too.
Appreciate 3
CTMike262.00
wyatth3548.50
      06-12-2022, 01:57 PM   #22
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Be weary of people who say this and have nothing to substantiate it with. I think evolve stuff is typically overpriced, and never has the performance to back up the bling.

A good X PIPE should have the HFC AFTER the merger, because the merger is where the power is actually made (scavenging)
Not disagreeing with you but I am pretty sure Evolve has run numerous tests on their products to back up their claims. Is there stuff the cheapest on the market? absolutely not. However to make a statement that the performance does not back up the bling is not a fair judgement either.

Do you have an example of another x pipe that has quality HFC's with dyno testing to back it up that you can still buy right now? Maybe in the past there were cheaper options but not anymore. No one makes mid sections for this platform (With HFC's) except for a select few Evolve being one.
Appreciate 0