BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
aris21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Heat coming from footwell - Thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

This morning I noticed heat coming from driver side footwell. My AC was off, windows both open, on a nice 70 degree weather. Its not AC blowing off hot air but it seems like the entire bottom of the dash was hot and projecting heat to my feet.

Any thoughts? My car is e92 DCT... Also, I just got it back from the dealership a week ago. They "reset" my DCT software (update or something) - not sure if this helps but FYI.

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
tacoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1989 E30 M3 and 2010 E90 M3

I notice heat coming from my drivers side footwell too. Very noticeable when driving with windows down....and once you come to a stop. You feel the heat.

On another note...my transmission overheating dummy light came on last night after driving back from the airport!! Who knows why the light came on (water pump, gearbox oil, faulty valve, temp sensor etc).
Driving it to dealer tomorrow...

I wonder if the heat I detect from the footwell area (over the last year +) is connected to this dummy light that just came on?

More to come soon...

2010 has 31.5k miles..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
I also noticed there is some heat coming from under the dash when the AC is off. Could this just be heat radiating from the Heater Core or Exhaust/Transmission?

If you put your hand up against the centre console or underside of the dash you can definitely feel it.
      09-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Try again with your climate system completely off. Now that it is fall, the heater may be kicking in when the windows are open and the AUTO function will move the "hot air" around as it sees fit!

Also, i noticed in early summer on the first day wearing shorts that the transmission cowl beside my right leg was was really hot. Turns out that the vents for the back seats were on and with full heat thus causing the tunnel to get very hot …

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
aris21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
Try again with your climate system completely off. Now that it is fall, the heater may be kicking in when the windows are open and the AUTO function will move the "hot air" around as it sees fit!

Also, i noticed in early summer on the first day wearing shorts that the transmission cowl beside my right leg was was really hot. Turns out that the vents for the back seats were on and with full heat thus causing the tunnel to get very hot …
The transmission cowl beside my right leg seems super hot as well. I am afraid that my transmission might be overheating - is this a possibility? Im taking it to the delaership on thursday for diagnostic. Although, it takes a while before you can actually feel it heating up... Maybe around 45 min of driving - this is when it gets really noticable.

They did replace my evaporator 1 month ago and disnt drive the car for a while. Has anyone experience this after replacing evaporator? Im thinking maybe maybe they left something open thats letting some heat from the engine through the firewall.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris21 View Post
The transmission cowl beside my right leg seems super hot as well. I am afraid that my transmission might be overheating - is this a possibility? Im taking it to the delaership on thursday for diagnostic. Although, it takes a while before you can actually feel it heating up... Maybe around 45 min of driving - this is when it gets really noticable.

They did replace my evaporator 1 month ago and disnt drive the car for a while. Has anyone experience this after replacing evaporator? Im thinking maybe maybe they left something open thats letting some heat from the engine through the firewall.
I had the evaporator changed on my previous 2008 E90 M3 6M and had no problems with heat after, but anything is possible!

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
With some cars, removing the center console involves removing the heat isolator that covers the hole in the body tunnel where a shifter and/or control linkage pass thru. It is possible that during the evaporator change the mechanic did not get the isolation pieces under the console back in place correctly. Even with a DCT, there is still a hole in the tunnel (though smaller).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
I've had my car since June and have also noticed this issue. Just like the rest have reported with the Windows down. Does not happen when i have the AC on. I thought it was normal and just the heat coming off the engine and/or trans. Though I did think it was strange when the weather was a little cooler and cool air was coming in with the windows down but it felt like hot air was coming up from the floor.

I guess I'll have the dealer check it out.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #9
aris21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
With some cars, removing the center console involves removing the heat isolator that covers the hole in the body tunnel where a shifter and/or control linkage pass thru. It is possible that during the evaporator change the mechanic did not get the isolation pieces under the console back in place correctly. Even with a DCT, there is still a hole in the tunnel (though smaller).
My exact thought. I'll bring it back to the dealership and have them check it out!

Thank you!
Appreciate 0