BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

12-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
kingfish01
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

What NON BMW fluids are you using in the 6MT and Diff?

Is anyone using a NON standard fluid in the 6MT and diff, such as mobil 1, redline, etc? If so, what particular type and weight?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

I use Castrol SAF-XJ for my rear differential i paid 25 euro for 1.5 liters.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
kingfish01
Rep

I've always used Mobil 1 gear oil for LS diffs in the diff of my 95 M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Good thread man. I'm going to use non-BMW fluids when I change both diff and tranny oil in a few months. Not only do I believe what BMW charges is absolutely ridiculous ($50 for a freaking pint), but also that they're not the best around. And at 8K miles (max) every 2 years when I do it, anything would hold, let alone top-shelf fully synthetic fluids. However, I'll keep using TWS motor oil, at least during warranty. I don't believe it's needed the way I drive the car, plus several months of near-freezing weather in winter (too damn thick), but with many engines with bearing problems and other internal maladies (broken springs, VANOS problems, etc), I rather play it safe, although it's very possible that bearing problems are deriving from that too thick TWS that doesn't start lubricating properly several minutes after a cold start. Oh well.

So let's hear it gang. Please list what specific fluids you're using, if at all. I'd like to know which of the best known brands (Redline, Amsoil, M1, Royal Purple) is best for our tranny and diff, and what specific p/n. And I want a diff fluid with FM already in it. Best wishes for the new year to every forum member, especially health.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

You might want to download and read through the BMW Motorsport racing parts catalogs from the BMWNA website. For the racecars BMW Motorsports builds, the fluid lineup is as follows:

Engine oil - TWS
Transmission oil - MTF-LT2
Differential oil - SAF-XJ
Brake fluid - Castrol SRF

With the exception of the brake fluid, it's the same stuff as in your M car. To suggest it's not good quality or that products from another company are better is easier to say than it is to prove. Maybe Redline or Motul make better fluids, and maybe they don't. Personally, I'd go with Motorsports' judgment on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Good thread man. I'm going to use non-BMW fluids when I change both diff and tranny oil in a few months. Not only do I believe what BMW charges is absolutely ridiculous ($50 for a freaking pint), but also that they're not the best around. And at 8K miles (max) every 2 years when I do it, anything would hold, let alone top-shelf fully synthetic fluids. However, I'll keep using TWS motor oil, at least during warranty. I don't believe it's needed the way I drive the car, plus several months of near-freezing weather in winter (too damn thick), but with many engines with bearing problems and other internal maladies (broken springs, VANOS problems, etc), I rather play it safe, although it's very possible that bearing problems are deriving from that too thick TWS that doesn't start lubricating properly several minutes after a cold start. Oh well.

So let's hear it gang. Please list what specific fluids you're using, if at all. I'd like to know which of the best known brands (Redline, Amsoil, M1, Royal Purple) is best for our tranny and diff, and what specific p/n. And I want a diff fluid with FM already in it. Best wishes for the new year to every forum member, especially health.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
You might want to download and read through the BMW Motorsport racing parts catalogs from the BMWNA website.
Race brakes are crap on the streets. And putting an F1 engine in my car wouldn't make it better either. I don't drive the car in a way to remotely need anything with the word 'racing' on it. Yes, I drive it spiritedly at times, and fast on the highway, but don't need any 'special' fluids or parts. In other words, no need for a sledgehammer when a cheaper hammer would be a better choice . Sorry to have offended you .

Oh, and may I remind you this thread CLEARLY states we're looking for alternatives ? Thanks for keeping this thread on topic in the future. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 12-30-2010 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Sorry to have offended you .

Oh, and may I remind you this thread CLEARLY states we're looking for alternatives ? Thanks for keeping this thread on topic in the future. Take care.
Sorry if I offended YOU too. I'm not offended myself. My point is that there's little need for alternative products. The factory ones are among the best there are, so anyone who wants an alternative in order to "do better than the factory did" is wasting their time.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is save money when you aren't working the car very hard, then you do have alternatives that will work. Redline engine oil won't save you any money over the OEM stuff, but a good quality "regular" synthetic like Mobil 1 will save you a few bucks over time. M1 0w-40 would be my choice - when it's on sale at Wal Mart.

As for trans and diff fluids, they will definitely cost more if you use the factory stuff, but it won't amount to a hill of beans over the first 200,000 miles. There's a trans fluid alternative available from Pentosin that's less expensive.

The diff is where I wouldn't compromise. SAF-XJ is just plain good for the job, and while it's a bit pricey, I'd rather skip changing it than use something else. Most diffs can run for a "lifetime" on that quality fluid, so just leave it there.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
kingfish01
Rep

What makes you so sure the factory fluids are the best? As I understand, BMW has a contract with Castrol. Is Castrol the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Sorry if I offended YOU too. I'm not offended myself. My point is that there's little need for alternative products. The factory ones are among the best there are, so anyone who wants an alternative in order to "do better than the factory did" is wasting their time.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is save money when you aren't working the car very hard, then you do have alternatives that will work. Redline engine oil won't save you any money over the OEM stuff, but a good quality "regular" synthetic like Mobil 1 will save you a few bucks over time. M1 0w-40 would be my choice - when it's on sale at Wal Mart.

As for trans and diff fluids, they will definitely cost more if you use the factory stuff, but it won't amount to a hill of beans over the first 200,000 miles. There's a trans fluid alternative available from Pentosin that's less expensive.

The diff is where I wouldn't compromise. SAF-XJ is just plain good for the job, and while it's a bit pricey, I'd rather skip changing it than use something else. Most diffs can run for a "lifetime" on that quality fluid, so just leave it there.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish01 View Post
What makes you so sure the factory fluids are the best? As I understand, BMW has a contract with Castrol. Is Castrol the best?
I didn't mean to say that the Castrol products are the only "best", just that they are as good as any alternative products that you'll find at any price from any other manufacturer.

Castrol is a competent lubricant supplier and has a long-term relationship with BMW. Just like the small boutique specialty blenders, they can make top-level products. Similarly, if BMW tore up the Castrol contract and signed a new deal with, lets say, Shell, Shell wouldn't break a sweat delivering equivalents for most of the Castrol products.

The anomaly is MTF-LT2 gear oil. It's not Castrol (it's anonymous) and whoever the supplier is, they seem to have a lock on it.
Appreciate 0