BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW M3 Coupe

Got a 335 loaner

Took my E46 M3 in for service and I got a 335 loaner. I must say that it is an amazing car to drive. It was an automatic with 1300 miles. I have already put on 200 miles. The handling, braking and power all work in concert. Now I can understand how with a few tweaks this can be a beast.
      01-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

what do you think about the transmission ? isn't it as smooth as the butter ?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

Eh I didnt like my 335 Loaner as much =/ . Maybe I was just pist on the poor job Bmw did on my car so I was hating on all Bimmers
      01-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

The 335 is no slouch. That would have been my car had the E92 M3 not been born.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

I had one once as a loaner as well. The turbo I6 was lots o fun. But, the suspension was way too soft.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

A 335i wanted to have some fun with me on the road a few days ago and I figured I'd stretch the M3's legs a bit. I realized two things. The 335i is faster than I thought and my M3 is slower than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
I had one once as a loaner as well. The turbo I6 was lots o fun. But, the suspension was way too soft.
I had one, as well. It was quick, but didn't have much feel. Not too much fun to drive. With a manual and decent suspension I'm sure it would be much better.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, MSM, Clubman S

I had a 335 loaner and the automatic stinks. It shifted all weird and basically when it wanted to.
      01-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
The 335 is no slouch. That would have been my car had the E92 M3 not been born.
+1.

I drove a 335 with software.. those things are fast.
      01-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Chiafrog
Rep
Drives: E90 '09 M3/DCT

I always find this discussion interesting.
As a current 335i owner, I just placed my order for my new '09 M3 for numerous reasons.

I love my 335i, with the Dinan upgrade it's extremely fast. Probably faster 0-40 in a straight line than the M3 I've been test driving. I added the software to my 335 thinking that would get me past M3 envy. It did - until I drove one. I almost wish I hadn't. I LOVED my car, it was my baby, but after spending some time with the M3, I just can't look at it the same anymore, now when I drive it, it feels like it lost something. Comparing the two is almost unfair, but here were my impressions.

The power curve and delivery is extremely different between the two. (Of course, turbo vs. naturally aspirated) But I didn't expect how large of a difference. The 335 is a slingshot. You press the gas and you go as fast as your tires will let you, it's a rush, but your control feels limited. By comparison, the M3 is a rocket, you don't have the head jerking whiplash moment, but the power just builds and builds. By the time you hit 60+ on the 335i (while you still have more power than 95% of the cars around you, you feel like the "Oh @#$%" moment has passed). By contrast the M3 feels like it's just getting started when you hit 60. It's begging for more.

My 335 these days feels like a bludgeon. I push the gas and I go, and wow, do I go, but now it feels like it's either on or off. Where's the fine control? Same with steering. I thought I had great control. I thought I could feel the road and get the most of the car. But compared to the M3 I just have to feel bad. The ability to feel when you're rounding the corner and know your tires are right at the break loose point, and you're holding the throttle right at that knife edge point where any more gas and you break loose, but any less and you're not realizing the full potential of the car is beautiful. The difference between the two is not huge, but once you've felt it, it feels like a chasm. Oh - and did I mention the sound of that V8? <grins>.

In short, in a drag race, especially at lower speeds, I'll actually put my money on my 335, but give me a winding mountain road, or a track, or even just the pure tactile enjoyment on the drive into work, and I'll be with the M3 any day. The M3 is not about the power and acceleration, although it has plenty of that. It's the control, the precision, and just the overall feeling. You can't drive it and not be smiling. (That said, I'm really worried about the M decision to go to forced induction. I can't imagine how they'll maintain the precision and beautiful rising - and rising - and rising power curve that makes the M so special with a turbo engine.)

Now I just need to figure out how to get mine delivered sooner. Anyone know if you can fed-ex a car?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
s420merc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 300c SRT8 , ML350

Here you go u can have a car air shipped i am sure it would be some $$$$ though count on about $2.50-$3.00 per pound.
http://www.shipping-worldwide.com/air-cargo.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiafrog View Post
As a current 335i owner, I just placed my order for my new '09 M3 for numerous reasons.

I love my 335i, with the Dinan upgrade it's extremely fast. Probably faster 0-40 in a straight line than the M3 I've been test driving. I added the software to my 335 thinking that would get me past M3 envy. It did - until I drove one. I almost wish I hadn't. I LOVED my car, it was my baby, but after spending some time with the M3, I just can't look at it the same anymore, now when I drive it, it feels like it lost something. Comparing the two is almost unfair, but here were my impressions.

The power curve and delivery is extremely different between the two. (Of course, turbo vs. naturally aspirated) But I didn't expect how large of a difference. The 335 is a slingshot. You press the gas and you go as fast as your tires will let you, it's a rush, but your control feels limited. By comparison, the M3 is a rocket, you don't have the head jerking whiplash moment, but the power just builds and builds. By the time you hit 60+ on the 335i (while you still have more power than 95% of the cars around you, you feel like the "Oh @#$%" moment has passed). By contrast the M3 feels like it's just getting started when you hit 60. It's begging for more.

My 335 these days feels like a bludgeon. I push the gas and I go, and wow, do I go, but now it feels like it's either on or off. Where's the fine control? Same with steering. I thought I had great control. I thought I could feel the road and get the most of the car. But compared to the M3 I just have to feel bad. The ability to feel when you're rounding the corner and know your tires are right at the break loose point, and you're holding the throttle right at that knife edge point where any more gas and you break loose, but any less and you're not realizing the full potential of the car is beautiful. The difference between the two is not huge, but once you've felt it, it feels like a chasm. Oh - and did I mention the sound of that V8? <grins>.

In short, in a drag race, especially at lower speeds, I'll actually put my money on my 335, but give me a winding mountain road, or a track, or even just the pure tactile enjoyment on the drive into work, and I'll be with the M3 any day. The M3 is not about the power and acceleration, although it has plenty of that. It's the control, the precision, and just the overall feeling. You can't drive it and not be smiling. (That said, I'm really worried about the M decision to go to forced induction. I can't imagine how they'll maintain the precision and beautiful rising - and rising - and rising power curve that makes the M so special with a turbo engine.)

Now I just need to figure out how to get mine delivered sooner. Anyone know if you can fed-ex a car?
Nice post. All good points.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Herknav
Won't drink the koolaid
United_States
Rep
Drives: blown and all natural

Can I just say that it has been a refreshing read here... this could have turned into a hater-thread (did I really use that term? damn) but it didn't. Much respect to the membership that allowed this.
      01-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
That said, I'm really worried about the M decision to go to forced induction. I can't imagine how they'll maintain the precision and beautiful rising - and rising - and rising power curve that makes the M so special with a turbo engine.
My best guess if they will base it on the I-6, by using a sequential turbo setup - like the Supra had, and the 335d has. If anybody can do it and make it perfectly seamless, it's BMW.

And that being said, I have exactly the same observations you do, and seriously considering an M3 for my next car...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
My best guess if they will base it on the I-6, by using a sequential turbo setup - like the Supra had, and the 335d has. If anybody can do it and make it perfectly seamless, it's BMW.

And that being said, I have exactly the same observations you do, and seriously considering an M3 for my next car...
So am I.

Some interesting points here but it is obvious that the poster who thought the 335 suspension was "too soft" has never driven a 335i with ZSP in New York City. I also question the poster who thought that the transmission shifted "all weird and shifted whenever it wanted to". In DS mode you have full control over what gear you are in with a few minor exceptions, The major exception is that it will not allow a downshift that wil over rev the engine. In automatic it does indeed shift whenever it wants to. That is what automatic transmissions do. The question is whetehr or not it was choosing bad shift points. With the wide torque curve of the 335i engine the shift points are not as critical as they would be in many other cars, the M3 probably being one of them.

The 335 is my first BMW and I think it is a very good car. Is the M3 even better? Quite likely, but the 335 is no slouch. Is it enough better to tempt me to switch? That has not yet been determined.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
ssii
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E36 M3

Garage List
1995 Toyota Supra T ...  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [0.00]
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Man your lucky I dropped of my E90 M3 for its first service and was promised a BMW loaner, they gave me a 2006 Nissan Versa that smelt like cigarettes and had puke inside on the rear drivers side door. I flipped out but still never got a BMW loaner.

But glad you liked the 335 my bro has one with the dinan stage 2, its very fast and has lots of torque.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
You could have changed out the 335 suspension with the M3 arms. That and swapping out the runflats, would be the perfect daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonnnn View Post
I had a 335 loaner and the automatic stinks. It shifted all weird and basically when it wanted to.
You need to know how to drive an auto with your right foot. It'll sense when you lift, even a little, and it'll shift. So it was actually you who was shifting all funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
So am I.

Some interesting points here but it is obvious that the poster who thought the 335 suspension was "too soft" has never driven a 335i with ZSP in New York City. The 335 is my first BMW and I think it is a very good car. Is the M3 even better? Quite likely, but the 335 is no slouch. Is it enough better to tempt me to switch? That has not yet been determined.

CA

Consider changing out those damn fun-flats. They just SUCK on bumpy roads. Also consider the suspension changes I mentioned above if you're keeping the car. It's not too much cash and all stock parts.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #18
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Consider changing out those damn fun-flats. They just SUCK on bumpy roads. Also consider the suspension changes I mentioned above if you're keeping the car. It's not too much cash and all stock parts.
I bought the car in Palm Beach Florida and shipped it to NYC (we have homes in both places). I ditched the RFTs after two weeks in NYC. It was a big improvement but I still have to constantly be on the watch for potholes.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-16-2009 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
So am I.

Some interesting points here but it is obvious that the poster who thought the 335 suspension was "too soft" has never driven a 335i with ZSP in New York City. I also question the poster who thought that the transmission shifted "all weird and shifted whenever it wanted to". In DS mode you have full control over what gear you are in with a few minor exceptions, The major exception is that it will not allow a downshift that wil over rev the engine. In automatic it does indeed shift whenever it wants to. That is what automatic transmissions do. The question is whetehr or not it was choosing bad shift points. With the wide torque curve of the 335i engine the shift points are not as critical as they would be in many other cars, the M3 probably being one of them.

The 335 is my first BMW and I think it is a very good car. Is the M3 even better? Quite likely, but the 335 is no slouch. Is it enough better to tempt me to switch? That has not yet been determined.

CA
I agree. I was not driving it on the track. I took plenty of on-ramps and off-ramps hard. Though not as tight as the M3, the suspension did a great job of holding the line. The transmission is not an SMG and behaved exactly as an automatic transmission should. The shifts are controlled by your right foot and once you get the hang of it, you know exactly when the shift will occur. If you use the accelerator as an on/off switch the shift becomes unpredictable. I am not comparing it just to my M, but to the multitude of cars that I have owned. I stand by my original observation. It is a well sorted fun car that most people underestimate. With a few mods.....
      01-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msile View Post
I agree. I was not driving it on the track. I took plenty of on-ramps and off-ramps hard. Though not as tight as the M3, the suspension did a great job of holding the line. The transmission is not an SMG and behaved exactly as an automatic transmission should. The shifts are controlled by your right foot and once you get the hang of it, you know exactly when the shift will occur. If you use the accelerator as an on/off switch the shift becomes unpredictable. I am not comparing it just to my M, but to the multitude of cars that I have owned. I stand by my original observation. It is a well sorted fun car that most people underestimate. With a few mods.....

Using the accelerator as an on/off switch is just bad driving technique regardless of what type of transmission the car has.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #21
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:

Great post! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #22
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Some interesting points here but it is obvious that the poster who thought the 335 suspension was "too soft" has never driven a 335i with ZSP in New York City.
From personal experience, the EDC suspension in Comfort mode rides better than the 335i ZSP. And in Sport mode is firmer.

Mind you I'm comparing to my car which doesn't use runflats anymore - the M3 managed to be still more comfortable in the right suspension setting. It's amazing.

If BMW sold a 135i or 335i "tii" with 300 lbs less weight, a limited slip, the EDC suspension and a mild power upgrade I would buy that and be happy for a very long time. But since they don't, my dream currently features the M3.
Appreciate 0