BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Powder coating stock wheels, yay or nay?

Sooo, I’m going wheel shopping again. Because I absolutely cannot help myself lol. I have my anthracite Arc-8s that I want to use for the track, but I have been looking around for something different for the street. My plan is to sell my oem wheels and put that money towards something new, but one of my friends suggested that I powder coat my stock wheels in the color I want. Not sure how I feel about this. I am worried about 2 things.

1. The powder coated wheels won’t come out how I envision, then I’ll be stuck with cheesy looking rims.
2. That powder coated BMW wheels will have less resale value than if they were just left alone, and they might be harder to sell… don’t know for sure I guess.

To put it in perspective, this is the direction I was heading as far as color/style choice:

Name:  bronze 1.png
Views: 11326
Size:  1.15 MB Name:  bronze 2.png
Views: 8326
Size:  857.7 KB Name:  bronze 3.png
Views: 7450
Size:  806.6 KB

Oh, and these are the stock wheels I have, just need to get the old tires off of them:

Name:  stock wheels.JPG
Views: 8552
Size:  237.4 KB

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

Sidenote - really want that brake kit shown in the pics too, so that shows the eventual total color scheme I have in mind… I should probably wait though, as I just spent a bunch of $$ on suspension and engine parts to install over the next couple months and my brakes are just fine… I guess I better get my project list started for next year
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I've seen black stock 19" wheels and thought they looked WAY better than in the polished finish.
As for the brakes, keep an eye out for used sets here.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      10-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

There isn't that much of a market for Style 220s anyways, I say if you're bored and looking to change things up on a budget/without dropping big $ on a whole new set, then go for it!

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
cliverman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I powder coated my 359s and they came out great. I'm always wheel shopping, I also can't help myself. I can't find anything under $2k a wheel that I like better than my 359s.
Make sure that if you do powder coat you get matching wheel lugs. Powder coating the lugs is no bueno. The coating comes off when changing tire, brakes, etc...
2015 F82 ///M4 (Ret.)
2011 E92 ///M3 (Ret.)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Sorry, been super busy. Not trying to be a jerk lol…

Guys, this is actually much more encouraging than I expected. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I've seen black stock 19" wheels and thought they looked WAY better than in the polished finish.
As for the brakes, keep an eye out for used sets here.
Oh, that is a great suggestion on the brakes. Not sure why I haven’t looked around for parts that I am in the market for that might be for sale on this forum yet, but I really should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
There isn't that much of a market for Style 220s anyways, I say if you're bored and looking to change things up on a budget/without dropping big $ on a whole new set, then go for it!
You know, I looked around on eBay and some other forums to see what level of demand there was for these particular wheels, and the price they were selling for, but I wasn’t super thrilled about what I found. I was thinking about putting up an ad on Craigslist just to see if there was someone local who was willing to meet my price, otherwise, I suppose powder coating my stock wheels could be a viable option for me. With all the other stuff I am trying to do in my car life, I am trying to not be ridiculous and spend too much on a second set of wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliverman View Post
I powder coated my 359s and they came out great. I'm always wheel shopping, I also can't help myself. I can't find anything under $2k a wheel that I like better than my 359s.
Make sure that if you do powder coat you get matching wheel lugs. Powder coating the lugs is no bueno. The coating comes off when changing tire, brakes, etc...
Ohh, can I see pics of your wheels? I guess I would really need to make sure that I picked a top notch place to do the work. Luckily, my friend who suggested I powdercoat my wheels has found a local place to do the wheels on his bike, so I can see first hand the quality of their work.

Lol, I know… The wheels I really want are more than $2k a piece, but that is just unreasonable right now with the amount of other things I want to do. Plus, I am trying to save money for a Laguna Seca Blue e46 M3 (I have my heart set on one)… I have a 2 year plan

Thanks for the advice! I am always taking my wheels off for one reason or another, so I will make sure and buy matching lugs instead of powder coating them to match, if I end up taking that route.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
cliverman
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Sorry, been super busy. Not trying to be a jerk lol…

Guys, this is actually much more encouraging than I expected. Thanks!

Oh, that is a great suggestion on the brakes. Not sure why I haven’t looked around for parts that I am in the market for that might be for sale on this forum yet, but I really should.

You know, I looked around on eBay and some other forums to see what level of demand there was for these particular wheels, and the price they were selling for, but I wasn’t super thrilled about what I found. I was thinking about putting up an ad on Craigslist just to see if there was someone local who was willing to meet my price, otherwise, I suppose powder coating my stock wheels could be a viable option for me. With all the other stuff I am trying to do in my car life, I am trying to not be ridiculous and spend too much on a second set of wheels

Ohh, can I see pics of your wheels? I guess I would really need to make sure that I picked a top notch place to do the work. Luckily, my friend who suggested I powdercoat my wheels has found a local place to do the wheels on his bike, so I can see first hand the quality of their work.

Lol, I know… The wheels I really want are more than $2k a piece, but that is just unreasonable right now with the amount of other things I want to do. Plus, I am trying to save money for a Laguna Seca Blue e46 M3 (I have my heart set on one)… I have a 2 year plan

Thanks for the advice! I am always taking my wheels off for one reason or another, so I will make sure and buy matching lugs instead of powder coating them to match, if I end up taking that route.
Here's a pic of my wheels.
Attached Images

2015 F82 ///M4 (Ret.)
2011 E92 ///M3 (Ret.)
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      10-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

my 220M's are powdercoated
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      10-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Here's a pic of my wheels.
Dang, those look really good. Especially with the yellow calipers

I do like that style of wheel a little better than mine though...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Pics please!! I like to compile as much data as I can before making a decision on my car. I am very decisive in all other parts of my life besides M3 decisions, very silly actually...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Pics please!! I like to compile as much data as I can before making a decision on my car. I am very decisive in all other parts of my life besides M3 decisions, very silly actually...
I can only show one pic of the rim because I have stuff in the garage and no way I can move it now. Ill see if I can find some more.

Edit: found one, fresh from a detail
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I have never seen a set of powdercoated 220s that I liked. They're a nice understated wheel and look good with the OEM machined face.

Why not go for a set of 219/260 and powdercoat those? Tires are also cheaper.

BTW here's a whole thread full of photos of painted/powdercoated 220 wheels. It just confirms my dislike of them in black.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430341
      10-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I can only show one pic of the rim because I have stuff in the garage and no way I can move it now. Ill see if I can find some more.

Omg, those look hot. Well, you have shown me something here. I already knew I didn’t like silver wheels on my black car, so maybe that is my main issue with the stock rims, not so much the actual style. Thank you! Visual aids help so much with this particular decision... You are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Omg, those look hot. Well, you have shown me something here. I already knew I didnÂ’t like silver wheels on my black car, so maybe that is my main issue with the stock rims, not so much the actual style. Thank you! Visual aids help so much with this particular decision... You are appreciated!
No prob, but like dparm said, there are more resources in that link
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #14
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I have never seen a set of powdercoated 220s that I liked. They're a nice understated wheel and look good with the OEM machined face.

BTW here's a whole thread full of photos of painted/powdercoated 220 wheels. It just confirms my dislike of them in black.
Thank you so much for the link to that thread, that is exactly what I was looking for - I was right about to start scouring the internet for pics of 220 wheels that had been powder coated. Honestly though, most of those don't look too bad IMO... some are questionable though, at best. I am hopelessly indecisive when it comes to car decisions

219/260s, are those 18s? I am stuck on my 19s... I learned quick that there are waayyyy more tire options (plus better prices) with 18s, but I have my preferences for looks... I'm not trying to be difficult, I swear lol. One day, when I am to the point where shaving seconds off my lap time is important to me I will go for 18s for sure.

Quote:
No prob, but like dparm said, there are more resources in that link
That last pic of your car though, oh my. That blue is just beautiful. It's amazing how much of a difference lighting makes in pictures.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
cliverman
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Dang, those look really good. Especially with the yellow calipers

I do like that style of wheel a little better than mine though...
Thanks. The Sparta BBK barely fit.
Good luck with your decision
2015 F82 ///M4 (Ret.)
2011 E92 ///M3 (Ret.)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

219/260s, are those 18s? I am stuck on my 19s... I learned quick that there are waayyyy more tire options (plus better prices) with 18s, but I have my preferences for looks... I'm not trying to be difficult, I swear lol. One day, when I am to the point where shaving seconds off my lap time is important to me I will go for 18s for sure.

Yes, 219/260 is an 18" wheel.

I sometimes prefer the 18" wheel on the M3, particularly the sedan. It gives it more of a bulldog/hunched-down look. If I hadn't gotten a ZCP sedan with 359 wheels, I would've actually opted for the 18s instead.
      10-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #17
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. The Sparta BBK barely fit.
Good luck with your decision
Thanks

Quote:
Yes, 219/260 is an 18" wheel.

I sometimes prefer the 18" wheel on the M3, particularly the sedan. It gives it more of a bulldog/hunched-down look. If I hadn't gotten a ZCP sedan with 359 wheels, I would've actually opted for the 18s instead.
Well, I will add them to the list of possible options - I am already spending my limited spare time looking at wheel pics online, may as well have some extra ideas to toss around. Thank you!

While looking around I found this cool website showing all the different wheels BMW has made:

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com

Not really sure how relevant this is to my specific discussion here, but I thought it was interesting to see the progression of wheels throughout the years. Thought it was worth sharing.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #18
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

I agree, although I recognize wheels are highly subjective.

The ZCP wheel looks really good in black, perhaps because that's what the GTS used.

OP, those wheels you linked in the first post are the Forgestars. A friend has them in his 09 6MT E60 M5 (black/black/black color) and they look nice, although I'm not a fan of black wheels on black cars either
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #19
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
I had my ZCP wheels powder coated dark bronze and they came out looking great. They are a tad bit too dark for me but going lighter might have made too much of a contrast. Very pleased with the result overall, can't comment on resale value though.

I can take better and closer pics if you want.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #20
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I agree, although I recognize wheels are highly subjective.

The ZCP wheel looks really good in black, perhaps because that's what the GTS used.

OP, those wheels you linked in the first post are the Forgestars. A friend has them in his 09 6MT E60 M5 (black/black/black color) and they look nice, although I'm not a fan of black wheels on black cars either
Oops, sorry. Just saw this. What the hell happened to Monday? Lol

Yeah, I had originally looked at Forgestars when I got my first set of wheels, but ended up going with my Arc 8s. I really like the super deep concave look though, and I especially like that dark bronze.

I feel the same about black on black. Even though I prefer darker wheels on my car over a silver finish, I need there to be some contrast.

Last night I made a friend that works at Michelin who has a great connect at HRE. I am supposed to get him over some ideas so he can see what he can do. I have always wanted HRE wheels, so, I guess I’ll see what happens with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
I had my ZCP wheels powder coated dark bronze and they came out looking great. They are a tad bit too dark for me but going lighter might have made too much of a contrast. Very pleased with the result overall, can't comment on resale value though.

I can take better and closer pics if you want.
Umm, that is the exact color I want. Those look incredible!! This is just what I needed to see. Super useful pics, thank you! I have started seriously considering powder coating my 220s, if I do I will want the same shade of bronze as that. I worry that if I go much brighter it will just be too much for my taste, but I don’t want them to look just black either. Finding that perfect balance is key.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #21
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Finding that perfect balance is key.
So true, I didn't want black and going too light would look crappy to me. A shade lighter might be better but I am good with it at least for now.

Good luck, the color is called Dark Bronze.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      10-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #22
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
So true, I didn't want black and going too light would look crappy to me. A shade lighter might be better but I am good with it at least for now.

Good luck, the color is called Dark Bronze.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0