BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3

wheel weight removal?

Is it normal for tire shops to scratch and chip the inside of the wheels while removing the weights to rebalance?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Dengel
Non-Guido Jersey Resident
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow Jeep Rubicon

nope. thats just a neglectful tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had to have a tire patched and dealer won't do patches. So I had it done at the closest place to avoid the risk of a flat tire. I called to complain and they say, yeah they are really stuck on there so they have to pry them off. This is the 2 nd tire shop to do this and I told them no less then 3 times to not damage my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
Is it normal for tire shops to scratch and chip the inside of the wheels while removing the weights to rebalance?
The OEM weights are really hard to get off, and even regular ones are a challenge. I've cleaned up two sets of wheels in the last two weekends, and I have to say it's hard to get the weights off without damage. It can be done, but it's a challenge. Getting the glue off is the real problem!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
4emthree5
ooT ooT
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
The OEM weights are really hard to get off, and even regular ones are a challenge. I've cleaned up two sets of wheels in the last two weekends, and I have to say it's hard to get the weights off without damage. It can be done, but it's a challenge. Getting the glue off is the real problem!
How did you get the glue/gunk off?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4emthree5 View Post
How did you get the glue/gunk off?
Varsol (paint thinner) to get down to a thin layer of stuff, then a product called "Goof Off" to get down to the last little bit of adhesive residue. Then finish with acetone.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
Unfortunately it's 'normal', meaning most of them use a freaking screwdriver to remove them indeed. I ALWAYS either remove wheel weights myself with a plastic pry tool, or instruct shop to remove them that way with my own tool. Removing residue is easy: roll excess with your fingers, then use WD40 on the remaining adhesive, followed by cleaning WD40 residue so weights stick to that area if necessary.

I also instruct shop to use NEW weights if tech screws up the location. They NEVER stick the same if they're repositioned. Always check that they're tight before driving off the shop. You just can't trust those shops with cars like the M3. That's why I never take that car there. I removed wheels and weighs myself, then take the wheels alone. And they still managed to scratch one of my wheels along the edge, and had the nerve to claim it was already there, when wheels were just powdercoated . You can never be too careful with those places.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah,
I had to have a tire patched, picked up a screw on the way to work. I used the shop that patched one previously without damage, but I still told them no less than 3 times to not damage the wheels. I then proceded to tell them about the last place that I bought my tires at had to buy me a brand new set of wheels, because they damaged all 4 wheels. He said no problem, I understand, we can do it. As usual their defintion of not damaging the wheel is different than mine. I learned my lesson last time and would never take it anywhere accept BMW, however I would have had to drive 10 miles with the screw in it to reach the BMW dealership and risk a complete flat tire, which would have caused significantly more damage. Oh well thanks for listening or reading I should say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Unfortunately it's 'normal', meaning most of them use a freaking screwdriver to remove them indeed. I ALWAYS either remove wheel weights myself with a plastic pry tool, or instruct shop to remove them that way with my own tool. Removing residue is easy: roll excess with your fingers, then use WD40 on the remaining adhesive, followed by cleaning WD40 residue so weights stick to that area if necessary.

I also instruct shop to use NEW weights if tech screws up the location. They NEVER stick the same if they're repositioned. Always check that they're tight before driving off the shop. You just can't trust those shops with cars like the M3. That's why I never take that car there. I removed wheels and weighs myself, then take the wheels alone. And they still managed to scratch one of my wheels along the edge, and had the nerve to claim it was already there, when wheels were just powdercoated . You can never be too careful with those places.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Varsol (paint thinner) to get down to a thin layer of stuff, then a product called "Goof Off" to get down to the last little bit of adhesive residue. Then finish with acetone.
I would be extremely cautious with the acetone on any wheel with paint or clear coat (i.e. almost all wheels). Acetone is a great solvent - dissolves just about anything, cleans well and evaporates quickly but the "anything" typically applies to paint and clear coats as well. I would even be cautious with the other two solvents. The WD-40 solution sounds far superior. I say sounds only because I have not tried it myself.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Pretty soon you'll have to do a form like they have for rental cars. Inspect for damage together before, sign off, then inspect again after. It shouldn't be normal, but it is all too common to see damage from prying them off, sloppy use of mounting equipment, etc.
      08-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I would be extremely cautious with the acetone on any wheel with paint or clear coat (i.e. almost all wheels). Acetone is a great solvent - dissolves just about anything, cleans well and evaporates quickly but the "anything" typically applies to paint and clear coats as well. I would even be cautious with the other two solvents. The WD-40 solution sounds far superior. I say sounds only because I have not tried it myself.
I hadn't thought of WD-40, although at the blending level it's probably not that different than the system I use. It's got some plain ordinary alkane hydrocarbons, some aromatics and probably some polar stuff as well. It will leave a residue, which the combo I use does not. That might interfere with the ability of new weights to stay in place.

Once the wheels have new balance weights installed, I apply a spray of Motul Shine and Go to the rims. It's a silicone and keeps at least some of the brake dust from sticking.

You're absolutely right about the ability for acetone to damage certain types of polymer finishes - always test it on the rim finish first using it. Even then, only use it on the back.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
4emthree5
ooT ooT
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Going to try WD-40 as soon as I get the chance....
Appreciate 0