BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

11-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #67
SAINT VAN ROCK
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012, E92 DCT M3

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #68
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Excellent write up. This kind of passion for what you do and not just what you sell sets iND apart from the rest.

But now you have me drooling for this wheel in this finish for my AB M5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #69
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Thank you all so much for all of the kind words! We feel lucky to be able to share experiences like these with M3Post members.

MFlight folks, it was truly great to meet such a dedicated group of M fans. Thank you all again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
Excellent write up. This kind of passion for what you do and not just what you sell sets iND apart from the rest.

But now you have me drooling for this wheel in this finish for my AB M5.
The ceramic polished finish is absolutely incredible. It's really something that needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. The depth of the polish, and it's smoothness are very unique.
      11-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #70
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Amazing pics M24 FTW
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #71
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

Thanks for sharing this pics and your trip. hope someday i can visit places like this as well. thanks again...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #72
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I just love love love BBS...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #73
IND-Distribution
Rep

Today we are proud to release an appendix to that story. This portion of our tour could not be published with the rest of the story, as this facility contains machinery and equipment so secret that every single photo had to be reviewed prior to this writing. I present to M3Post a truly rare treat- a tour of the original BBS manufacturing facility.

The BBS Shiltach facility is a true piece of history; even the company’s name is a combination of its two founders and their home town – Baumgartner, Brand, and the city of Schiltach. What started as a humble facility responsible for manufacturing plastic exterior components grew quickly into a company that literally invented the racing wheel as we know it today. This facility has expanded over the years, to the point where the adjacent river had to be moved to accommodate the growth. Although BBS has additional manufacturing facilities in Germany, the Schiltach facility is where it all began. It is proof that two people with a commitment to being the best and a belief in their mission can truly accomplish anything.

Of course, the first things we saw on display at BBS were wheels. Our eyes darted from one display wheel to another, as BBS exhibited everything from the classic BBS RS, to a CH in an incredible gold finish, to BBS Formula 1 wheels.

BBS wheel manufacturing begins at a point that few other wheel companies ever see- directly at the raw material stage. Where most manufacturers purchase pre-“forged” blanks from manufacturers in China, Taiwan, and other facilities, BBS goes much further. BBS does not even use pre-mixed aluminum alloy, but rather imports each individual element, and creates a unique alloy proprietary to BBS. This is the only way to maintain the standard of quality BBS requires. The large stacks of material in the first photo are raw aluminum, while the piece held in the last photo of this sequence is a block of raw magnesium. BBS purchases Silicon, Iron, Copper, Magnesium, Manganese, Chromium, Zinc, and other raw materials to create their proprietary alloys.

One can feel the heat radiating from BBS’ furnaces as you approach, and I personally was left with a feeling of awe at the true industrial manufacturing power that BBS held at its fingertips.

After the materials are combined to form an alloy, extensive testing is conducted to ensure that the alloy is absolutely pure and contains the appropriate mixture of elements for the desired metallurgical properties. In the last photo of this set, a sample is being prepared for a mass spectrometer to analyze the contents of the sample.

The completed alloy travels to one of these machines, where it undergoes a high pressure casting process that ensures an excellent material density, lower porosity, and better grain structure alignment than standard low pressure cast wheels.

This photo is of a casting tool made for a very famous BBS wheel- the classic BBS CH. I’m sure most of you can recognize the CH spoke shape, even when it’s viewed as a negative.

Once a wheel comes out of casting the remaining casting flash is removed and the wheel is x rayed for excessive porosity and poor material density. The x ray’s initial review is judged by machine which substantially increases the precision and sensitivity with which a wheel can be reviewed, but if a flaw is found the machine operator is alerted and each potential flaw is reviewed by a person. To maintain the highest level of quality the x ray operator shifts are only four hours long, which preserves the operator’s focus and attention to detail.

After the wheels are approved they move through a series of additional processes which we unfortunately can’t show in detail. The wheels are de-burred and cleaned, and then move to flow forming. A careful look at the wheel barrels in the photos above will reveal that the barrels are quite narrow in width, and very thick in wall thickness. This is because after the wheel is through its high pressure casting process, the barrel section goes through flow forming. During flow forming two die draw the barrel downwards and literally force the metal into its finished width. Flow forming uses extreme pressure to form the barrel, which results in an excellent density and much better grain alignment than even a standard high pressure casting, resulting in an incredibly strong wheel that can be sold for a very reasonable price.

Finally, BBS wheels are heat treated and annealed, an extra step not taken by many manufacturers, which normalizes the grain structure and therefore further improves the strength of the wheel.

Walking around the BBS Schiltach facility leaves one thing clear- the sheer volume of wheels produced at Schiltach is absolutely staggering. Responsible for two thousand wheels per day, pallet after pallet of completed wheels await finishing and occupy thousands of square feet of storage space. The amount of production just this one BBS facility is capable of was truly a shock.

While most of the wheels move through BBS’ specialized paint process, shown in the first image above, some lucky wheels do encounter the pink ceramic pellets in the last photo. BBS’ ceramic polishing process creates a mirror-like finish that is incredibly striking.

Thank you very much to our friends at BBS for showing us the BBS facility!
      11-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #74
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Very Cool.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #75
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Great footage!! IND is one of the most recognizable company around Bimmers and not only! The quality is just TOP.

Congrats guys

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #76
IND-Distribution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
Great footage!! IND is one of the most recognizable company around Bimmers and not only! The quality is just TOP.

Congrats guys

Thank you so much for your kind words!
      11-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #77
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

i am soooo jealous i wasn't there

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #78
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words!
I'm just telling the truth.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #79
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Thanks for sharing guys.. def looked more fun than Sema..
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #80
OerdingE93
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mineral White E93 M3 DCT

wow! It must be such a treat to visit such iconic places; not to mention being in Deutschland.

Thanks for all the eye candy and enjoy you're trip

|ESS VT1-550 510whp|MRF MID|AKRA REAR|CKS COILS|FORGESTAR|CSL TRUNK|GT4 Lip|3D-DESIGN
Appreciate 0