BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #67
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Yup, that's how I roll. The boss lady a.k.a social director is in charge in our house. That reminds me, I have to submit a proposal for a new x-pipe, and a new watch.... wish me luck!
don't forget the references!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #68
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
The tune does not stress any of the parts as unbelievable as that may be.
Ok. This is the core of our conversation. This is the only thing I have talked about in this whole exchange, except for my curiosity about trolling. A little background. I have a degree in chemical engineering, and I have worked for 15 years in heavy industrial environments (refineries, power plants, etc), which means I know a little something about pumps and motors. This statement ABSOLUTELY 100% PROVES to me that you don't.
      10-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #69
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
He drives an Audi, so he couldn't be interested in handling
Only a troll looking for trouble couldn't see this was a joke.
Of course, all the other trolls have to join in with the "fanboi" remarks.
I've actually owned more Porsche's than BMW's, and quite a few other brands as well.
If I was still driving a Porsche I wouldn't be hanging around an M3 forum waving my dick around.

And seriously, why would an S4 owner hang out on an M3 site trying to compare cars?
And then to go on to call M3 owners fanbois? You don't see us on Audi sites bashing Audi and insulting Audi owners.

Enjoy your S4's.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #70
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

joe, did you have your dct lack issue resolved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
What a bunch of retards. Both sides, but mostly the M3 fanboys. LOSERS.

I'm on my third M3. I've had two 2002s. Five BMWs. I've owned an Audi RS6 and a couple of A4s.

All eight cars have distinctly different personalities. I've had things I liked and things I didn't like about each.

To come on this forum and state one car is better than the other is ignorant and shows quite clearly the immaturity of the poster.

Good luck, fanboys.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #71
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
1. Supercharger is under same load no matter if tune or no tune because pulley is not changed hence supercharger is not spinning faster.
2. Supercharger is driven by a belt so when you have the car at 7200rpm the charger is spinning at AAAA RPM so a tune will change nothing when the car is going at 7200rpm.
3. The stock setup basically has the pressure at 12psi of boost at 5000rpm and then the valve vents the rest of the boost 5000rpm onwards but the supercharger is still producing 21psi of boost.
4. Tune basically redirects the boost towards the engine rather than bleeding it off so the supercharger is still providing 21psi but the engine is using the full boost.
5. So nothing has changed for the supercharger so how is it stressed?
6. Engine internals are minimally stressed even if it is at all since at 5000rpm the engine was getting 21psi of boost anyways just now the tune is providing this all the way to 7200rpm so the tune does not exceed the stock boost levels just provides it a tad longer.
So explain to me how the engine internals are affected. Oh thermally the intercoolers on the S4 can handle the tune because Vag-com indicates no significant increase in temps.
Still don't see too much problems yet same for 335i owners who have been running their turbo cars and they don't have too many blown engines yet though their as been a few but their turbo setup is different.
Like I said I have a modded 2000 A4 from 155hp and 155torque and it is now producing 225hp and 255 torque and it is 10years and no problem.

You can say what you like but rather than give me book application education crap please apply it to this setup for the explanation and stop telling others of your credentials etc. because it doesn't mean crap if you can't apply it to this situation to explain how it is stressed. If you want to refute it us my explanation to explain how I am wrong.
Let me ask how many FI cars have you owned and modified? Another question is if you modify your M3 what makes it different that you think it won't also be stressed?
You just don't get it, do you?

You are wrong, and apparently no amount of intelligent informed dialogue will convince you otherwise. He did explain how you were wrong, but you just don't get it.

Go ahead. Continue to dig that hole deeper and deeper.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #72
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Quote:
1. Supercharger is under same load no matter if tune or no tune because pulley is not changed hence supercharger is not spinning faster.
2. Supercharger is driven by a belt so when you have the car at 7200rpm the charger is spinning at AAAA RPM so a tune will change nothing when the car is going at 7200rpm.
3. The stock setup basically has the pressure at 12psi of boost at 5000rpm and then the valve vents the rest of the boost 5000rpm onwards but the supercharger is still producing 21psi of boost.
4. Tune basically redirects the boost towards the engine rather than bleeding it off so the supercharger is still providing 21psi but the engine is using the full boost.
6. Engine internals are minimally stressed even if it is at all since at 5000rpm the engine was getting 21psi of boost anyways just now the tune is providing this all the way to 7200rpm so the tune does not exceed the stock boost levels just provides it a tad longer.
So explain to me how the engine internals are affected. Oh thermally the intercoolers on the S4 can handle the tune because Vag-com indicates no significant increase in temps.
Still don't see too much problems yet same for 335i owners who have been running their turbo cars and they don't have too many blown engines yet though their as been a few but their turbo setup is different.
Like I said I have a modded 2000 A4 from 155hp and 155torque and it is now producing 225hp and 255 torque and it is 10years and no problem.

You can say what you like but rather than give me book application education crap please apply it to this setup for the explanation and stop telling others of your credentials etc. because it doesn't mean crap if you can't apply it to this situation to explain how it is stressed. If you want to refute it us my explanation to explain how I am wrong.
Let me ask how many FI cars have you owned and modified? Another question is if you modify your M3 what makes it different that you think it won't also be stressed?
Hahahaha... yeah I'm dense. I showed this thread to a couple of my dense engineer friends today... none of us know a damn thing about mechanical topics... we all got a good laugh. Do you work for a tuner or something? Here's what I think... You should tach out your brand new chipped S4 at EVERY opportunity... see how long it holds up!

For what it's worth, I don't plan on modding my M3... It's plenty fast right out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
You just don't get it, do you?

You are wrong, and apparently no amount of intelligent informed dialogue will convince you otherwise. He did explain how you were wrong, but you just don't get it.

Go ahead. Continue to dig that hole deeper and deeper.
I think you summed it up well... Some people just don't get it.
      10-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #73
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:

My background is not engineering but I can use some common sense to try and explain what the added stress is they are talking about...

Ok lets picture me on a stationary bike at the Gym... Now lets say I get the bike up to 40 KMPH with the tensioner set at zero... I can run this speed pretty long because there is no tension/resistance.

Now picture me maintaining this speed but increasing the tension ... To spin it at the same 40 KMPH I am now pulling a sweat because now I have tension that is causing resistance and I can not maintain it long(or load for the car).

I may be completely off but it does make sense... LOL

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #74
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
My background is not engineering but I can use some common sense to try and explain what the added stress is they are talking about...

Ok lets picture me on a stationary bike at the Gym... Now lets say I get the bike up to 40 KMPH with the tensioner set at zero... I can run this speed pretty long because there is no tension/resistance.

Now picture me maintaining this speed but increasing the tension ... To spin it at the same 40 KMPH I am now pulling a sweat because now I have tension that is causing resistance and I can not maintain it long(or load for the car).

I may be completely off but it does make sense... LOL
Here's another analogy. Blow through a thin straw with a small hole in the side. Without changing how hard you blow, cover the end of the straw so that all the air is venting out the small hole. You should notice that it's slightly harder to blow out that small hole. Similar thing going on with the supercharger. The load is not all from the drive side. Providing more boost for the engine creates extra heat and stress on the mechanical parts of the supercharger. There is no free lunch.
      10-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #75
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

We should start a thread on if whether blondes, redheads or brunettes are better. It's just as hard to draw a conclusion, and we'd still have the senseless debate, but at least we would get a few nice pics out of such a thread. This thread is useless, except as comic relief.

p.s.: there's a bizzare debate in the thread that tunes don't stress engines?! If you believe the Audi engineers left [50] hp on the table with no side effects...
      10-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #76
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching View Post
We should start a thread on if whether blondes, redheads or brunettes are better. It's just as hard to draw a conclusion, and we'd still have the senseless debate, but at least we would get a few nice pics out of such a thread. This thread is useless, except as comic relief.

p.s.: there's a bizzare debate in the thread that tunes don't stress engines?! If you believe the Audi engineers left [50] hp on the table with no side effects...
Actually they do...

Proof is the C63 detuned engine.

Don't forget that Audi has a NA RS5. Do you think they would want their S4 to outperform their RS5?

I have friends with over 100,000 kms on their tuned 335's with no ill effects other than the dreaded HPFP failure.

Yes I can agree there is more stress with more boost but they are made to take a lot more than what they are putting out.

Whats funny (I do track) is that so many M3 owners don't ever track their cars or don't on a regular basis so to say the S4 or a 335 is not a comparison on spirited street driving is just being a fanboy.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #77
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

These S4 owners won't leave our forum, will they?

Must be very boring on the lesser brand forums for them

M3 is the top dog in its class, as it's proved by countless comparo tests

Don't sweat it , lesser brands fanboys
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #78
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post

Tard of the day.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #79
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3MC, 2019 Audi TT RS

Quote:

This would be why BMW owners get a bad wrap....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #80
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Ummmm can you read?? I own the S4 AND the E92 M3. Stop being such a fanboy and come up with better remarks please.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 04:05 AM   #81
switchface
Rep
Drives: '01.5 Audi S4

Sheesh, some of you guys are something else.

I currently own an Audi b5 s4 with over 120k miles. Its been stage 2 since 70k and I've had no issues with my tune. I love the car, but would consider any good car by any make that ticks the right buttons as its replacement.

Both the m3 and s4 are great cars with different benefits and drawbacks. Many people are cross shopping the two (like myself) in addition to other cars, which might not directly compare (I'm also looking at a Cayman S).

The reason some Audi owners are over here is because we are enthusiasts that are interested in cars in general. I'm on many forums: Audizine, 6speed, Planet-9, mbworld, and I joined here because I am considering an e92 m3.

I won't speak for all Audi owners, but the reason there is interest in a tuned b8 vs m3 race/thread is because the m3 is a proven benchmark in many performance aspects and the b8 platform is showing a lot of potential. Does a tuned s4 beating a m3 in a drag race mean the s4 is king and the m3 sucks? Of course not. But its safe to say we're all excited and curious to find out how things stack up!

Trolling is when you start a thread to show off your new ride/mod and I come in and say, "thats ugly, BMWs suck, (insert car here) rules!" You are not trolling when you are in the designated M3 vs... category, discussing how one car matches up to another. There are virtues to be had for both cars, in each individual's mind, better is subjective. Not everyone is taking their car to the track (where I'd reach for the m3's keys).

You hate to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch, but its the elitist fanboy view some of you guys have that, sadly makes me want to steer clear of a great car. A healthy community is important to enthusiasts. Another b5 s4 owner once saw me with a flat tire, pulled over, and gave me (a complete stranger) his full size spare with no strings attached so i could get home! We are good friends still to this day.

There are a lot of smart, good-hearted enthusiasts on this forum...its a shame they get grouped in and lost by the stereotype some of you create.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #82
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

s4 does not compare with the M3 and whats shocking about the audi is the skyhigh price
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #83
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Oh well. Not much we can do about the juvenile fanboys.

I've been on the Audi boards and a couple of M3 boards for about 5 years. The Audi boards are typically more civil and I find the Audi folks seem to have a much better sense of humor.

I'm still on the M3 boards because that's what I'm driving, but the fanboys are really annoying. What's even more annoying is that most of them don't even drive an M3. Then there are the dorks that do drive M3s but think they're some sort of status symbol. If you equate your self worth to what you drive, you may be a candidate for therapy.

I never try to convince others that my car is better. I always strive to emulate my hero.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #84
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
s4 does not compare with the M3 and whats shocking about the audi is the skyhigh price
A new S4 is $15k less than a new M3, both cars "loaded"?
      10-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #85
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
fully loaded S4 clocks in at around 64k on audiusa.com's site. A fully optioned E90 is around 73k.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #86
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
That is inaccurate.

A $60k optioned S4 would cost $73,635 for a similiar optioned M3. That is a $13K difference. Many options beyond a $60K S4 the M3 doesn't provide those options so you can't compare a fully optioned S4 to the $73k M3.
The key though is that the price difference in other countries is much larger.
there are some options the S4 has that the M3 doesn't have and vice versa. Let's call it a wash?

Point is, you don't have to load up either car but at that price range why go with the slower S4?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #87
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
That is inaccurate.

A $60k optioned S4 would cost $73,635 for a similiar optioned M3. That is a $13K difference. Many options beyond a $60K S4 the M3 doesn't provide those options so you can't compare a fully optioned S4 to the $73k M3.
The key though is that the price difference in other countries is much larger.
For me it was 61500 for S4 comparable to my M3 with 71000 MSRP (it is 09 though), and M3 has some minor things Audi does not have (that is besides all the major things, of course).

Anyway, I had a chance to run with some new tuned S4's at a track during an Audi Club even, and there is no comparison on the track. Despite being close to equal on straights, they could not hold on in corners as well, and seemed to get noticeably slower closer to the end of session (probably heatsoak or tire overheating). The difference was big enough for a noticeably more experienced driver to be slower in S4.

Having said that, I'd probably take S4 over M3, if I had another car for track. Well, in that case I'd actually take Audi Allroad over any of those, but Audi was "smart" enough to discontinue it.

Not sure if I really have a point here - probably what I'm trying to say, which car is better is very much defined by personal criteria and intended use. Abstract debates have no right answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #88
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

S4 is a great car but totally different to the M3 - they are not competitors here in Germany at all, price or performance wise.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0