BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

10-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Carbotech XP8/10 vs PFC 08

Hi guys, narrowed down my search for track pads to these 2-3 pads.

Looking for a set of dedicated track pads (will be switching to OEM/ST) for street use. I will be doing around 6-7 DE's per year.

Looking for longevity and easy on the rotors, but still has excellent bite and good fade resistance. Trying to stay at or around 500 for both axles. I've ruled most hawks out due to most of what I have seen around here.

Please share your experiences with either the Carbotechs, or the Performance Frictions. Thank you!

PS: If you have another suggestion, I am open to it..but I think the general consensus of my searching narrows it to these options.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Hi guys, narrowed down my search for track pads to these 2-3 pads.

Looking for a set of dedicated track pads (will be switching to OEM/ST) for street use. I will be doing around 6-7 DE's per year.

Looking for longevity and easy on the rotors, but still has excellent bite and good fade resistance. Trying to stay at or around 500 for both axles. I've ruled most hawks out due to most of what I have seen around here.

Please share your experiences with either the Carbotechs, or the Performance Frictions. Thank you!

PS: If you have another suggestion, I am open to it..but I think the general consensus of my searching narrows it to these options.
Hi MoveOver, I do not have any experience with Carbotech but I do run PF08 or Pagid Yellows. IMO PF08s are just about right for our DE application. Bite is decent enough, you can modulate and it resists heat fairly well (no chunking etc.). They do squeal pretty much like all race pads; add dust to the mix. Lately I have been opting for PF08s vs Pagids given the price and noticed that they both wear fairly even (I am not pro so cannot tell the difference between the two except for my wallet). Easy on the rotors as well, however I have to chuck the rotors due to heat cracks vs wear.

You wont be disappointed. From what I have observed, 2 sets of fronts for every one set of rear pads (not linear but you will see at 2nd front set worn, rear is getting quite thin as well). So a set of 2 fronts, 1 rear should suffice for 7-8 days on the track (assuming your nos are days and not weekends). Double that if weekends.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Hi MoveOver, I do not have any experience with Carbotech but I do run PF08 or Pagid Yellows. IMO PF08s are just about right for our DE application. Bite is decent enough, you can modulate and it resists heat fairly well (no chunking etc.). They do squeal pretty much like all race pads; add dust to the mix. Lately I have been opting for PF08s vs Pagids given the price and noticed that they both wear fairly even (I am not pro so cannot tell the difference between the two except for my wallet). Easy on the rotors as well, however I have to chuck the rotors due to heat cracks vs wear.

You wont be disappointed. From what I have observed, 2 sets of fronts for every one set of rear pads (not linear but you will see at 2nd front set worn, rear is getting quite thin as well). So a set of 2 fronts, 1 rear should suffice for 7-8 days on the track (assuming your nos are days and not weekends). Double that if weekends.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Thank you! Planning to do 6-7 days per year, maybe 8 at the most.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
mrMTB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 i01 Rex

I haven't run them on my e92, but I ran XP10 front and XP8 rear on my Evo X, and they were excellent track day pads. They got up to heat quickly, and there was no hint of fade in a 20 minute session. Don't forget to take care of your brake fluid while you're at it. I'd change my brake fluid at least yearly, or after five events, with a bleed after each event. I was using Motul RBF600.
Gone: 01 e39 540iA
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMTB View Post
I haven't run them on my e92, but I ran XP10 front and XP8 rear on my Evo X, and they were excellent track day pads. They got up to heat quickly, and there was no hint of fade in a 20 minute session. Don't forget to take care of your brake fluid while you're at it. I'd change my brake fluid at least yearly, or after five events, with a bleed after each event. I was using Motul RBF600.
Yeah i am doing stainless lines as well, already got the RBF600 in there. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
My PFC08 pads lasted me 7 track days + about 20,000 miles this year, no problem. Rotors are done though, probably from me street driving them so much (Was too lazy to swap out). Pad still has at least 3-4 mm left too.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Not quite apples to apples but I've run carbotechs and pfc08 just on different cars. I tried the xp8, 10, 12, and 20 on my 350z. I really like the combo of 12 front and 10 rear for good braking power and fade resistance. None of the carbotechs lasted very long though. Now I'm running pfc08 on my e46 330. They bite maybe just slightly less than the carbotechs did on the z. I also haven't had issues with them fading. But after 6 days on track they look barely used. Upfront cost is slightly more but well worth it in my opinion. Of course this might all be completely different on the m3. I have only tracked mine a few times and always on stock pads.
      10-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

I will be purchasing the pfc08 tomorrow. Thank you guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:59 AM   #9
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

you bought the wrong fluid. castrol srf will take the heat much better.

i run xp12/10 usually and then switched to xp10/8 to see if i can get faster with less brakes. i did. time to go back to the 12/10. they are pretty darn good for the price and for me they've lasted pretty long - but I'm not a late braker, I'm smooth and easy on the brakes and try to keep the speed up on entry. prob why i end up drifting a lot lol.

I want to try pfc but i can't justify 400 for pads no matter what. just get faster as a driver....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
you bought the wrong fluid. castrol srf will take the heat much better.

i run xp12/10 usually and then switched to xp10/8 to see if i can get faster with less brakes. i did. time to go back to the 12/10. they are pretty darn good for the price and for me they've lasted pretty long - but I'm not a late braker, I'm smooth and easy on the brakes and try to keep the speed up on entry. prob why i end up drifting a lot lol.

I want to try pfc but i can't justify 400 for pads no matter what. just get faster as a driver....

Thanks for the advice on the fluid. I was told by a friend that the RBF was the way to go, but it looks like there are some better options. I am about to do another fluid flush to go with my stainless lines. I'll either go with the SRF, Endless, or PFC fluid. They all look pretty stout.

Do you think that the SRF is overkill? Can it be run on the street no problem?

So it looks to me like the XP8/10 are the same amount of money as the PFC8, maybe a few bucks cheaper at most. The 12's are more expensive by a few bucks. A set of 10/12's will run be just shy of 500. Regardless, you're spending over 400 on carbotech vs PFC, and according to the guys at bimmerworld (who sell both), the PFC's last a good bit longer than the Carbotechs. So, in turn you'll spend less money with the PFC's in the long run.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/carbote...nds-p1186.aspx Pricing reference.

Last edited by Move Over; 10-13-2015 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #11
DASm3
///
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Current: 991.1gts

Used pfc08's on stock setup, SS lines and rbf600 which I really liked but the rbf was limiting factor I felt. SRF is the way, higher wet boiling point is key. The 08's have great feel but they do make a ton of noise when driving on the street. Now running RS14'S on BBK which have been great thus far.

No experience with Carbotechs myself but a few of my corvette buddies run the xp10/12 setup and love them. From riding in the passenger seat, they seem to bite pretty hard and don't give up....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Thanks for the advice on the fluid. I was told by a friend that the RBF was the way to go, but it looks like there are some better options. I am about to do another fluid flush to go with my stainless lines. I'll either go with the SRF, Endless, or PFC fluid. They all look pretty stout.

Do you think that the SRF is overkill? Can it be run on the street no problem?

So it looks to me like the XP8/10 are the same amount of money as the PFC8, maybe a few bucks cheaper at most. The 12's are more expensive by a few bucks. A set of 10/12's will run be just shy of 500. Regardless, you're spending over 400 on carbotech vs PFC, and according to the guys at bimmerworld (who sell both), the PFC's last a good bit longer than the Carbotechs. So, in turn you'll spend less money with the PFC's in the long run.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/carbote...nds-p1186.aspx Pricing reference.
For some reason in my head the CT xp12 fronts only (rears always last about 2 fronts) in my head they are $250. I remember I looked up pfc 01 and immediately thinking hell no. LOL.

I think the PFC 08 are an enduro pad so it will last longer but are they a direct comparison to the XP12? I was always comparing with 01 or 11 or whatever it is now.

The carbotechs were actually pretty good on my rotors too. I finally need to swap my rotors and it's been 20 something track days.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
For some reason in my head the CT xp12 fronts only (rears always last about 2 fronts) in my head they are $250. I remember I looked up pfc 01 and immediately thinking hell no. LOL.

I think the PFC 08 are an enduro pad so it will last longer but are they a direct comparison to the XP12? I was always comparing with 01 or 11 or whatever it is now.

The carbotechs were actually pretty good on my rotors too. I finally need to swap my rotors and it's been 20 something track days.
I'm not sure. The carbotech' description all say the rating in vehicle weight. Very confusing lol .
Appreciate 0