BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Question about buying exhaust

Whats up gents!
I have a novice question and was wondering if anyone in the northeast coast could help. After entertaining the Idea of getting the M performance exhaust about a year back I have finally made the decision. I was getting some pizza for the wife the other day up in CT when I happen to notice an amazing looking Silverstone E92 parked out side. As I was coming out the owner got in turned it on and BAM! my ears melted off. THe sound of the exhaust note was a symphany. I asked the guy and it was an Akaprovic slip on. Unfortunatly I forgot to ask him where he got it and who installed it. Now my question is; If wanted to order it, where can I order it? And who would install it? Does anyone have experience with any vendors in the north east? For a slip on would I need to get an ECU remapping to avoid CEL's? Again sorry for the noobish question but Iam not to automotive savy and usually have taken my cars to dealers to have work done.
Thanks
Joe
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Many vendors on this forum offer the Akra products - you could look in the sponsors marketplace section. You could also ask in the regional forum to see if anyone local to you can recommend a place to buy & install. Depending on how far you are from MA, you could go to Turner Motorsports to buy and have it installed.

The install is very easy but you would need some ramps at least. I'm sure the dealer would install it as well but they are likely to overcharge you on labor (I for one, would never get any aftermarket parts installed at a dealer). As for a tune or CEL's, no need to worry as it's just a muffler that you'd be installing and it won't affect any of the emissions equipment on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Many vendors on this forum offer the Akra products - you could look in the sponsors marketplace section. You could also ask in the regional forum to see if anyone local to you can recommend a place to buy & install. Depending on how far you are from MA, you could go to Turner Motorsports to buy and have it installed.

The install is very easy but you would need some ramps at least. I'm sure the dealer would install it as well but they are likely to overcharge you on labor (I for one, would never get any aftermarket parts installed at a dealer). As for a tune or CEL's, no need to worry as it's just a muffler that you'd be installing and it won't affect any of the emissions equipment on the car.
Thanks for the reply. Im actually not to far from mass. I will give turner motorsports a call tommorow morning. I wont mind taking a drive out there.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Man, if your ears melted off at the sound of an Akra, your penis would probably swell till it exploded if you heard some other exhausts. The Akra is nothing to get excited over IMO.

You won't get a CEL with a rear section/slip on only.
      10-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
Whats up gents!
I have a novice question and was wondering if anyone in the northeast coast could help. After entertaining the Idea of getting the M performance exhaust about a year back I have finally made the decision. I was getting some pizza for the wife the other day up in CT when I happen to notice an amazing looking Silverstone E92 parked out side. As I was coming out the owner got in turned it on and BAM! my ears melted off. THe sound of the exhaust note was a symphany. I asked the guy and it was an Akaprovic slip on. Unfortunatly I forgot to ask him where he got it and who installed it. Now my question is; If wanted to order it, where can I order it? And who would install it? Does anyone have experience with any vendors in the north east? For a slip on would I need to get an ECU remapping to avoid CEL's? Again sorry for the noobish question but Iam not to automotive savy and usually have taken my cars to dealers to have work done.
Thanks
Joe
I too have the exhaust itch. How ironic we bought at the same time and got this feeling at the same point. Great minds... I'm gonna scratch my itch at the end of the month but I'm going Eisenmann Race I think. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Man, if your ears melted off at the sound of an Akra, your penis would probably swell till it exploded if you heard some other exhausts. The Akra is nothing to get excited over IMO.

You won't get a CEL with a rear section/slip on only.

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I'm in love with Meisterschaft personally. If I wasn't cheap that's what I would buy. I would check out the GT and GT2 as they have a great sound and I believe a dealer is doing a nice group buy on them.

If you're just looking for a nice rumble and don't want to spend a lot you can always look into doing the OEM exhaust mod. You're not going to pick up any power from a rear section alone. I wouldn't suggest this if you're going to delete cats tho.. not a fan of that sound and the reason I'm switching to Remus cans. Well that and cause I'm cheap lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I would go with Eisenmann race.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Tune required if you have a catless x-pipe, meaning the cats are removed from you x-pipe (mid-pipe same thing). You can also have high-flow cats which would require a tune and have less smell than a catless one.

No tune required if you are just changing the axle-back portion of the exhaust but then keep in mind that no power will be made and only sound.

As a couple of people have said, Eisenmann Race is the way to go. Akra would only be worth it in my opinion if you get the full evolution system (used 5 grand, new about 6.5 grand).

I'd stay away from hyped system such as the iPE etc but if you really have money to burn then nothing can beat the Kreisseg system or the Akra slip-on with GT4 x-pipe (easily 8 grand).

If you want a great sounding system that makes around 40 horses then go for one of the following; eisenmann sport + challenge race x-pipe (catless), gintani sport + gintani catless x-pipe and finally my favourite RPi GTM full system (makes most power with a tune).

Also, don't forget that resonators are your best friend unless you just want to be stupidly loud. They help define the pitch and tone of an exhaust + help to eliminate any drone. If you want NO drone then performance exhaust (alone with no catless x-pipe) or Akra EVO are your best bet.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Meisterchaft gt/gt2 sound the best IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
brendavilleg
Rep
Drives: bmw

your penis would probably swell till it exploded if you heard some other exhausts
      10-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendavilleg View Post
your penis would probably swell till it exploded if you heard some other exhausts
what the hell man
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Full akra evo sounds incredible. I've had the slip on for about 8 months and finally added the x-pipe 2 weeks ago. More power, more exotic sound, solid build and absolutely no drone. I liked the sound before but now I love it! I like the sounds of a couple other exhausts as well as mentioned above, however they are too loud for my taste. I like that I can roll up my windows and escape the noise. Great choice OP.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #14
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Akra Evo sounds amazing and has no drone. I love it.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
what the hell man
F-ing spammers, or a bot. It's been popping up a lot on here lately.

Edit: Unrelated to the OP's question...
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the input guys. So I got the Akra slip on for now. I will eventually go full evo with tune but will wait a while til my warranty is closer to being up. I did a few searches and read some post about stealerships going nuts with not wanting to cover warranty related issues. Lets just say I havnt had the best of luck with cars in the past 20+ years of driving. The Eisenmann race is also an amazing sounding exhaust. Only one ive heard in person besides the Akra slip on. Unfortunately the few M3's Ive seen in my part of town are stock so I havnt been able to hear different exhaust in person and from what I have realized, youtube never does any justice in the acoustics department.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. So I got the Akra slip on for now. I will eventually go full evo with tune but will wait a while til my warranty is closer to being up. I did a few searches and read some post about stealerships going nuts with not wanting to cover warranty related issues. Lets just say I havnt had the best of luck with cars in the past 20+ years of driving. The Eisenmann race is also an amazing sounding exhaust. Only one ive heard in person besides the Akra slip on. Unfortunately the few M3's Ive seen in my part of town are stock so I havnt been able to hear different exhaust in person and from what I have realized, youtube never does any justice in the acoustics department.
Congrats. We both did good. Warranty was my concern as well.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0