BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #45
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
Here it comes, "I don't know what I am talking about card" Yes I am aware that a Dynojet yields the highest result and that the Dyno Dynamics is the "Heart Break" dyno. However a Mustang dyno yields higher results then the Dyno Dynamics but still not as high as the Dynojet. Also wouldn't have been appropriate for someone who claims to "know what he is talking about" to mention what type of Dyno he used and what the results were then just all of a sudden making the claim?
Ya well u didn't ask maybe you should have asked that before barking out your opinion that "there's NO way " I would make those numbers.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #46
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
In my opinion it doesn't matter what disadvantage there is. You HAVE to get up into the powerband. Even if its only for 2000rpm. Because from that point forward you will redline that gear & always be in the powerband for the following gears.

Here are 2 more videos to illustrate my point. Both runs are 50km/h to 260km/h & it says so in the banner at the start. A modded 335 against a Porsche 997 GT3-RS & the same 335 against a stock M3. 2nd gear roll-on. The Porsche with a significant power advantage & a big weight advantage gets a beating. It loses so much ground at the start, that it can't even come back on the top end. And this is a car that does a true top speed well in excess of 300km/h straight out the factory. In fact the M3 looks like it does better on the top end than the Porsche, but that could just be circumstances on those races.

The point these videos prove is that rolling with highly tuned NA cars out of powerband is a pointless exercise & doesn't prove anything. Races should be from a dig, or a roll in 1st gear. One has to give both cars a fair chance to get into the respective powerbands & 1st gear rolling tends to even out gearing & powerband differences between most vehicles.

I agree 100%. My only point was that even starting in 1st gear, 30 mph is not a great starting point for the M3 for the reasons I stated.
      10-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #47
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Also based on what I did happen to see, I reckon the 335i got the jump on both other cars,
Having owned a pretty modded 335, I can tell you rolling at 50km/h it will always appear like you are jumping the other guy, whether you brake torque or not. Heck even if the other guy jumps you, you will boost & fly right by him in a flash. Can't roll with a big torque monster like that in the mid.

JB3, has basically piggyback, exhaust + downpipes, intakes, intercooler + meth injection. That's what I think I saw in the caption at the start, I could be wrong tho.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #48
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I agree 100%. My only point was that even starting in 1st gear, 30 mph is not a great starting point for the M3 for the reasons I stated.
True dat, I suppose one has to choose between the lesser of 2 evils. But look at the start of the race between the M3 & 335. I looks like the M3 isn't even racing. Same with the Porsche. It's a massacre of biblical proportions & I can only imagine what the M3/Porsche drivers felt like. Totally helpless & like their engines were broken. I rate it's better to have a fighting chance at the start by buzzing the engine in 1st gear. But that's just my approach & it works for me against modded 335's at 5500ft elevation.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #49
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

LMAO, I love when car owners get butt hurt b/c a car turns out to be faster than their own.

IE M3 owners upset a 335 or S4 is faster or M3 owners upset b/c the C63 is faster in a straight line.

It's just a car, and its just a BMW no need to get your feelings hurt guys. I can make a go-cart faster than any M3/C63/S4 but the point is I'd still be driving a go cart
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #50
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
LMAO, I love when car owners get butt hurt b/c a car turns out to be faster than their own.
That's just the thing. It is not a representative test. I had a 335, & I see you have 1. Do you honestly believe a 335 is faster than a Porsche 997 GT3-RS? A buddy of mine has one & I can tell you it's a monster. If you drive it properly it accelerates like a bat out of hell. Has 415hp, the infamous porsche traction, weighs very little (like 3000lbs), revs to like 8500 with a viscious kick up top, does 195mph top end. I think it's rated for 0-60 in 4.1 out the box.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #51
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
That's just the thing. It is not a representative test. I had a 335, & I see you have 1. Do you honestly believe a 335 is faster than a Porsche 997 GT3-RS? A buddy of mine has one & I can tell you it's a monster. If you drive it properly it accelerates like a bat out of hell. Has 415hp, the infamous porsche traction, weighs very little (like 3000lbs), revs to like 8500 with a viscious kick up top, does 195mph top end. I think it's rated for 0-60 in 4.1 out the box.
I could care less if my 335 is faster than a 997 or any other car. The P car is a completely different car should not be compared to the 3 series!! I bought my car bc it was priced right, and is extremely versatile (AWD). I could never drive another RWD car in the Northeast winters. I am single, and live by myself so I only need 1 car in 1 parking spot. Id love to have an M3 or a 997 but its not practical financially, not to mention having just one of those cars isn't practical living in the Northeast (you need a winter beater). Having an M3 for me would mean having a second car for work/winters and only driving the M3 on the nice days and weekends.

Additionally, I can never quite get the most out of my 335 in the US (w/ all the police etc). Most of these cars were meant to be driven (in Europe) and unless you track, you can't truly even take 70% advantage of these cars potential.

I am a car enthusiast but there were more important things that caused me to shy from the Cockster S or an M3 and unfortunately the extra $$ for insurance, a second car and parking spot not to mention gas, inability to drive in snow etc made many cars impractical for me . Now if I lived in Florida or California, I'd have just bought an M3 or Cockster and never had to worry about poor weather or having a beater car. I'm not a fan of the GT-R but b/c of the AWD it would still be a better choice compared to other sports cars. Just not a fan of the looks and its markup not to mention Nissan Dealerships for service

If only the M3 came w/ AWD
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #52
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I could care less if my 335 is faster than a 997 or any other car. The P car is a completely different car should not be compared to the 3 series!! I bought my car bc it was priced right, and is extremely versatile (AWD). I could never drive another RWD car in the Northeast winters. I am single, and live by myself so I only need 1 car in 1 parking spot. Id love to have an M3 or a 997 but its not practical financially, not to mention having just one of those cars isn't practical living in the Northeast (you need a winter beater). Having an M3 for me would mean having a second car for work/winters and only driving the M3 on the nice days and weekends.

Additionally, I can never quite get the most out of my 335 in the US (w/ all the police etc). Most of these cars were meant to be driven (in Europe) and unless you track, you can't truly even take 70% advantage of these cars potential.

I am a car enthusiast but there were more important things that caused me to shy from the Cockster S or an M3 and unfortunately the extra $$ for insurance, a second car and parking spot not to mention gas, inability to drive in snow etc made many cars impractical for me . Now if I lived in Florida or California, I'd have just bought an M3 or Cockster and never had to worry about poor weather or having a beater car. I'm not a fan of the GT-R but b/c of the AWD it would still be a better choice compared to other sports cars. Just not a fan of the looks and its markup not to mention Nissan Dealerships for service

Waitaminute. What just happened here. I was asking if you think the 335 is faster than the porsche. I feel like I've just been robbed of 2 minutes of my life!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #53
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:

um...i live in cold ass canada and have zero problem with the m3. unless you like to race with other AWD cars in snow, then that's a different story. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #54
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

Um nooo. thats what they have 335's for, stick to that kthxbai
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #55
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Eurocharged C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Ya well u didn't ask maybe you should have asked that before barking out your opinion that "there's NO way " I would make those numbers.
Now if that isn't the best example of "The pot calling the kettle black" on this forum I be truly shocked!
Appreciate 0