BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

12-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

u.s. national debt: what's the end game?

nominally, we're rounding $16 trillion, and running a $1 trillion (maybe more) deficit every year. i've actually read estimates that the true national debt is closer to $75 trillion if we include future social security liabilities.

even if we run a surplus of $1 trillion/year (sounds impossible if you ask me), that still means it'll take almost a century to pay this debt off.

so... what's gonna happen? the debt can't increase forever. it seems impossible to pay off.

one possible scenario: like eu bailouts, perhaps our creditors will require a framework soon (i.e. setting our budget/laws). a shrinking defense would be obvious... no more global cop. or, an outright revolution? it happened to the soviets.

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 12-18-2012 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

The end game? Its planned bankruptcy.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

As long as the growth rate of deficit is less than the GDP growth rate, we're completely fine. In fact, the debt isn't actually growing in real terms.

If you want to have a real discussion about how large/unsustainable government spending is, you don't want to use periods of economic abnormality, such as the last few years (just as you wouldn't want to go back to the Clinton years, and say that the government was a model of sustainability, because the dot-com bubble led to a massive surge in tax revenue). You have to cyclically adjust the deficit to have a real starting point, and if you do that now, then everything now is basically fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

The government should tax M3 owners more than 335 and 328. And M6 owners should be taxed more than all the above. They probably make more money. Thing is, hence the above theory, if you own an M6 and you live on crackers and tea and barely make the rent so you can afford the car, you are in trouble. Then they will raise the tax on gas guzzlers and M owners would probably get pissed. IND then will come up with aftermarket gas guzzler but they will fail to meet demand as they can't afford paying the guy in the jumpsuit. That guy will probably have to sue the government to brake the vicious circle and probably IND will end up selling crack to keep the profit from falling into a deep spiral. IND... Sell crack.
      12-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-77 View Post
The government should tax M3 owners more than 335 and 328. And M6 owners should be taxed more than all the above. They probably make more money. Thing is, hence the above theory, if you own an M6 and you live on crackers and tea and barely make the rent so you can afford the car, you are in trouble. Then they will raise the tax on gas guzzlers and M owners would probably get pissed. IND then will come up with aftermarket gas guzzler but they will fail to meet demand as they can't afford paying the guy in the jumpsuit. That guy will probably have to sue the government to brake the vicious circle and probably IND will end up selling crack to keep the profit from falling into a deep spiral. IND... Sell crack.
lol wut
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Rookie83
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 6mt cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-77 View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloziROTHTOR
nominally, we're rounding $16 trillion, and running a $1 trillion (maybe more) deficit every year. i've actually read estimates that the true national debt is closer to $75 trillion if we include future social security liabilities.

even if we run a surplus of $1 trillion/year (sounds impossible if you ask me), that still means it'll take almost a century to pay this debt off.

so... what's gonna happen? the debt can't increase forever. it seems impossible to pay off.

one possible scenario: like eu bailouts, perhaps our creditors will require a framework soon (i.e. setting our budget/laws). a shrinking defense would be obvious... no more global cop. or, an outright revolution? it happened to the soviets.
Think about it

If someone had a lot of credit debt, the solution is:

Stop spending...
      12-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Jebus335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

That's the beauty of a fiat based currency, there is no end...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus335 View Post
That's the beauty of a fiat based currency, there is no end...
might run out of paper

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

tax chinese imports 1% import tax
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Full invasion of all middle east, until we literally own everything. Start exporting oil to the rest of the world, take russia next and so forth. cuz 'MERICA!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

WWIII with your creditor (China). The quickest way to clear your debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloziROTHTOR View Post