BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #67
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought the megan drones with test pipes. I'm not sure what the next step up is in price, but the $1800 dinan rear section is cheaper than most of the big names and definitely doesn't drone.
To be honest, you'll have to ask actual owners. I bought my used Eisenmann Race for $1900. There are some good options around
Doesnt drone. There is drone at 2k rpm but once its passed 2k, none.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #68
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

Having said that, I can't wait till you get your x-pipes so that we can do a few comparos!
You and me both bro... Looking forward to this day very much. I'll post the weights as well for OEM, OEM w/TP's, and MRF for everyone to see.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #69
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
More like 50lbs (23kg) total for Evo and and even a few less for GT4. I like the sound produced with SS over a full Ti system and i'm happy with its weight reduction as well as the price I may end up with a Ti rear to link up with my SS321 (SS+Ti) mid-pipe later down the road when prices drop or a good deal comes my way.

Did you get color match reflectors for your car yet? Would make a huge difference.
Ya I'm with you on that front, gotta wait for a good deal on maybe some eisenmanns, a dinan or an acro. They all have a deeper/richer tone, slightly louder, without sounding too muscle car, which is what I'm looking for Everything M is so expensive compared to what you can do with Asian tuner cars, makes me sad. But I'd still take an ///M over any of its competitors

No I'm not bothering with the reflectors, they don't bother me at all. My car's yellow & they kinda blend in. I see why people do it though. Would be annoying with any other colour, especially blue/black/white.

W ///. Yeah I agree, the stock muffler is way heavy, even dinan's rear shaves 20lbs and there are lighter ones out there.
I'm not 100% on Gintani's but I think its 25ish.
Eisen is basically just as heavy as stock, but sounds BA.
Acro slip on saves 14kg
acro evo (full exhaust) saves 24kg. also claims +22/+25 which is basically all you'll get with any full system I think.

So in my opinion you'd be better off just getting a rear, like you said. Middle is only 10kg, and you're not gonna notice even 24 probably. Much MUCH cheaper to just do test pipes +rear for about +20&22. I plan on using the money saved for suspension & brakes.
      08-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #70
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You and me both bro... Looking forward to this day very much. I'll post the weights as well for OEM, OEM w/TP's, and MRF for everyone to see.
That would be awesome! Looking forward to your review.

Stock rear=60lbs/27kg
stock middle=40lbs/19kg

These should be legit #s, but would be good to corroborate. I have no idea what OEMw/TP would be, very interested in this.
      08-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #71
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
Ya I'm with you on that front, gotta wait for a good deal on maybe some eisenmanns, a dinan or an acro.
On a side note a member here is selling his eisenmann race with connecting pipes and black tips for 2k FYI.

Also, you can quote multiple people by hitting the (") button on the posts you want to quote then hit the actual Quote button you usually hit.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #72
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Its not all about peak HP. Some x-pipes are designed much better than others and provide mid-range HP & TQ bumps where the S65 needs it the most. I currently run TP's with Megan (& BPM SII) and love it. I'm looking for more power and volume so i'm volunteering to be the guinea pig to try the MRF pipe out. I'll post before and after dyno runs as well as honest behind the wheel impressions after I get mine.

If you just looking for a cheaper set up that delivers great sound and a noticeable power bump you can not go wrong with the TP + Megan combo. Its quiet when your cruising gingerly but a V8 rumble monster when you get on it. There is a particular "horn" sound that resonate at about 3800-4k rpm that I absolutely LOVE.

If you wait a couple months to make your decision you can buy my current set up off me.
agreed! that's what I like about test pipes &/or challenge's xpipe, it boosts some low end torque which s65 is seriously lacking.

That's the time frame I was thinking actually, so uou sir, would have a very interested buyer on your hands!
      08-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #73
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
On a side note a member here is selling his eisenmann race with connecting pipes and black tips for 2k FYI.

Also, you can quote multiple people by hitting the (") button on the posts you want to quote then hit the actual Quote button you usually hit.
I saw that one! very compelling but I'd like the sport.

thanks for the tip, I wasn't hitting the actual quote button after, explains why it wasn't working. *facepalm*
      08-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #74
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I saw that one! very compelling but I'd like the sport.

thanks for the tip, I wasn't hitting the actual quote button after, explains why it wasn't working. *facepalm*
Forget the Sport, go Race or go home. I almost went with Sport, glad I didn't
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #75
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
agreed! that's what I like about test pipes &/or challenge's xpipe, it boosts some low end torque which s65 is seriously lacking.

That's the time frame I was thinking actually, so uou sir, would have a very interested buyer on your hands!
If all goes well I should be receiving it in early October. I'll keep you posted around that time. I'm praying my ceramic coated Megan (rear and connecting pipes coated in Jet-Hot 1300 Satin Black) sounds great but if it doesn't I'd want it to go to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #76
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Forget the Sport, go Race or go home. I almost went with Sport, glad I didn't
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #77
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If all goes well I should be receiving it in early October. I'll keep you posted around that time. I'm praying my ceramic coated Megan (rear and connecting pipes coated in Jet-Hot 1300 Satin Black) sounds great but if it doesn't I'd want it to go to a good home.
That's right around when I'd have the cash to do it too. That sounds like a great exhaust, and I'd be all over it! I put more money into my car than I do for myself, so it's a good home to be sure :P
      08-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #78
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
nononooo, don't get test pipes with the stock rear. It's going to sound like a bumble bee's nest!
First time I'm hearing this? Most people report either no difference or mild increase in sound.

Now that I saw the clip you are using as the basis of your argument, you are way off. The clip shows a stock rear with a completely naked x-pipe, no wonder it sounds like crap.

Last edited by Koldun; 08-25-2013 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #79
UroGator
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 MR E92 M3 6MT

Can anyone comment on the exhaust note with test pipes + stock exhaust sounds?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #80
f32458
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

This is a nice thread, helps me understand more on our exhaust games. I had iPE F1 catless setup on my E90. It was OMG loud and sounded like a beast. It had bad smell. Unfortunately, I lost torque. I had iPE did a custom job on my x pipe and they said now I have 200 cell cats. The torque improved and the smell stopped. But I am not sure if I have the best design X pipe in E9x M3. What is my X pipe really?
I am thinking to get TP's and a stage 2 tune. Along with my iPE axle back. But I just remember why spend extra money since I have the iPE X pipe sitting there. So probably no TP for me. What do you guys think? Since most of the sound is coming from axle back and the least performance gain from rear axle back, I will install my new iPE axle back since the sound is very good imo. For sure it weights a bit more than Akra but the valve control is a very fine piece.

08-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #81
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

And personal favorite, Macht Schnell Bypass Track Pipes
Everyone who works for EAS always lists Macht Schnell anything as their "favorite" whatever. I wonder why?

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #82
TX_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 M3

good read, subscribed
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #83
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Everyone who works for EAS always lists Macht Schnell anything as their "favorite" whatever. I wonder why?

Because EAS owns Macht Schnell. They are one in the same.

Kind of like Ace Ventura 1 with Einhorn and Finkle

EAS is Macht Schnell... Macht Schnell is EAS... EAS is Macht Schnell... OMG EAS is misleading!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #84
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Yes, I am well-aware, hence the amused/sarcastic emotes.

Whenever a thread pops up about test pipes or pulleys or air intakes or whatever, there will always be someone from EAS with a comment along the lines of "Our customers seem to prefer Macht Schnell!" or "I've tried them all, and Macht Schnell is by far the best!" Even here it was a clever way to name drop the brand in an otherwise very general discussion. Would the M Perf. exhaust sound different if the test pipes were instead from Turner or ACM? At least this instance didn't have the inevitable, "Drop me a PM and we'll hook you up with a set!"

Not that I am bad-mouthing their products, far from it! They are indeed top notch and I've bought an MS pulley for my car. I just don't think somewhat duplicitous sales agendas should muddy an otherwise very informative technical discussion.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #85
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
Can anyone comment on the exhaust note with test pipes + stock exhaust sounds?
personally I wanted more so I added an axle-back with it. mainly did the test pipes just for the gains.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #86
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Yes, I am well-aware, hence the amused/sarcastic emotes.

Whenever a thread pops up about test pipes or pulleys or air intakes or whatever, there will always be someone from EAS with a comment along the lines of "Our customers seem to prefer Macht Schnell!" or "I've tried them all, and Macht Schnell is by far the best!" Even here it was a clever way to name drop the brand in an otherwise very general discussion. Would the M Perf. exhaust sound different if the test pipes were instead from Turner or ACM? At least this instance didn't have the inevitable, "Drop me a PM and we'll hook you up with a set!"

Not that I am bad-mouthing their products, far from it! They are indeed top notch and I've bought an MS pulley for my car. I just don't think somewhat duplicitous sales agendas should muddy an otherwise very informative technical discussion.
Ya don't listen to anything EAS has to say about anything. Every single post by them is pushing MS. I disagree with their quality, maybe the pulley is different, but I almost made the mistake of buying a MS intake. Worst quality I've seen! Plastic was very thin and cheap, the edges were frayed and didnt fit together very well. Very glad some more experienced people warned me off. Glad you like the pulley, seems harder to mess up on a quality point, but I wouldn't consider any other products by them. Also don't appreciate being hard sold by a biased distributor, that just turns me right off (ie what other cheap tricks are they pulling?).
      08-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #87
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's right around when I'd have the cash to do it too. That sounds like a great exhaust, and I'd be all over it! I put more money into my car than I do for myself, so it's a good home to be sure :P
i have test pipes already installed on the megan - i can put up a vid today....i have an external mic for my gopro so even the stock exhaust sounds mean as hell.....any other vids to show the sound rather than just a track style video?

by the way, its not much, but it is annoying slightly.....its AKRA
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #88
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32458 View Post

looks like primary cats are gone.
Appreciate 0