BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

07-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #23
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Dang I hate seeing videos like this! I haven't been able to go to the track at all this season.

Glad to see you having fun bro! I do like to see the variety of cars out on the track as you're driving towards the start. I rarely see anything interesting out here. :/
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
demonshin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingi2ime View Post
damn it. That looks like a lot of fun. I want to do it too
It was a blast! You should just go and do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
Dang I hate seeing videos like this! I haven't been able to go to the track at all this season.

Glad to see you having fun bro! I do like to see the variety of cars out on the track as you're driving towards the start. I rarely see anything interesting out here. :/
Thanks! It was a lot of fun! You are all in the way out there in Korea?
      07-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Looks pretty crowded, but if this was follow the instrector I understand. Looks like you had a lot of fun!!!!

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #26
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Nice save! You didn't lift like a rookie would.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Looks like a good time. What DSC cajones did you run with? Full, MDM, Off?

If you get an instructor, you will get so much more speed and control you won't believe. Look into a BMWCCA event and they will hook you up and you will appreciate your M3 so much more after a few sessions. If you don't, you'll eventually end up "stuck" somehow, either in lap time or in a wall!

An angel gets it wings every time a track cherry gets popped!
      07-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #28
M3ManiacSenior
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E36 M3, E30 325is

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2012 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonshin View Post

Here is a video of one of my sessions and this is my first time tracking so don't flame on my track driving skills hahaha 17:17 is where the little slip happened originated from.
It's great that you enjoyed your first track day. I know exactly how you feel. Can't wait to get my car back from ED and start tracking it myself. My first track day in my new M3 was at the Ring, talk about exciting!

So I've watched you video a few times, great video by the way, to see what might have happened at 17:17. Do you know what happened. To me, and I'm a complete novice here, but it looks like you may have lifted during your turn-in which transferred the weight to the front end making the back end loose. You handled it pretty damn good as far as I can see.

Good luck and keep it up. Maybe I'll see you sometime on the track. Keep posting your videos too.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #29
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Looks like the oversteer was TTO (trailing throttle oversteer) from coming off the brakes and not getting on the power to plant the rear.

Never been to that track and can't hear the engine, but that's my iButt felt.
      07-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

your car looks really nice, and so do the pics!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #31
demonshin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Looks pretty crowded, but if this was follow the instrector I understand. Looks like you had a lot of fun!!!!
This was our last heat out of 5. The first 2 was follow the instructor and the last 3 had instructors on the track with us. Since this was "driving school" there were a lot of rules, one of them are, not to pass unless the driver infront of us signal us and we can only pass on certain parts of the track (the most straight sections) Thats why there were some congestion

It was loads of fun though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
hahaha there is a nice story to what happened...

Coming off a fast straight at like 130mph (pretty scary lol) I braked, down shift to 3rd, let off brakes, went to put my foot on gas but it slipped off as it was not 100% over the gas pedal, hit the brakes and at this point I was in mid turn which then caused me to lose traction and you know the rest...

When I started slipping I automatically went back on the gas to try and gain traction, shifting momentum back on the rear wheels...and got lucky! It happened so fast lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Looks like a good time. What DSC cajones did you run with? Full, MDM, Off?

If you get an instructor, you will get so much more speed and control you won't believe. Look into a BMWCCA event and they will hook you up and you will appreciate your M3 so much more after a few sessions. If you don't, you'll eventually end up "stuck" somehow, either in lap time or in a wall!

An angel gets it wings every time a track cherry gets popped!
I was running M mode.

Steering: Sport
Power: Sport Plus
DSC: Off
EDC: none (have coilovers)

My next event I am allowed to have a passenger and my friend is an instructor for this club so he is going to give me pointers cannot wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ManiacSenior View Post
It's great that you enjoyed your first track day. I know exactly how you feel. Can't wait to get my car back from ED and start tracking it myself. My first track day in my new M3 was at the Ring, talk about exciting!

So I've watched you video a few times, great video by the way, to see what might have happened at 17:17. Do you know what happened. To me, and I'm a complete novice here, but it looks like you may have lifted during your turn-in which transferred the weight to the front end making the back end loose. You handled it pretty damn good as far as I can see.

Good luck and keep it up. Maybe I'll see you sometime on the track. Keep posting your videos too.
Thanks! it was a lot of fun and cannot wait to go again 8/11/12

So this is what happened...

Coming off a fast straight at like 130mph (pretty scary lol) I braked, down shift to 3rd, let off brakes, went to put my foot on gas but it slipped off as it was not 100% over the gas pedal, hit the brakes and at this point I was in mid turn which then caused me to lose traction and you know the rest...

When I started slipping I automatically went back on the gas to try and gain traction, shifting momentum back on the rear wheels...and got lucky! It happened so fast lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Looks like the oversteer was TTO (trailing throttle oversteer) from coming off the brakes and not getting on the power to plant the rear.

Never been to that track and can't hear the engine, but that's my iButt felt.
hehehe you sorta got it...it was just driver error...my foot got nervous :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
your car looks really nice, and so do the pics!
Thanks! I hope to do more tracks and get more pictures to share!
      07-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #32
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I
Quote:
It was a blast! You should just go and do it!

Thanks! It was a lot of fun! You are all in the way out there in Korea?
bigjae1976 got me in the track scene here...the only track available isn't that great and it's 3-4 hours away but have to make do. :/
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #33
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:

hehehe you sorta got it...it was just driver error...my foot got nervous :P
Sometimes this happens during release of the clutch as well. Sounds like you couldn't bring up your rpms when it was time to let the clutch out.

Often at the beginning it's faster to just stay in one gear all around the track until you are proficient in heel toe. Your lap times might be a little lower, but your cornering speeds will be higher. Once you get the h/t down, you'll be faster all over the place. It's the proper way to progress. That's what the above poster was talking about saying that instruction is good to help you sort out your learning. You either plateau quickly or get a bunch of bad habits that could lead to something unfavorable. Not meaning to lecture, but trying to provide instruction you should have had at the event.

At any rate...glad you caught it.
      07-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #34
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Sounds like a great introduction! Be forewarned, it's addicting!

You might try to dial back the power setting to Sport or even Normal on the track. This will make the brake/throttle transitions a little less twitchy, especially for the novice.

Quote:

I was running M mode.

Steering: Sport
Power: Sport Plus
DSC: Off
EDC: none (have coilovers)

...and got lucky! It happened so fast lol
You might also consider running in MDM mode for awhile, seeing as you are just starting out. I run with DSC off and can honestly say that I am WAY faster with it off, however, that is after getting many track days under my belt and feeling comfortable at the edge. Having said that I will be driving a new track this weekend for the first time (Barber) and will start off with MDM for the first session.

You said it yourself, you got lucky! Sounds like you have good instincts, but hey its an expensive car, work up to it gradually.

Good luck, keep having fun!

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #35
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
hahaha there is a nice story to what happened...

Welcome to the tracking scene.

I was at Thunderhill for the first time on June 15th and similar thing happened to me at that corner. Twice!

3:25 and 3:37.

In my case, I think I was going in too fast and turning in too early.

BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #36
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
I

bigjae1976 got me in the track scene here...the only track available isn't that great and it's 3-4 hours away but have to make do. :/
You didn't mention you have to bring your own premium fuel.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #37
demonshin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I

damn 3-4 hours away..but that will make it even more eventful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Sometimes this happens during release of the clutch as well. Sounds like you couldn't bring up your rpms when it was time to let the clutch out.

Often at the beginning it's faster to just stay in one gear all around the track until you are proficient in heel toe. Your lap times might be a little lower, but your cornering speeds will be higher. Once you get the h/t down, you'll be faster all over the place. It's the proper way to progress. That's what the above poster was talking about saying that instruction is good to help you sort out your learning. You either plateau quickly or get a bunch of bad habits that could lead to something unfavorable. Not meaning to lecture, but trying to provide instruction you should have had at the event.

At any rate...glad you caught it.
Yeah, I was not trying to do anything fancy :P my plan was to just go around the track, learn the lines and just get use to the speed but you know how that goes. Couple times around the track and you want to go faster and faster hahaha

I was in 3rd and 4th most of the track but in that long straight away I went up to 5th at like 130+mph :P

I am going to take it one step at a time as there is a lot to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Sounds like a great introduction! Be forewarned, it's addicting!

You might try to dial back the power setting to Sport or even Normal on the track. This will make the brake/throttle transitions a little less twitchy, especially for the novice.

You might also consider running in MDM mode for awhile, seeing as you are just starting out. I run with DSC off and can honestly say that I am WAY faster with it off, however, that is after getting many track days under my belt and feeling comfortable at the edge. Having said that I will be driving a new track this weekend for the first time (Barber) and will start off with MDM for the first session.

You said it yourself, you got lucky! Sounds like you have good instincts, but hey its an expensive car, work up to it gradually.

Good luck, keep having fun!
I might dial the power back to normal but I want to leave DSC off. I do like DSC, it makes the car drive funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post

I was at Thunderhill for the first time on June 15th and similar thing happened to me at that corner. Twice!

Nice driving! you are hella pushing it! fighting to gain grip :P
      07-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #38
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:

Wow, you are flying through those corners! I'm not brave enough for the entry speeds you have there. haha I'd definitely crap with some of the moments you had there...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #39
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Quote:

Wow, you are flying through those corners! I'm not brave enough for the entry speeds you have there. haha I'd definitely crap with some of the moments you had there...
That's why I wear diapers on track
      07-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #40
scubasewj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Awesome dude. I just signed up for 8/24 thunderhill and your video has got me pumped.

Any issues with the car after the day on the track?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #41
demonshin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasewj View Post
Awesome dude. I just signed up for 8/24 thunderhill and your video has got me pumped.

Any issues with the car after the day on the track?
No issues with my car after the day of track. Hope you have a blast and share your videos/pictures with us!