BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

05-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

How do I get the dirt off without getting swirlmarks?

So I have a car thats been sitting for atleast 6 months and theres like a layer off dust on it, and after hosing it down with water its still on there.

I was afraid of starting to spunge it with soap and water before anything. So how do I start to wash it, preventing it from getting major swirlmarks due to the hard-to-remove layer of dust?

I know I should wash more frequently but not in town so i need to was it ASAP when im home, which is soon, so I'm prepaired.

Thanks for any inputs on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90

If you have a foam gun, use it to "loosen up" the layer. If not still use the following. The key is a good shampoo mixed properly in the 5 gallon bucket (two to three bucket method : one with shampoo, two with water) and a good wash mitt. To avoid swirls keep your mitt clean with each few passes. As long as your mitt stays clean (and you may have to dump out your shampoo for another bucket midway), you're good. Its kind of a pain to keep cleaning your mitt in the grit guard but you'll be able to get that layer off. There are detailers that keep the hose nearby and keep washing off the dirt from their mitt before putting it back in the bucket.
You can consider pre-spraying with bug and tar remover before the wash, but don't leave it on too long or let it dry. Good luck.
      05-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
sehrgut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprane View Post
If you have a foam gun, use it to "loosen up" the layer. If not still use the following. The key is a good shampoo mixed properly in the 5 gallon bucket (two to three bucket method : one with shampoo, two with water) and a good wash mitt. To avoid swirls keep your mitt clean with each few passes. As long as your mitt stays clean (and you may have to dump out your shampoo for another bucket midway), you're good. Its kind of a pain to keep cleaning your mitt in the grit guard but you'll be able to get that layer off. There are detailers that keep the hose nearby and keep washing off the dirt from their mitt before putting it back in the bucket.
You can consider pre-spraying with bug and tar remover before the wash, but don't leave it on too long or let it dry. Good luck.
Thanks alot for this information. Any shampoo mix that you would recomend thats extra good? Good advice of cleaning the mit before I put it down in the bucket.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There's a lot of good shampoos out there. You don't have to get too expensive. I still use Megs Gold Class (got from Walmart). I also like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss, Plain Citrus Wash. If you have a CarQuest in town, Duragloss 901 is great:
check out this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...-shampoos.html
      05-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

presoak with ONR at QD strength. rinse it off
come back with a bucket with dawn and degreaser and a mitt (washing in the shade, and rinsing after every panel, dont let the soap mix dry)
wash again with dawn and you should be good to go!

You might even be able to get away with a normal wash, and just polish it anyway! chances are you are going to have to clay it to remove the embedded debris, and after claying, polishing is a must IMO. seal it up and it will be as it was before you left it alone!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
sehrgut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprane View Post
There's a lot of good shampoos out there. You don't have to get too expensive. I still use Megs Gold Class (got from Walmart). I also like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss, Plain Citrus Wash. If you have a CarQuest in town, Duragloss 901 is great:
check out this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...-shampoos.html
Thanks. I'm gonna try out the Megs Gold Class, heard good things about that before but havn't tried it yet. I read thru that thread, duragloss 901 seems pretty legit, might check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
presoak with ONR at QD strength. rinse it off
come back with a bucket with dawn and degreaser and a mitt (washing in the shade, and rinsing after every panel, dont let the soap mix dry)
wash again with dawn and you should be good to go!

You might even be able to get away with a normal wash, and just polish it anyway! chances are you are going to have to clay it to remove the embedded debris, and after claying, polishing is a must IMO. seal it up and it will be as it was before you left it alone!
Sry I'm not to of an expert at this but you might tell me what ''ONR at QD strength'' is?

Yes I was thinking giving it;

- A good wash with a pressure washer using some foam. (maybe let it soak for a short time)
- Soap/water, mit
- Clay
- Wax/polish.

Hope that should do ET!!!! THANKS guys!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Go buy a grout sponge at Home Depot or Lowes and use that instead of the wash mitt.
      05-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
sehrgut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Go buy a grout sponge at Home Depot or Lowes and use that instead of the wash mitt.
Hm I've never tried that, though I use it to clean my wheels. What makes that better then a wash mitt? thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
Hm I've never tried that, though I use it to clean my wheels. What makes that better then a wash mitt? thanks
It's about as non-abrasive as you can get. The dirt gets trapped into the little holes and doesn't get dragged across the paint. You'll know how non-abrasive these sponges are if you try to wash a dirty car with them. Takes forever but doesn't leave scratches behind.
      05-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Mentally, imagine that your mitt is faced with sandpaper on the first pass over the car. Essentially, it is. In other words, a very, very light touch on the first pass, then flip/rinse/rewash with a little more pressure.
      05-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
Sry I'm not to of an expert at this but you might tell me what ''ONR at QD strength'' is?
ONR is a "special formula" that is just what it says No Rinse. You mix according to instructions and then wipe a panel at a time..dry a panel at a time. and thats it. No garden hose to wipe it off. But you have to follow the instructions. Do it wrong, and I think you may cause swirls. Personally, I have not used ONR but it gets rave reviews. Sooner or later I'm going to try it out. Their shampoo is also good.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/optim...ne1gallon.aspx

BTW, detailersdomain is great place to get stuff. Phil is very helpful.

Last edited by Suprane; 05-05-2010 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: wrong url
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
+1. I was getting some light marks even with a good mit and the two bucket method. The grout sponge has helped a lot.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

ONR is optimum no rinse. It comes concentrated and can be mixed to wash or as a quick detailer. The stuff is awesome. I mix some in a small amount with soap in my soap gun and also in my wash bucket. On top of increasing lubricity to prevent swirls it softens the water to prevent spots from hard water. I use a natural sea sponge, two bucket method and a waffle weave mf to dry and get very little marring over the course of a year. I doubt any of the marring is from washing. Check out http://www.autopia.org/ for more detailing information.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Even using 2-bucket method with grit guards I got swirls with mitts and a grout sponge. The ONLY thing I've ever used that gave me no swirls was something everyone told me would, my trusty Meguiar's brushes. Go figure. No, being a brush it won't get off anything that's really stuck but a duick QD when I'm done gets any of that stuff.

I think they're discontinued but if you can find them I HIGHLY recommed that brush.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Lax View Post
ONR is optimum no rinse. It comes concentrated and can be mixed to wash or as a quick detailer. The stuff is awesome. I mix some in a small amount with soap in my soap gun and also in my wash bucket. On top of increasing lubricity to prevent swirls it softens the water to prevent spots from hard water. I use a natural sea sponge, two bucket method and a waffle weave mf to dry and get very little marring over the course of a year. I doubt any of the marring is from washing. Check out http://www.autopia.org/ for more detailing information.
I just got a natural sea sponge and I love it. I had to pick some pieces of coral out of it and wash it really well before I started using it, but it's really nice to work with.
Appreciate 0