BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

EXXEL Distributions

05-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
m3peat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Question SoCal: Any local shops fix slightly bent wheels?

Apparently my two front wheels are slightly bent on the inside, one more than the other. Although I don't notice any handling problems, if the price is right, I would get them straightened if local and don't need to ship them.

They are OEM ZCP wheels.

I'm in the Southbay area for reference.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3peat View Post
Apparently my two front wheels are slightly bent on the inside, one more than the other. Although I don't notice any handling problems, if the price is right, I would get them straightened if local and don't need to ship them.

They are OEM ZCP wheels.

I'm in the Southbay area for reference.

Thanks!
Allow Wheel Repair
Bob - 949-892-8428

Bob is one of my favorite vendors and does great work, give him a call.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I wouldn't waste my time fixing bent wheels. It can be done but they will more easily bend again. Been there done that. I would get two new wheels. A number of sponsoring venders sell them (OEM) for around $500 ea.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Tru Wheel in North Hollywood was able to fix my 220M wheel while I waited. Kinda far but the shop has been around forever and has rave reviews on a lot of car forums.

Owner said my wheel was really bad, and if he couldn't fix it, he wouldn't charge me and I should buy a new wheel. He was able to get it straight and it was a little over $100 iirc.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I wouldn't waste my time fixing bent wheels. It can be done but they will more easily bend again. Been there done that. I would get two new wheels. A number of sponsoring venders sell them (OEM) for around $500 ea.
Not entirely true as when metal is massaged back/forth it is work hardened and is actually stronger.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Not entirely true as when metal is massaged back/forth it is work hardened and is actually stronger.
Not sure I agree. Bend a piece of aluminum repeatedly and it will weaken and break.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Not sure I agree. Bend a piece of aluminum repeatedly and it will weaken and break.
It's a fact and re: breaking Yes that's the point of failure, but metal is actually work hardened before this occurs.

When you get in an accident and the body shop straightens the 1/4 panel, it actually gets stronger as the molecules in the metal are beat and re shaped/re aligned into place. Do this enough and you have it's failure point and the metal tears.

I'm not advocating the rim will be better than new but a bend can be fixed and be safe. Metal has a memory and will want to go back to shape.
Appreciate 0