BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Guys - to all those that say they needed to replace their DRLs, is it because they burnt or some other reason? I bought aftermarket bulbs and am wondering if this would cause a problem to those as well. I know I'm not covered, obviously...but just wanted to know if there's another underlying reason why they fail.

Thanks
I am guessing the bulb burned out but I have not taken it in to verify. I did glance at the housing and the wire connection seemed ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
Maymun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Thanks for the update. Hey, no vibration AT ALL at any speed after changing tires? I powder-coated my wheels and the bozos here couldn't balance the tires perfectly. Tried 3 times, and the 3rd one was the best, but still have a bit of vibration after 70 mph. If you hold the steering wheel tight you don't feel it anymore, but if you just drive with one hand, you feel it. Weird, huh? It was perfect before, with just a hint of vibration (with no pressure on steering wheel) on certain roads, which is normal for what I've read (sensitive steering). I know it's not the car, but a bit frustrating nonetheless. Still haven't taken it on a trip, but am thinking of taking it somewhere where I can run it to 100 for a couple of minutes to make sure the condition is livable on a trip. Take care.
All my tires are done at discounttire in 2 specific stores I use. I watch them try different machines, and usually multiple techs and 30min or so for them to balance the tires. I am no expert, other tires in out if machine in 2-3 min, mine took 15 min or more each to balance. There was never any issues 130-150miles/hr range driving speeds.
      06-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #25
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maymun View Post
All my tires are done at discounttire in 2 specific stores I use. I watch them try different machines, and usually multiple techs and 30min or so for them to balance the tires. I am no expert, other tires in out if machine in 2-3 min, mine took 15 min or more each to balance. There was never any issues 130-150miles/hr range driving speeds.
I tried to be there to see what the hell the techs were doing, but they kicked me out for their typical insurance BS. All I know is they had to rebalance my tires three times, all in the SAME MACHINE. And every time the weights ended up in VERY different places. There must be some parameters that should be entered, or the damn machine is ready to be scrapped. It's a Hunter 9700, so I'm more inclined it's the former, which means tech incompetence. Got the car quickly to 90 and if I'm grabbing the wheel (like I always do), didn't feel any vibration. It only vibrates when I let go of the wheel (or with zero hand pressure), so vibration is very minimal. Will have to wait until I have to take the car on a trip and see how it behaves. Again, it's nice to know it's not the car itself, because I had a similar issue once (much worse, of course) with a then new Lexus GS400, and after 2 years, it was determined a steering part was defective. Thanks for your reply. Have a good one.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #26
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
One of the things I've been thinking about nonstop. Which garage gate to enter at work, driveways and other clearance issues. And I have a ZCP Coupe here in 10 days that's 10mm LOWER than the stock E92.

Hoping it's not THAT bad everywhere I already know I'm going to have to crawl out of dips, garages, driveways, etc. and some I feel, won't even be accessible.

Lot's of Chevron, Exxon around me with a Shell here and there. Lot's of people seem to prefer Shell (maybe that's why they're the biggest and richest company in the world? )

Nice write up!
Sheesh, you live in LA and you are complaining about ramps and garages? I live in manhattan where we have to deal with all manner of garage ramps. I can never lower my car for fear of ripping my bumper off. Not to mention that the garage entrance is about 6 inches wider than the m3.

And then we have the roads...I have seen some artificial metal road covers higher than a garage ramp! Having to keep my eye constantly on yellow cabs, avoid some potholes that are the size of sink holes ( I saw one pothole break the suspension of a Dodge Ram pickup truck, which possibly saved my life) All you future owners relax especially if you live in a place like California.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #27
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Sheesh, you live in LA and you are complaining about ramps and garages? I live in manhattan where we have to deal with all manner of garage ramps. I can never lower my car for fear of ripping my bumper off. Not to mention that the garage entrance is about 6 inches wider than the m3.

And then we have the roads...I have seen some artificial metal road covers higher than a garage ramp! Having to keep my eye constantly on yellow cabs, avoid some potholes that are the size of sink holes ( I saw one pothole break the suspension of a Dodge Ram pickup truck, which possibly saved my life) All you future owners relax especially if you live in a place like California.
Why are you even driving an M3?

Should get an X5 (non-M)... LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #28
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post

I know Manhattan roads pretty bad but we have some pretty terrible roads here as well.

I'm glad that they're currently redoing Sunset BLVD, which was a terrible street full of endless sewer caps that were 3" deep and potholes galore.

The moment it rains for 4 hours here potholes spring up left and right.

CalTrans must be run by utter morons because if they simply built the roads better, with better materials and thicker concrete/asphalt there wouldn't be the need to repair the damn things every other month.

What can you do, drive carefully I guess.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #29
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Why are you even driving an M3?

Should get an X5 (non-M)... LOL.
Hah hah. Because I'm a car enthusiast, not a soccer Mom!! I know it sounds like a terrible rant, but the fact of the matter is I'm still very happy with the car, road issues aside. It just means I have to be a very, very patient driver while in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I know Manhattan roads pretty bad but we have some pretty terrible roads here as well.

I'm glad that they're currently redoing Sunset BLVD, which was a terrible street full of endless sewer caps that were 3" deep and potholes galore.

The moment it rains for 4 hours here potholes spring up left and right.

CalTrans must be run by utter morons because if they simply built the roads better, with better materials and thicker concrete/asphalt there wouldn't be the need to repair the damn things every other month.

What can you do, drive carefully I guess.
Wow I didn't know that. I used to live in Cali, and my memories are only full of glorious, smooth roads. And I absolutely agree with you, it's so idiotic that they cost cut by asphalting roads, only to have it rupture and crack on you within six months!! Concrete is expensive but it sure does last - the concreted portion of the FDR and West Side Highway are the only non-potholed road sections in NYC .

Our entire summers on the East Coast are spent repairing road after road that cracked during the winter. It's incredibly frustrating and annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #30
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Ok I'll chime in. I agree with most of the stuff above. Here's my 2008 12K/1.5yr update.

The good:
-a pleasure to drive, easy to live with. quite practical. nice place to be. head turner.
-excellent revvy motor and solid feel
-haven't been back to dealer except for a couple oil changes. dealer support is fantastic.
-ps2 tires are excellent. I need to start driving faster..! You guys are chewing through tires!
-Bates valvetronic exhaust note is to die for (obviously!)
-i love all the German engineering and gadgets, and trust me, there are a LOT of gadgets
-residual value seems to be ok
-Overall, I love this car

The bad:
-its overpriced
-dsc needs to be more lax in M mode. This car is too good/safe/dumbed down. BMW needs to inject more fun with that M button
-idrive is uninspired, but still really neat. Nav seems to work well.
-random mode on mp3 (glovebox version) is annoying because if you hit next track, it will still go in order. Its ONLY random if you finish the song. stupid!
-silly throttle position adjustment was neat in the beginning, but now I just use one mode.
-I also want a normal dipstick
-S.O. always wants to drive it
      06-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #31
JCE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M3 2010 Sedan

My sister just bought a used 2008 550i. The idrive on that thing sucks large animal testicles, so I concur with your assessment. My 2010 is light years better.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #32
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
My sister just bought a used 2008 550i. The idrive on that thing sucks large animal testicles, so I concur with your assessment. My 2010 is light years better.
I cant hear you, ignorance is bliss
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #33
Frozen Black Panther
Captain
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 DINAN STAGE 2

why do people hate idrive?????
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #34
JCE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M3 2010 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Nice Guy Beck! View Post
why do people hate idrive?????
I don't.....my comment was about the 2008 version for the limited time I played with it the other day. I have no problems with the 2010. I have never opened the owners manual, ie it was easy to figure out from the beginning. I'm sure I could get used to the 2008 version over time, but initially I did not find it user friendly.
Appreciate 0