BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

07-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #287
Moegviralles
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo 156GTA

GTF, yes the 4C will be more efficient than your Beamer.. Just don't expect quoted figures.. Lol!

As I said both my turbo FPT cars don't get close to quoted figures.

I do have an Alfa 3.2l V6 making 191kw that drinks combined 15l/100km.. It's worth it tho.. That Alfa V6 roars like no other..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #288
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Like I said, I've driven and enjoyed recent Alfas, but claiming their racing history as a plus is a bit like a Bentley driver saying they bought it for their strong racing history. Or Jaguar for that matter.
Haha!

So true
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #289
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #290
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #291
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Like Ferrari, an Alfa Romeo must be red both past and present...

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-16-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #292
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

The 'ferocious animal' must be put to rest in a jail...

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #293
Moegviralles
Rep

The Alfa is right at the end.. Doesn't sound like the driver is going flat out..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #294
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

^
Zzzzz....to quiet.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #295
Moegviralles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
^
Zzzzz....to quiet.
That because the driver isn't going full tilt.. They just cruising so that everyone can have a nice long look at the car.

And this car doesn't have the racing exhaust the 4C Launch Editions will come out with..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #296
Moegviralles
Rep

So second Shotgun review.. Topgear UK had the following to say:

Doing a road test from a passenger seat is a bit like doing a restaurant review without tasting the food. I could tell you what meat and potatoes are like, but may struggle to describe the precise flavours. But here goes anyway, because I happen to be sat in an Alfa Romeo 4C and I'm about to be whisked up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

We've been looking forward to this car very much. It has a carbon fibre chassis, a 237bhp turbocharged engine in the middle, a dual-clutch 'box sending power to the rear wheels and a dry weight of just 895kg. It'll go on sale towards the end of this year and cost somewhere around Ł50k, which is a fair bit to swallow for an Alfa. It also means we'll be comparing it to the likes of the Porsche Cayman and Lotus Exige. So if it's not right, it'll be punched firmly in the tummy. If it's good, it has the potential to join the list of our favourite cars of recent history.

So what can I tell you? There's not much room in here. I tuck my elbows in to avoid brushing the driver's arm. We have a couple of helmets on board (motorsport is dangerous, folks - read the signs) and there isn't room for much else. But so what? It's a small two-seater. The carbon is exposed in places and the glass is especially thin because, well, nobody likes fat glass. So you can clearly hear the 1750cc engine behind your head. It sounds gruff, like it should clear its throat, but reminds me of the mechanical chunter of a six-cylinder Porsche. In a good way. I'm told the final car will have a louder exhaust, but I'm not sure it needs it.

Gallery: production pics of the new Alfa Romeo 4C

Off we go. We're in Dynamic mode, so there's still a bit of traction control, but enough slip to allow a mildly smoky burnout off the start line. And it's good news from here. It's fast enough to leave your stomach behind, and feels good for 0-60 in five seconds or less. The lack of flab makes itself known immediately - it doesn't heave or haul. It darts and skips. With fuel and two blokes on board, I guess it weighs somewhere close to 1100kg. But it feels like less.

The gearbox is the TCT dual-clutcher, which we've previously slagged off in other cars (we're looking at you, MiTo). But here it's been tuned to suit a sports car and it slips into each gear pretty damn quickly. From what I can tell from this side of the car, there are no dramatic pauses between pulling the paddle and feeling the change (though it appears to be a touch sticky at curbside manoeuvring speeds).

There are, however, many beeps. It's the traction control, my driver tells me, letting you know it's interfering (switching to Race mode would turn it off completely, and avoid any beeps). But I suspect they also chirp when it's time to change gear. Either way, I'd like to put them on mute, or rip out the wiring and throw them through the window. This is a driver's car. So let us drive.

In almost every other way - or at least those I can detect from here - this really is a driver's car. Reminds me very much of a Lotus Elise in the way it rides and goes around corners. You might feel bumps right up your spine (it's a carbon tub, to which the suspension is directly mounted, so it's supposed to be stiff), but somehow it's not brutal. More like a firm sports massage. Then there's the steering, which is unassisted. None of your electrohydraulic nonsense here - just a good ol' natural connection. It feels like this is a car made by people who know what they're doing. And one we'll like very much when we drive it.

Of course, we'll to wait until it's literally in our hands before casting a final judgement. But based on today's experience, hopes are rather high.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/a...ride-201307-18
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #297
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegviralles View Post
So second Shotgun review.. Topgear UK had the following to say:

Doing a road test from a passenger seat is a bit like doing a restaurant review without tasting the food. I could tell you what meat and potatoes are like, but may struggle to describe the precise flavours. But here goes anyway, because I happen to be sat in an Alfa Romeo 4C and I'm about to be whisked up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

We've been looking forward to this car very much. It has a carbon fibre chassis, a 237bhp turbocharged engine in the middle, a dual-clutch 'box sending power to the rear wheels and a dry weight of just 895kg. It'll go on sale towards the end of this year and cost somewhere around Ł50k, which is a fair bit to swallow for an Alfa. It also means we'll be comparing it to the likes of the Porsche Cayman and Lotus Exige. So if it's not right, it'll be punched firmly in the tummy. If it's good, it has the potential to join the list of our favourite cars of recent history.

So what can I tell you? There's not much room in here. I tuck my elbows in to avoid brushing the driver's arm. We have a couple of helmets on board (motorsport is dangerous, folks - read the signs) and there isn't room for much else. But so what? It's a small two-seater. The carbon is exposed in places and the glass is especially thin because, well, nobody likes fat glass. So you can clearly hear the 1750cc engine behind your head. It sounds gruff, like it should clear its throat, but reminds me of the mechanical chunter of a six-cylinder Porsche. In a good way. I'm told the final car will have a louder exhaust, but I'm not sure it needs it.

Gallery: production pics of the new Alfa Romeo 4C

Off we go. We're in Dynamic mode, so there's still a bit of traction control, but enough slip to allow a mildly smoky burnout off the start line. And it's good news from here. It's fast enough to leave your stomach behind, and feels good for 0-60 in five seconds or less. The lack of flab makes itself known immediately - it doesn't heave or haul. It darts and skips. With fuel and two blokes on board, I guess it weighs somewhere close to 1100kg. But it feels like less.

The gearbox is the TCT dual-clutcher, which we've previously slagged off in other cars (we're looking at you, MiTo). But here it's been tuned to suit a sports car and it slips into each gear pretty damn quickly. From what I can tell from this side of the car, there are no dramatic pauses between pulling the paddle and feeling the change (though it appears to be a touch sticky at curbside manoeuvring speeds).

There are, however, many beeps. It's the traction control, my driver tells me, letting you know it's interfering (switching to Race mode would turn it off completely, and avoid any beeps). But I suspect they also chirp when it's time to change gear. Either way, I'd like to put them on mute, or rip out the wiring and throw them through the window. This is a driver's car. So let us drive.

In almost every other way - or at least those I can detect from here - this really is a driver's car. Reminds me very much of a Lotus Elise in the way it rides and goes around corners. You might feel bumps right up your spine (it's a carbon tub, to which the suspension is directly mounted, so it's supposed to be stiff), but somehow it's not brutal. More like a firm sports massage. Then there's the steering, which is unassisted. None of your electrohydraulic nonsense here - just a good ol' natural connection. It feels like this is a car made by people who know what they're doing. And one we'll like very much when we drive it.

Of course, we'll to wait until it's literally in our hands before casting a final judgement. But based on today's experience, hopes are rather high.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/a...ride-201307-18
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #298
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #299
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Beautiful!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #300
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

^
Can someone photoshop some normal headlights on the car, just to see what it could look like.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #301
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #302
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

This is the first time I see that the 4C is claimed to be equipped with a lsd; the specs list at the end of evo scan you posted shows it. I hope that it is not just a simple mistake and it is true. I thought I have read somewhere just a few months ago that it would have an open differential and Alfa claimed it would be doing just fine without a lsd.

Anyone has a clear info on this point?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #303
Moegviralles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
This is the first time I see that the 4C is claimed to be equipped with a lsd; the specs list at the end of evo scan you posted shows it. I hope that it is not just a simple mistake and it is true. I thought I have read somewhere just a few months ago that it would have an open differential and Alfa claimed it would be doing just fine without a lsd.

It does not have a limited slip diff.

Its got an electronic diff only..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #304
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Hi ozinaldo,

As Perreby already has mentioned you are right... the Alfa Romeo 4C's current versions, LE and standard, have an electronic diff only, much like the one in the BMW 135i.

However, like what happened with the BMW 1M which was introduced after the 135i, expect a “Racing”- track only and Stradale (in homage to its spiritual predecessor - the Alfa 33 Stradale) versions of the Alfa 4C which will produce around 270HP and most likely will be equipped with a mechanical limited slip diff as Pirelli developed 2 sets of tires for the 4C - 'Normal' and "Racing" and the latter remain yet to be seen in the current production models.

Nevertheless, even with the electronic diff you still can have a LOT of FUN (provided you have the necessary skills) :

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-19-2013 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #305
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Even Honda has dared to push the boundaries of car innovation :

The World's Most Badass 130 MPH Fire-Spitting Lawnmower

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #306
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegviralles View Post
It does not have a limited slip diff.

Its got an electronic diff only..
Thanks for the clarification.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #307
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Hi ozinaldo,

As Perreby already has mentioned you are right... the Alfa Romeo 4C's current versions, LE and standard, have an electronic diff only, much like the one in the BMW 135i.

However, like what happened with the BMW 1M which was introduced after the 135i, expect a “Racing”- track only and Stradale (in homage to its spiritual predecessor - the Alfa 33 Stradale) versions of the Alfa 4C which will produce around 270HP and most likely will be equipped with a mechanical limited slip diff as Pirelli developed 2 sets of tires for the 4C - 'Normal' and "Racing" and the latter remain yet to be seen in the current production models.

Nevertheless, even with the electronic diff you still can have a LOT of FUN (provided you have the necessary skills) :
Thanks, I don't doubt the base 4C's capabilities at all; in fact I have a thread in 1M section where I "promote" it as the most probable and deserving future replacement for my 1M, over many other cars including M2 or new Cayman. I am dying to read first reviews of this car.

I will probably wait for what you call the race version; maybe a 4C "Spyder" GTA or whatever they will call it, with close to 300 hp and lsd among other things (like fixed headlights as part of a LCI) Could pay happily more to that car than the actual prices for what we have now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #308
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I don't doubt the base 4C's capabilities at all; in fact I have a thread in 1M section where I "promote" it as the most probable and deserving future replacement for my 1M, over many other cars including M2 or new Cayman. I am dying to read first reviews of this car.

I will probably wait for what you call the race version; maybe a 4C "Spyder" GTA or whatever they will call it, with close to 300 hp and lsd among other things (like fixed headlights as part of a LCI) Could pay happily more to that car than the actual prices for what we have now.
If you want it as a track toy only, for sure it will be worth waiting... but for that purpose only you can also consider the Lotus Exige S roadster and you don't have to wait for the reviews:

«Lotus Exige S Roadster first drive review»

You can see it leaving ahead of the Alfa 4C with a very nice exhaust note:

As for me, I'm dying to drive the Alfa 4C!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-19-2013 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0