BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
DailyDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3 (6MT)

iPhone 4 Snap-in Adapter Stopped Working

I have an iPhone 4S with the Media snap-in adapter that was released for the iPhone 4. I've been using it without problems for a month or so now (even after the iOS 5.0.1 update), but over the past week my iPhone has not not been consistently recognized/connected when I snap it in. I found that turning off the car and restarting it solved the problem for a while, but now it doesn't seem to connect any more. I plugged my iPhone into the Y-cable this morning and it was immediately recognized and played music and displayed the menus just as expected. Any suggestions/thoughts? Should I just buy a new snap-in adapter?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
DailyDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDriver View Post
I have an iPhone 4S with the Media snap-in adapter
Meant to say that I have the Music snap-in adapter. Anyway, ended up ordering a replacement one to see if that fixes the problem. It's either the adapter or the 6NF option that's broken. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
DailyDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Problem solved. New snap-in adapter arrived and fixed the issue. Odd that the one I had, which was only about a month old, couldn't play music yet still charged my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

I have noticed that in my car, occasionally my adapter will stop working and I have to eject it and reseat it for it to work again.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
mhaghighi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition package

please post your snap adapter number and is this the one with video as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Just a heads up. You're not trying to use iTunes match? I've found in some instances when iTunes match is enabled on the phone, the car will not recognize the phone when plugged in ... Cradle or cable ! Restoring the phone and ensuring iTunes match is off has fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
DailyDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks, guys. To answer your questions:
  • I had ejected the adapter and reseated it several times thinking that would do the trick, but it didn't work. I even took the adapter apart after I got the new one working to see if there was anything visually wrong with the connections. Couldn't find anything.
  • I have the Music snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4 used in my 2009 E92 with 6NF option. It does not play video or show album covers like the Media adapter for the newer M3s. I don't have the part number on hand, but I ordered it from Tischer. It's the iPhone 4 Music (6NF, vehicles up to 9/2010) - http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
  • Good advice on the iTunes Match. I have that enabled now and have no problems with the new adapter, but I recall the other adapter stopped working before I enabled that service. The telltale sign that the adapter was the problem was that the iPhone connected and played music fine with the Y-cable plugged into the USB port, just not through the adapter.
Appreciate 0