BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

06-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
If not, you'll hate the DCT and there are plenty of threads on why people hate it.
I am fairly sure there is not a single thread from a DCT owner nor anyone who did an extended test of it who hates it. Please enlighten me if I am incorrect.

In the bigger picture I couldn't agree more with the post from gr8000. The "dreaded" lag is really just a pimple on the face of a supermodel.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #24
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I am fairly sure there is not a single thread from a DCT owner nor anyone who did an extended test of it who hates it. Please enlighten me if I am incorrect.

In the bigger picture I couldn't agree more with the post from gr8000. The "dreaded" lag is really just a pimple on the face of a supermodel.
I'm not going to get sucked into that one. If you follow my posts at all, you'll know where I stand on this topic. Stop writing novels about the "dreaded" lag and just get rid of the car or learn to enjoy it. I don't see a pimple on the face of my supermodel...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #25
SteveW25561
Rep
Drives: MB SLK 350

Thanks to everyone's replies. I took one out for a test drive today was was very impressed. Felt great, and I can definitely see myself learning the manual side of things using the DCT paddles. In fact, looking forward to that aspect.

The points about considering a 335i are well taken but the M3 really does offer so much more. Superficial stuff like the styling still count when you're looking in this price range, and the overall experience is what I'm looking for. The V8 indeed sounds amazing.

The point of no creep like an automatic was noticed, and I can see it a bit tricky in garages as mentioned, but practice will make perfect.

I do plan eventually to take it onto a track to open her up. I agree it would be a waste not to do this.

So, I'm now 95% sure I'm pulling that trigger. Not even waiting for the 2010's -- I'm taking a bit of a gamble that BMW won't be making a HUGE change in the cabriolet that was fairly recently updated slightly in 2009 (for 2010, I'm hearing maybe LED tail lights or other styling changes I'd bet on but not a fundamental change in the engine or iDrive -- anyone disagree?).

Thanks for everyone's input. The comments have been great.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I'm not going to get sucked into that one. If you follow my posts at all, you'll know where I stand on this topic. Stop writing novels about the "dreaded" lag and just get rid of the car or learn to enjoy it. I don't see a pimple on the face of my supermodel...
Hmmm, very confused. I was not trying to suck you into anything

1. I don't follow your posts and don't know where you stand on the topic. Sorry.
2. I have learned to enjoy my car, plenty, thank you. Well I did not have to learn. The car and transmission are wonderfully easy to enjoy, no extra effort or "learning" required. The lag is again just a pimple. It's something easy to theorize and complain about. Cheers.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #27
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheRacer View Post
I have to agree with this. Do yourself a favor and learn to drive a manual transmission car. Perhaps it is flawed thinking, but IMHO a driver who isn't able to operate a manual probably isn't much of a skilled high performance driver and probably doesn't belong in an M3. If you aspire to be a better driver and use a car like this to its capability, attend a high performance driving course or two and learn to drive a manual. The M school seems well received.
+1000000
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #28
grayshrk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Graphite E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I think the car will work, but without knowing how to use a MT, the principles behind it (when to shift, what gear is best to be in) you can't enjoy the the car fully because you won't be able to enjoy "Manual" (referred to BMW as "sport" ) mode as much.

I'm going to get flamed but if you just plan on putting her in "Drive" and letting it shift for you all the time perhaps an //M isn't the best choice for you? May I ask why not a 335i vert or a 650i vert? I'm not flaming just trying to figure out whether there might be a car you are happier with? This is not a putz around town and every now and then floor it type of car, it just won't be satisfying unless you are driving her to redline more often. I know, I am going from a 335i coupe to a //M coupe and driving the two is like night and day and it sounds like the 335i might be more suited for your needs....that is all.

Either way, good luck and welcome

Cheers,
e46e92
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #29
grayshrk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Graphite E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheRacer View Post
I have to agree with this. Do yourself a favor and learn to drive a manual transmission car. Perhaps it is flawed thinking, but IMHO a driver who isn't able to operate a manual probably isn't much of a skilled high performance driver and probably doesn't belong in an M3. If you aspire to be a better driver and use a car like this to its capability, attend a high performance driving course or two and learn to drive a manual. The M school seems well received.
Not sure if I would put it this way. However, I do believe the OP will most likely be paying for a car with capabilities that he will not truly be able to appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I think the car will work, but without knowing how to use a MT, the principles behind it (when to shift, what gear is best to be in) you can't enjoy the the car fully because you won't be able to enjoy "Manual" (referred to BMW as "sport" ) mode as much.

I'm going to get flamed but if you just plan on putting her in "Drive" and letting it shift for you all the time perhaps an //M isn't the best choice for you? May I ask why not a 335i vert or a 650i vert? I'm not flaming just trying to figure out whether there might be a car you are happier with? This is not a putz around town and every now and then floor it type of car, it just won't be satisfying unless you are driving her to redline more often. I know, I am going from a 335i coupe to a //M coupe and driving the two is like night and day and it sounds like the 335i might be more suited for your needs....that is all.

Either way, good luck and welcome

Cheers,
e46e92
DCT or SMG is not rocket science. OP, get the DCT and you will figure it out in no time. I came from an auto car to an SMG (rough and more difficult to use than DCT) and I got it within an hour. I now drive in manual mode 99% of time and the shift is smooth as silk.

Try to drive in manual mode as much as you can and soon, you will never use the auto mode again, I guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #31
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW25561 View Post

The point of no creep like an automatic was noticed, and I can see it a bit tricky in garages as mentioned, but practice will make perfect.

I do plan eventually to take it onto a track to open her up. I agree it would be a waste not to do this.

Thanks for everyone's input. The comments have been great.
Actually, there is a sticky I think either in the GENERAL SECTION or ENGINE MODS section that has a pdf of the manual which will discuss the "creep" feature this car DOES HAVE. Not really that practical for pulling into a garage I've heard, but I have seen it in action in traffic and I have to admit, its nice and probably extends the life of the clutches....

Well, if you pull the trigger, CONGRATS

Oh, and my point about the 335i vert is it would be what you were looking for and save you about 20k. But sounds like you will appreciate the finer points of the //M, so again an early CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #32
SteveW25561
Rep
Drives: MB SLK 350

Well, I did it.

Ordered a 2009 M3 convertible, fully spec'd out:
19" wheels
DCT tansmission (thanks, everyone)
MDrive
Executive Package
EDC

Jerez Black with black interior and Carbon Leather trim.

Should be here by the end of July!

Can't wait...

- Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #33
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW25561 View Post
Well, I did it.

Ordered a 2009 M3 convertible, fully spec'd out:
19" wheels
DCT tansmission (thanks, everyone)
MDrive
Executive Package
EDC

Jerez Black with black interior and Carbon Leather trim.

Should be here by the end of July!

Can't wait...

- Steve
Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0