BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

12-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #45
Allanzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 JB E92 dct

I have a heavily modified evo in my garage right now, right next to the M.
The car has aem ems, 2.3 stroker engine, gt35r turbo with all the supporting mods( in,ex,cams, meth), making close to 600 whp. And everytime they ask me what I've done to it, I always say, "just an exhaust and intake."
Evos are fast cars especially when they are modded. If your coworkers' cars have the basic intake, turboback exh, mbc and running e85 or on meth injection, you will lose.
But in the end, they drive evos, you my friend, drive an M. There is no comparison. You drive the better car!
So let em talk, for all you know, they are just jealous of the M.
Btw, I'm selling my evo.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #46
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

And a Merry Christmas to you, sir.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #47
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
When I drove the Porsche most folks thought I'm a total douchebag.... now since I drive the M3, folks just think I'm a dick.
AMAZING

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #48
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero7 View Post
Who care, it's a tin pot washing machine... They are sterile and pretty boring to drive....
Personally, only car I had more fun in than an evo, was an elise.
*Granted that I've yet to try them all (lol).

The evo is twitchy, squirly, jerky, noisy, busy, visceral.
You can think of it like the fat-bastard of go-carts.

M3 is a much more relaxed car. Closer to a GT.
It's closer to what I would call sterile - but not in a bad way.
You pay extra for the refinement and livability.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #49
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 GT500 on order / E90 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Personally, only car I had more fun in than an evo, was an elise.
*Granted that I've yet to try them all (lol).

The evo is twitchy, squirly, jerky, noisy, busy, visceral.
You can think of it like the fat-bastard of go-carts.

M3 is a much more relaxed car. Closer to a GT.
It's closer to what I would call sterile - but not in a bad way.
You pay extra for the refinement and livability.

-scheherazade
well said.

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #50
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I have an '06 Evo and yes it's fast but it's still just a Mitsubishi. Don't get me wrong I love the evo but having an M car puts you in a different league in many ways. If your co-workers are giving you sh*t about your M it's because they're envious and wish they had one. Like others have said, pretty much any car can be made faster than the M but in the end you still win. Whenever I find myself in these types of, my car is faster, conversations I simply smile and nod in agreement. Whatever I say to them will just go in one ear and out the other so it makes no sense to argue about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #51
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaho View Post
I have an '06 Evo and yes it's fast but it's still just a Mitsubishi. Don't get me wrong I love the evo but having an M car puts you in a different league in many ways. If your co-workers are giving you sh*t about your M it's because they're envious and wish they had one. Like others have said, pretty much any car can be made faster than the M but in the end you still win. Whenever I find myself in these types of, my car is faster, conversations I simply smile and nod in agreement. Whatever I say to them will just go in one ear and out the other so it makes no sense to argue about it.
I do want an M car, I am envious at times of them. But at the same time I am into modding cars, not flaunting them.

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #52
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
I do want an M car, I am envious at times of them. But at the same time I am into modding cars, not flaunting them.
Plus evo handling is telepathic.
Few cars are so easy to fling around.
You can pretty much drift around a set of cones one handed while sipping tea, talking on the cell [between ear and shoulder], and thinking about what radio station you want to change to.
The car simply refuses to get away from you.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #53
madfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 PB Evo X MR-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
QFT

people who buy evo's, s2000's, miata's, etc. generally are more into the cars rather than what the car says about them.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #54
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Especially miatas.
Cheap, fun car that's a hoot to drive, but impresses nobody.

What the car says (according to car-people) :
"My co-cart isn't street legal, so I had to compromise."

What the car says (according to non-car-people) :
"Hi, I'm gay."

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #55
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Coming from a DSM lover and owner of a heavily modded GSX, unless the evo's launch really well, you should have no problem with them. From a roll, it's not even a question the M3 will stomp on a near stock evo.

Evo's with upgraded turbos and supporting mods will give a NA'd M3 run for it's money and maybe walk it too.
      12-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #56
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Especially miatas.
Cheap, fun car that's a hoot to drive, but impresses nobody.

What the car says (according to car-people) :
"My co-cart isn't street legal, so I had to compromise."

What the car says (according to non-car-people) :
"Hi, I'm gay."

-scheherazade
LOL If I recall the speed miata has a turbo... quick, nimble, and gay!

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #57
dL_EVO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 EVO IX, 2011 BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM3 View Post
Evos break all day long.. You spend more time repairing them and changing motors transmissions and transfer-cases then driving them. Every single one of my friends that own or have owned an Evo have broken at least the motor and transfer-case. Just tell them best out of 10 on the drag racing the Evo wont last past the 3rd race..
I've owned an EVO IX for 7 years and had it since new. It's never broken down on me and it's been modified since almost day 1. I have 66K miles on mine.

Cams/Ported T.B/Ported Turbo (outlet and inlet)/Ported exhaust/intake manifold/Full Turboback/FMIC & piping/Cams and some other stuff with a tune.

Not going to mention what cars I smash because it's irrelevant. EVOs are cars for people who like to modify or race cars. Modified cars break, it's just the name of the game. You push any car to it's limits and something will break. If you think a heavily modified M3 will hold up better than an EVO just because it is badged with a M emblem than you are being foolish.

It's all perception, on the street you don't see that many mildly modified performance e9x m3. Most are around the stock power threshold, so obviously the car is going to be more reliable. That is common sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #58
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaho View Post
Aren't you on the EE forums?

I also hate these my car is faster conversations. It's so pointless, I wish everyone would just appreciate all vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #59
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

wow, I just noticed I brought back a 2 year old thread. Holy Shit Batman!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #60
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL_EVO View Post
I've owned an EVO IX for 7 years and had it since new. It's never broken down on me and it's been modified since almost day 1. I have 66K miles on mine.

Cams/Ported T.B/Ported Turbo (outlet and inlet)/Ported exhaust/intake manifold/Full Turboback/FMIC & piping/Cams and some other stuff with a tune.

Not going to mention what cars I smash because it's irrelevant. EVOs are cars for people who like to modify or race cars. Modified cars break, it's just the name of the game. You push any car to it's limits and something will break. If you think a heavily modified M3 will hold up better than an EVO just because it is badged with a M emblem than you are being foolish.

It's all perception, on the street you don't see that many mildly modified performance e9x m3. Most are around the stock power threshold, so obviously the car is going to be more reliable. That is common sense.
Very well said. The original comment that Evos are unreliable was ridiculous.

I've had the pleasure of piloting an Evo 6.5 on English backroads and it was right up thee with the best driving experiences of my life. I also very much like the Pajero. Mitsubishi's other cars are kinda crappy but those two are worthy of the brand and if the Evo VI had made it stateside I'd have one in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #61
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Sids battle with the evos might be a loss up in denver, due to our altitude our NA engines are down huge on power, and the evos are no as they are FI. 3% down on power per 1000 ft (i think that is right)... i think is the average so 3% of 414 is around
12.5 hp x 5 for denver being over 5000 ft elevation so 60HP down already, then drivetrain loss of say... another 60HP.... already 120 hp down. NEED supercharger
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #62
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
Very well said. The original comment that Evos are unreliable was ridiculous.

I've had the pleasure of piloting an Evo 6.5 on English backroads and it was right up thee with the best driving experiences of my life. I also very much like the Pajero. Mitsubishi's other cars are kinda crappy but those two are worthy of the brand and if the Evo VI had made it stateside I'd have one in the garage.
I'm jealous. EVO 6.5 TME is the king of EVOs.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #63
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

EVOs are fun and built quite tough. They have a lot of potential to do many amazing things, but I won't buy/compare an EVO to any M3. They are just different. (I used to sell Mitsubishi and selling EVOs made me lots of $$$, and I like them very much too ^^)
      09-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #64
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

EVOs are fun and built quite tough. They have a lot of potential to do many amazing things, but I won't buy/compare an EVO to any M3. They are just different. (I used to sell Mitsubishi and selling EVOs made me lots of $$$, and I like them very much too ^^)
      09-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #65
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64
The tuning shop was CBRD. Not some shop taking a stab at tuning. Sure, putting a metal pipe on your car is an option, but having quality parts that prolong and enhance performance was the goal. Any shop can crank up the boost and dyno impressive numbers at the expense of your engine. I was just weighing in on my first hand experience with both cars. I enjoyed my Evo, but it was time to move on. I'm not sure who doesn't know how to change their oil, but why do it yourself when BMW does it for you.
^ this. Ive always lived by "do what you do best and pay others to do what they do best"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #66
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL_EVO
wow, I just noticed I brought back a 2 year old thread. Holy Shit Batman!
I just realized i quoted a 2 year old comment! Lol good job dL!
Appreciate 0