BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
sort of.

eibach springs are ok (i have them) because the spring rates are similar to stock, but more importantly, the drop is very very mild. The same can be said for Dinan springs. This is why both setups ride very similar to stock, with a small reduction of body roll and a little better turn in provided you have good tires.

The springs with lower drops, like H and R, do not ride as well as these setups for that very reason.

The reason I think the coilver setup up is BS without matching shocks and struts is because i dont know what the difference would be from springs alone? Maybe height adjustment? Well all that is is adding a spring perch to kit.

A true coilver system includes matching springs, shocks and struts. Like KW, like TCK, like AST, like Bistein....

This dinan setup, if the comments in this thread are true about their upcoming product, is a half ass solution, which is ok, unless it is marketed as a true coilover at coilover prices.

For street purposes, and mild track use, the eibach springs are great. I think the ride quality is identical to stock, just a slight increase in "bounce" over larger bumps, but nothing worth crying about.
Did you get the different E36 bump stops to go with the Eibach springs? I heard some people say you should so I'm not sure what to think. I know this will give you increased travel but I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference. Also, would the increase in travel affect the performance of the springs as they were designed with stock bump stops in mind? What is your take on it?

I was also thinking of adding some wheel spacers while putting on new springs. That should be a fairly benign addition I assume.

Thanks...

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Alpine White/Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #24
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
To my surprise, Scott said that the installation instructions for the Stage III call for the stock locating pins at the top of the strut towers to be removed. I had been under the impression that the pins were left in place, and that by my removing them in the future I could get even more negative camber. The shop that did my installation set the camber at -1.8 front/-1.7 rear, which is Dinan's recommended street/track compromise setting. I had planned on taking my car back to the shop in a few weeks for a repeat alignment with pin pulling and maxing negative camber in the front, so I'll confirm then whether or not the pins have already been pulled.

In any case, Scott said that there are individual variations between cars, but I could expect maybe -2.2 to -2.4 out of the front.
Followup: Went to MotorWorks West in NJ on Friday for an alignment. They confirmed that they indeed pulled the locating pins when installing the Stage III suspension. I was happy with their result Friday--they were able to get me to -2.4 camber up front and -2.0 in back. First trackday is NJMP in mid-April, so I'll see how it feels then.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Followup: Went to MotorWorks West in NJ on Friday for an alignment. They confirmed that they indeed pulled the locating pins when installing the Stage III suspension. I was happy with their result Friday--they were able to get me to -2.4 camber up front and -2.0 in back. First trackday is NJMP in mid-April, so I'll see how it feels then.
Sounds close to what I've got, think you'll love it, but as always am sure you'll want more
      03-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #26
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
For street purposes, and mild track use, the eibach springs are great. I think the ride quality is identical to stock, just a slight increase in "bounce" over larger bumps, but nothing worth crying about.
I hated my Eibachs. Even with the E36 M3 bumpstops, I thought they rode terrible, like a rice civic with cut springs. I ripped them off pretty quickly. Was very happy with the right of my Dinan setup. On my '12, I have ZCP, and am planning on just leaving it alone.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I hated my Eibachs. Even with the E36 M3 bumpstops, I thought they rode terrible, like a rice civic with cut springs. I ripped them off pretty quickly. Was very happy with the right of my Dinan setup. On my '12, I have ZCP, and am planning on just leaving it alone.
In no way would I describe the ride in that light, but thats just my experience

I thought the m3 rode too bouncy from the factory, and the eibach do accentuate the bounce a touch.

I am more irritated that BMW has gone with EDC which makes it impossible to find quality matched spring and shock kits. Ive driven a 3 series and 1 series with the eibach pro system kit (matched springs and dampers) and it drove perfectly, just as good as stock. But because of the EDC, now no one will offer a system like this for this car.

If I bought a new m3, I would have gone with zcp and left it alone myself. I prefer the look of a slightly lowered car.