BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

Pumping Gas Issues

Hi guys,
I am just curious if I am the only one affected by this, but here goes. When filling up on Gas, I usually use the gas lock so that it can continue to pump while I sit inside the car until it tops off. However, I notice with the M3, the gas lock disengages prior to fill up. It is quite annoying and was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this? It cold outside and I would prefer to sit inside with heated seats
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Never had this problem...

Make sure the nozzle is sitting snug inside your tank and not hanging halfway out or something. You need to be close enough to the pump and at the right angle so that the nozzle is straight and pushed in all of the way. If it is twisted or hanging halfway out, not only can you cause a spill, but you'll probably have issues filling.

Is it really that cold in California?
      11-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
It happens sometimes at a particular gas station / pump. I always had issue w/ Chevron with my Cayman S. I recently had issue with Shell with the M3. If you know which pump is the issue just avoid it. Otherwise you need to adjust the nozzle a bit, sometimes pulling it out more helps and if that doesn't try to twist it a bit at an angle (opposite of what Templar said). You are most likely going to need to stay outside when this happens.
      11-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I would say stay outside the car because you can pick up static from inside and release it when going to remove the pump and boom cars up in flames... But I too have noticed that it sometimes stops halfway

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
I would say stay outside the car because you can pick up static from inside and release it when going to remove the pump and boom cars up in flames...
LOL!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Yes, I see this issue at one Chevron station in my town. Have to hold the nozzle at a steeper angle than it naturally sits when left alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
It happens sometimes at a particular gas station / pump. I always had issue w/ Chevron with my Cayman S. I recently had issue with Shell with the M3. If you know which pump is the issue just avoid it. Otherwise you need to adjust the nozzle a bit, sometimes pulling it out more helps and if that doesn't try to twist it a bit at an angle (opposite of what Templar said). You are most likely going to need to stay outside when this happens.
Guess it's different for everyone. I didn't have the issue on my M3, but did on my other car. It was because I was a bit too far away from the pump and at a funny angle, so the nozzle wasn't completely in the right way. When it stopped pumping I turned the car on and noticed it wasn't completely full. I stopped, went back, pulled closer and pushed the nozzle in the right way so it wasn't hanging out funny. It filled it completely and was good to go.
      11-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

My problems are more like using a full tank every weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
I would say stay outside the car because you can pick up static from inside and release it when going to remove the pump and boom cars up in flames... But I too have noticed that it sometimes stops halfway

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb7979 View Post
My problems are more like using a full tank every weekend.
I've got the same exact problem... You think I should take it to the dealer and see what's up?! Will it be covered under warranty?!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
swhat
Captain
Rep

Okay, so it's probably the pumps fault. Yes this doesn't happen at all stations, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I guess, I'll suck it up and stand outside...oh the price I pay to drive an M3.

and static charge? I have leather seats. I can see that happening if I had cloth seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhat View Post
Okay, so it's probably the pumps fault. Yes this doesn't happen at all stations, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I guess, I'll suck it up and stand outside...oh the price I pay to drive an M3.
I had the same thing happen to me at a Shell... I just adjusted how the nozzle was situated and it was all good.

and I NEVER leave the pump unattended... maybe I'm a dork but I stand there with my hand on it the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTempted View Post

Quote:
and static charge? I have leather seats. I can see that happening if I had cloth seats.
sorry i'm bored. thought it would be funny. Glad you caught on lol.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
What a thread .... I love this forum

There should be a suggestion box on the gas station so you can make a suggestion to provide chairs since filling the tank is so stressful and we need to sit down while pumping gas ... and not to forget to have a phone near by so we can call the banker to arrange a loan for the gas bill we just inherited ....

All joking aside ... why would you need to take refuge in your car in California? are your winters that cold? Ever been to Canada in the winter time -40 C = also -40 F ... people pump gas and mind the nozzle since it often stops due to back pressure from the tank. To prevent stoppage one needs to hold the nozzle in a certain way/position to let the air/back pressure escape.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
swhat
Captain
Rep

[All joking aside ... why would you need to take refuge in your car in California? are your winters that cold? Ever been to Canada in the winter time -40 C = also -40 F ... people pump gas and mind the nozzle since it often stops due to back pressure from the tank. To prevent stoppage one needs to hold the nozzle in a certain way/position to let the air/back pressure escape.[/QUOTE]

We californians are spoiled. Anything below 60 is damn cold. And usually in the mornings it's in the 50s where I live. So, trying to save myself from the cold. Plus I am trying to live up to my D*bag image pumping gas in shorts and sunglasses when cold and dark outside.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
[All joking aside ... why would you need to take refuge in your car in California? are your winters that cold? Ever been to Canada in the winter time -40 C = also -40 F ... people pump gas and mind the nozzle since it often stops due to back pressure from the tank. To prevent stoppage one needs to hold the nozzle in a certain way/position to let the air/back pressure escape.

We californians are spoiled. Anything below 60 is damn cold. And usually in the mornings it's in the 50s where I live. So, trying to save myself from the cold. Plus I am trying to live up to my D*bag image pumping gas in shorts and sunglasses when cold and dark outside.
Well my friend be a man put on some trousers and a jacket pump your gas while you manoeuvre the nozzle so that all the air/back pressure escapes the tank and the pump does not stop ... and for havens sake take off them sun glasses when it's dark outside ...

Happy and safe motoring always

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTempted View Post
I had the same thing happen to me at a Shell... I just adjusted how the nozzle was situated and it was all good.

and I NEVER leave the pump unattended... maybe I'm a dork but I stand there with my hand on it the whole time.
You and me both. I even go one step further...when I pull the nozzle out, I put paper towels under it so it can't drip on my paint!

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
You and me both. I even go one step further...when I pull the nozzle out, I put paper towels under it so it can't drip on my paint!
And if someone ask you "you be doing it right"

Most gas stations have a sign saying "Do not leave pump unattended" further ... using that paper towel is super since gas will eventually penetrate the paint and the paint will start to bubble then rust looks terrible ... so you are doing some preventative maintenance

Well Done I say

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

YAY!! Thanks Rolf! I thought some of you guys were going to flame me for my paper towel habit! Turns out I'm doing the right thing.

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
CallMeWonder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Alpine White

My dad owns 4 gas stations so I think I can answer your question lol

If the nozzle is not tightly compressed against the against the car it'll shut off immediately. It's another requirement the government put on all nozzle manufacturers.

Just make sure its nice and snug...if not, it's the nozzles problem(maybe you've tried another station)....idk
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
M14
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Quote:
So, trying to save myself from the cold. Plus I am trying to live up to my D*bag image pumping gas in shorts and sunglasses when cold and dark outside.
My guess, this is not especially challenging for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #21
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Quote:
Hi guys,
I am just curious if I am the only one affected by this, but here goes. When filling up on Gas, I usually use the gas lock so that it can continue to pump while I sit inside the car until it tops off. However, I notice with the M3, the gas lock disengages prior to fill up. It is quite annoying and was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this? It cold outside and I would prefer to sit inside with heated seats
Dude, you are in the bay area and you want to keep warm inside your car with heated seats?

Wow.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
Rmitchell248
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
My dad owns 4 gas stations so I think I can answer your question
Well I own 4 cars and my dad owns 5 I have not seen my dad in 6 months but I think I can still use his car count. So if anyone has any car questions let me know I should be able to set you straight. Also I really know my stuff when it comes to tires because between the two of us we have 36 tires not even counting spares or winter sets.
Appreciate 0