BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

10-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #111
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

alms. i have driven cayman s, 996 and 997 c2s but never a gt3. like i said i have never been able to justify the expense in my head when compared to other things. i decided upon the m3 in late 08 and still love the hell out of it. i would never pay the price for a new car especially a 911 of any variant. i could afford to do it but wont. that extra money serves me better in other places.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #112
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
alms. i have driven cayman s, 996 and 997 c2s but never a gt3. like i said i have never been able to justify the expense in my head when compared to other things. i decided upon the m3 in late 08 and still love the hell out of it. i would never pay the price for a new car especially a 911 of any variant. i could afford to do it but wont. that extra money serves me better in other places.
Cool and great on you for being able to drive them. The GT3 is a work of art on the racetrack...especially the GT3 4.0. It is far too raw to be used as anything other than a weekend/track car IMO.

There are used GT3's out there for the mid to upper $70's now and I think that is an absolutely great buy. Hell, I just sold my 997 Turbo with 37K miles and CPO warranty for $69K. I bought my CaymanS brand new but all the others were bought used. Will never buy a Porsche brand new again.

I am not saying the M3 is the Holy Grail either...What I am saying is that at it's price point, I cannot find anything that compares to it in terms of DD ability, performance, creature comforts, build quality and utility that can also be used on a track for HPDE's.

You made a terrific choice in the M3. It is a wonderful machine at $65K. I am going back to a DCT E92M3 because of what I just said above (just bought Roman from ESS personal car from ESS).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #113
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Cool and great on you for being able to drive them. The GT3 is a work of art on the racetrack...especially the GT3 4.0. It is far too raw to be used as anything other than a weekend/track car IMO.

There are used GT3's out there for the mid to upper $70's now and I think that is an absolutely great buy. Hell, I just sold my 997 Turbo with 37K miles and CPO warranty for $69K. I bought my CaymanS brand new but all the others were bought used. Will never buy a Porsche brand new again.

I am not saying the M3 is the Holy Grail either...What I am saying is that at it's price point, I cannot find anything that compares to it in terms of DD ability, performance, creature comforts, build quality and utility that can also be used on a track for HPDE's.

You made a terrific choice in the M3. It is a wonderful machine at $65K. I am going back to a DCT E92M3 because of what I just said above (just bought Roman from ESS personal car from ESS).

i agree with what you are saying. the m3 isnt the holy grail but it feels so damn good to me both on the street and at the track that i havent had much desire to have anything else and really want to keep this thing for the long haul. i bought slightly used in 08 for 56 which i thought was a good deal. i do now covet a 997 gt3 and have been looking but will probably wait as i dont have the money now(new house/new wife). it would be in addition not instead of my m3.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 10-05-2012 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #114
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
LOL. There are two major things I miss about my M3. Nothing beats the sound of the V8 at 8,000+ rpm. And I miss the thick steering wheel of the M3.

The electric steering isn't really a big deal. Just stay away from the power steering plus option - that's the one that kills low speed feel (and what every press car tested has as stock). At the track, and in regular driving, the steering of the Porsche is amazingly accurate, and when you're on the track, you'll just marvel at how accurate it is.
Totally agree. The 991 steering is very accurate and responsive. It's just let down by the feedback, which felt artificial to me. Agree on the steering wheel. I much prefer the thicker wheel on my M3 too! The signal stalk also felt kinda cheap. 911s need quite a bit of interior options to feel upmarket unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #115
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh;127****9
im actually a porsche fanboy also just have never been able to swallow the used gt3 price above a new m3 thing.
Don't think u qualify as one Much as u like Porsches, u are still balanced enough in your views on these cars!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #116
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:

My goodness, u practically get to drive your 911 Turbo for free?!!! Sounds like your new M3 is supercharged?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #117
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Don't think u qualify as one Much as u like Porsches, u are still balanced enough in your views on these cars!
thank you. im actually just a car fanboy, happen to be stuck in bmws at this point. actually recently had a conversation with a guy about his ls3 powered toyota supra. i dont discriminate. cars are just cool, and my wife thinks im crazy.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #118
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
You guys that say you are Porsche fanbois as well, I have a question for you. Have you ever owned a 911 or Boxster or Cayman of any kind? I have...and have owned plenty (look at my signature line). Yes, they are fantastic cars but I have to tell you, they are not all that. Each and every one that I have owned felt so light and "floaty" at anything north of 130 mph. The 997 Turbo is an amazing car and has crazy amounts of performance. But that car stickers for $140K....One hundred forty thousand dollars!!! I bought a four year old one for $70K even. Would pay that amount of money all day long for that car. But I'm sorry man, that car is not worth $140K brand new. It just isn't. A 991S is going to cost you a minimum of $125K. Can you seriously sit there and say that it is worth nearly TWICE what a new M3 is going to cost you? Or is worth $30K more than a GTR? GTFOH!!!!!
The reason that Porsches cost so much isn't that they are absolutely worth so much more. It has to do with their customizability from the factory. Any time you have a high end product that also offers a high degree of customizability, it is going to significantly elevate the costs. Look at all the ways you can configure a new Porsche. Most even have 3-4 options for type of seat. You have wheel choices, suspension choices, brake choices, an almost fully customizable interior, etc, etc. This adds inherently to the development, inventory and production costs. If Porsche was like the Nissan GTR and came in one or two basic configurations and nothing more, they would cost a lot less.

Oh....and they do add another $10k for the name, but that I can live with.
      10-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #119
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
My goodness, u practically get to drive your 911 Turbo for free?!!! Sounds like your new M3 is supercharged?
That is exactly the way I view it. I did put about $3,000 in it with springs, painted center console and Softronic tune. But still I did very well on it from a cost standpoint. I wish I could have kept it and have the M3 as a DD. I wanted to maintain the warranty on the M3 so Roman is removing the ESS supercharger. Struggled long with the decision on what to do with the ESS.

Quote:
thank you. im actually just a car fanboy, happen to be stuck in bmws at this point. actually recently had a conversation with a guy about his ls3 powered toyota supra. i dont discriminate. cars are just cool, and my wife thinks im crazy.
Agree with Clar here. You are just like the majority of us on here....just car fanbois. A select few are not.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #120
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Agree with Clar here. You are just like the majority of us on here....just car fanbois. A select few are not.
except for those gtr and 335 guys. we gotta hate on them.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #121
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
That is one of the most balanced and honest reviews I've ever read on here. I'm sure accurate as well. Thanks
Agreed!

Now, pics of said 911S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #122
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
except for those gtr and 335 guys. we gotta hate on them.
That's because us GTR owners are so damn charming!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #123
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
That's because us GTR owners are so damn charming!
could be. i love the gtr also for what it is. few mods and brutally fast. probably the fastest feeling car ive ever been in. not sure i could ever pull the trigger on one though.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #124
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
That is exactly the way I view it. I did put about $3,000 in it with springs, painted center console and Softronic tune. But still I did very well on it from a cost standpoint. I wish I could have kept it and have the M3 as a DD. I wanted to maintain the warranty on the M3 so Roman is removing the ESS supercharger. Struggled long with the decision on what to do with the ESS.

I still can't get over the fact that u sold you turbo...It must have been an earth shattering experience driving that car esp with the tune I would love to get my hands on a 997 Turbo with pdk, but those things cost my left nut and right kidney over here even when used.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #125
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I still can't get over the fact that u sold you turbo...It must have been an earth shattering experience driving that car esp with the tune I would love to get my hands on a 997 Turbo with pdk, but those things cost my left nut and right kidney over here even when used.
It was a blast to drive but I have to tell you I was always in fear of getting caught speeding and going to jail. It got to super fast speeds in no time. As I said earlier, you can really feel the lightness in the front end. I was coming home from Summit Point raceway and had the car at 140 mph and it felt like the front end was floating...pretty scary. I have said before that with the additional weight of the M3, it feels more stable at 120-140 mph.

The above wasn't my reason for selling. I was tired of driving my 4Runner as my DD and really missed driving my former E92M3 as my DD. Need to have the 4Runner for bad weather and hauling the dog so it was not an option to have all three plus my wife's X5.

Prices of these cars in places outside of the US just astounds me. Don't fret though...you are driving a helluva car in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #126
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Very simple, he claims to drive an M3 every time, but comes in rattling on and on about Porsche non stop. What kind of M3 driver would drive an M3, but thinks so little of it and thinks Porsche is the best thing since slice bread? There has only ever been one...
Would you like to see pictures of it? I sure do have an M3...but at the same time do not think it is infallible or perfect, nor do I think little of it by any means. I wouldnt have bought it if I had.
Thinking Porsche makes an incredible car by no means signifies that I think they are the end all be all of cars. I appreciate the products the make and the colored history they have as both a marque high end sports car maker, and their colorful history in motorsports racing.

@alms211 - Take a quick read here.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html

If Porsche doesnt hold much cache (not cashe) in your book, no problem. It's only your opinion anyway. I think differently...even though I am a huge fan of Lamborghini as well and have an appreciation for Ferrari and almost any car from Mustangs to Paganis. Seems that even Lamborghini and McLaren cant match a little ol' Carrera S in terms of driving dynamics...so much for cache.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 10-05-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #127
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Would you like to see pictures of it? I sure do have an M3...but at the same time do not think it is infallible or perfect, nor do I think little of it by any means. I wouldnt have bought it if I had.
Thinking Porsche makes an incredible car by no means signifies that I think they are the end all be all of cars. I appreciate the products the make and the colored history they have as both a marque high end sports car maker, and their colorful history in motorsports racing.

If Porsche doesnt hold much cache (not cashe) in your book, no problem. It's only your opinion anyway. I think differently...even though I am a huge fan of Lamborghini as well and have an appreciation for Ferrari and almost any car from Mustangs to Paganis. Seems that even Lamborghini and McLaren cant match a little ol' Carrera S in terms of driving dynamics...so much for cache.
What Porsche have you even owned to have this Obama tingle up your leg love for them?

I stopped reading that horseshit trash rag after the first paragraph....."8 of the 9 cars are supercars"....yeah a Camaro and a Mustang are now supercars GMAFB

Cache has nothing to do with how fast a car is or its driving dynamics. If that were the case then a Honda Civic that runs 9's in the quarter mile would have a shit load of cache. If you sit a Ferrari F430, a Lambo Gallardo, an Aston Martin Vantage and a Porsche 911 side by side and ask 1,000 people which of those cars carries more cache, has better looks, is deemed more exotic the only ones that are going to say a 911 are Kool Aid drinking Porsche fanbois.

The funny part about all of this is I think Porsches are fantastic cars. Otherwise I would not have owned four of them. I just get so fcuking sick and tired of your Holy Grail Porsche bullsh!t.

Last edited by alms211; 10-07-2012 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #128
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
could be. i love the gtr also for what it is. few mods and brutally fast. probably the fastest feeling car ive ever been in. not sure i could ever pull the trigger on one though.

Love mine. Have a tune and midpipe. One to make it go faster, one for better sound!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #129
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:

Can't match Carrera S? U must be smoking some serious crack to say something like this? Seriously kid, u need to get a life. Maybe get yourself a dog or something...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #130
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
What Porsche have you even owned to have this Obama tingle up your leg love for them?

I stopped reading that horseshit trash rag after the first paragraph....."8 of the 9 cars are supercars"....yeah a Camaro and a Mustang are now supercars GMAFB

Cache has nothing to do with how fast a car is or its driving dynamics. If that were the case then a Honda Civic that runs 9's in the quarter mile would have a shit load of cache. If you sit a Ferrari F430, a Lambo Gallardo, an Aston Martin Vantage and a Porsche 911 side by side and ask 1,000 people which of those cars carries more cache, has better looks, is deemed more exotic the only ones that are going to say a 911 are Kool Aid drinking Porsche fanbois.

The funny part about all of this is I think Porsches are fantastic cars. Otherwise I would not have owned four of them. I just get so fcuking sick and tired of your Holy Grail Porsche bullsh!t.
The Ferrari and Lambo are in an exotic class well above what a Porsche 911 is. The only Porsche that classifies as an exotic is the Carrera GT. The AMV is a comparable car to the 991 Carrera S. This is only because Porsche has made it such a more complete and luxurious car. the 991 is truly elevated IMO compared to the 997. AMV is still tops on my list for my ultimate car.
      10-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #131
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:

First of all...very much dislike Obama...Ill leave it at that.

Ive owned a 996 911, 996 Turbo Cabrio and a Cayman S...and have been able to drive 997.2 GT3s on many weekends during the summer as my cousin owned one but was driven and kept mostly by me during this time.
I never said the 911 was the most exotic car. Short of a CGT, there isnt a Porsche that will garner more attention than a Ferrari or Lamborghini...but it also isnt supposed to at the same time.
I have been in my fair share of Gallardo and 458 Italias too and yes they garner a lot of attention but at the same time the people I know who own both a Porsche and a Ferrari never have better things to say about the Ferrari than the Porsche...just a matter of opinion.

Quote:
Can't match Carrera S? U must be smoking some serious crack to say something like this? Seriously kid, u need to get a life. Maybe get yourself a dog or something...
If you READ what I wrote, I said it cant match it in driving dynamics. Only one who needs to get a life is you buddy...if you dont like what I opine on, dont read it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #132
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
First of all...very much dislike Obama...Ill leave it at that.

Ive owned a 996 911, 996 Turbo Cabrio and a Cayman S...and have been able to drive 997.2 GT3s on many weekends during the summer as my cousin owned one but was driven and kept mostly by me during this time.
I never said the 911 was the most exotic car. Short of a CGT, there isnt a Porsche that will garner more attention than a Ferrari or Lamborghini...but it also isnt supposed to at the same time.
I have been in my fair share of Gallardo and 458 Italias too and yes they garner a lot of attention but at the same time the people I know who own both a Porsche and a Ferrari never have better things to say about the Ferrari than the Porsche...just a matter of opinion.

If you READ what I wrote, I said it cant match it in driving dynamics. Only one who needs to get a life is you buddy...if you dont like what I opine on, dont read it.
Can't match a C2S in driving dynamics? I drove the 991 C2S and it doesn't even impress me. I went into the test drive hoping to get it to replace my M3, but went away very disappointed. I wont take it over my E92 M3. Please don't tell me the Ferrari i have lusted all these years can't even match up to that? A 458 not matching up to a C2S? Ok, i rest my case...
Appreciate 0