BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

10-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #45
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
$8k? Isn't the BRZ msrp only another $300?
Base BRZ but the leather option, remote start and navi come only on their "limited edition" BRZ.

In terms of trans, don't get me wrong- I love a manual- but the auto isn't a bad option. Why do people hate on it so much?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #46
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
I haven't looked at a mini and haven't considered the g37. Lol it's pretty crazy how the opinions don't sway one way. I've pulled this same exact poll on google and on so many different forums, just like ours, the decision is a clear split one. I think the reality is that all of these cars have their strengths and weaknesses. In the end it's simply personal preference.

Hence here's my decision. I'm probably sticking with an FRS. Why? Simple- as much as I would like another powerful car as my daily, why would I need it? My M will be the power I want when I need it. Modifying the call is going to be cheap, and yes the interior may not the the best but in terms of aftermarket seats etc... There's enough choices if I want to go down that route.

Other things I considered, although I could get an evo or z for 17-20K, they're going to be used (with a min of 15k miles) and 9 times out of 10 they will have some wear (just the nature of these cars and how most people use them). I could get the frs for 22-23k new out the door, I'll still have warranty and when I get out of warranty ill just turbo or supercharge the car if I feel the need to do so (there will be cheap used kits out on the market by then). All in all, a cheap reliable option to have fun in while keeping my gas intake average for now.

FR-S can lack power/torque for the gentleman racers, but there are so many way to get more power from it. There countless higher/lower quality super- and turbocharger kits, and this after such a short time the car has been on the market. It is currently to most tuned new car on the market. NA kits are on their way too, it takes longer, their is less demand. If the FR-S is not the car, there are only two other possibilities: BMW M235i or Porsche Cayman S, eventually Alfa Romeo 4C, but they are coming later to the US, and as I heard are heavier then in EU.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #47
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
Base BRZ but the leather option, remote start and navi come only on their "limited edition" BRZ.

In terms of trans, don't get me wrong- I love a manual- but the auto isn't a bad option. Why do people hate on it so much?
The automatic isn't as fun to drive. It's a slush box and the car needs every hp it can get.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #48
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
FRS, hands down.

the 370z is garbage....badly made and vulgar. the FRS is definitely entertaining. get a Manual-----I drive 120 miles/day in and out of NYC...if i can do it, you can do it.

the FRS isn't about maximum speed---it's about enjoyment.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #49
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
I'm not sure I understand why somebody with a DCT M3 would want a newere 370z auto as a daily driver? It's going to cost you more than the depreciation on your M3 and it's a much less fun, refined, and fast car.
Maybe to him the M3 a non daily-drivable supercar?

Around here they're every fresh-outta-grad school 26 year-old's beater.
So glad I don't live in a college town where rich parents buy their kids everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #50
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

370 has E46 M3 power/torque and is smaller and lighter. The 350Z was a great track car and the 370 is much better in terms of suspension design. The FRS is a great car but stock for stock the 130hp and 120lb/ft torque deficit is significant.

Also: 0-60 is 4.6 for the Z and 6.0 for the FRS.

Drive both and decide for yourself. The EVO X SST has been pretty reliable from what i've seen and for a DD, that would probably be my vote unless sideways shenanigans is important to you -where i'd go with the Z then maybe the FRS (which is more like a miata in terms of low weight/power/great chassis).

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #51
buildbright
Major
Rep

It comes down to taste and what you like. I found the 370z to be a heavy poor handling car. The engine is worst I have came across in a long time. The FRS/BRZ is a little heavy priced then it should be but it feels well built and smooth.

On the street you will have more fun with the FRS/BRZ unless you want to drag race. It's more tossable, balanced, and dynamic.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #52
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Coming from an (ex) owner of a 2013 BRZ, don't buy one unless its your first sports car and you absolutely hate power, or unless if you plan on turbocharging.

Fantastic handling, nice options, but cheap build quality and a terrible engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #53
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Check out the 3.8 Genessis R-Spec though, 350HP, limited slip, FANTASTIC engine, feels like a mini ISF engine (Needs springs and swaybars though).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #54
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeKemper View Post
Coming from an (ex) owner of a 2013 BRZ, don't buy one unless its your first sports car and you absolutely hate power, or unless if you plan on turbocharging.

Fantastic handling, nice options, but cheap build quality and a terrible engine.

Not everybody has your driving skills. There are far more that drive 500 PS cars than those that can use 200 PS to full potential on track.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #55
robguenther13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Preordered 2014 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeKemper View Post
Check out the 3.8 Genessis R-Spec though, 350HP, limited slip, FANTASTIC engine, feels like a mini ISF engine (Needs springs and swaybars though).
I completely agree. Great car for the price.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #56
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
It comes down to taste and what you like. I found the 370z to be a heavy poor handling car. The engine is worst I have came across in a long time. The FRS/BRZ is a little heavy priced then it should be but it feels well built and smooth.

On the street you will have more fun with the FRS/BRZ unless you want to drag race. It's more tossable, balanced, and dynamic.
There aren't many modern sports cars that are lighter than the 370.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #57
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
you say perception is important but you are looking at a 370z...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #58
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

OP...why dont you sell the m3...buy a porsche cayman s or greater(preferably 911) then go lease a fairly base 335 or 435...You will really be happy then!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #59
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
There aren't many modern sports cars that are lighter than the 370.
When you say sports car you mean RWD only, correct? Not FWD or AWD sports cars?

If you meant RWD cars here are the ones off the top of my head.

Boxter
Cayman
Miata
RX8
Caterham 7
Ariel Atom
KTM Xbow
Mono
Honda S2000
Lotus (pick one)
Alpha Romeo 4c
BRZ/FRS
Z06 Corvette*

Last edited by buildbright; 10-20-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #60
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you say sports car you mean RWD only, correct? Not FWD or AWD sports cars?

If you meant RWD cars here are the ones off the top of my head.

Boxter
Cayman
Miata
RX8
Caterham 7
Ariel Atom
KTM Xbow
Mono
Honda S2000
Lotus (pick one)
Alpha Romeo 4c
BRZ/FRS
Z06 Corvette*
I should have added "currently in production"
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #61
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
I should have added "currently in production"
Boxter
Cayman
Miata
Caterham 7
Ariel Atom
KTM Xbow
Mono
Lotus (pick one)
Alpha Romeo 4c
BRZ/FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #62
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Boxter
Cayman
Miata
Caterham 7
Ariel Atom
KTM Xbow
Mono
Lotus (pick one)
Alpha Romeo 4c
BRZ/FRS
What's your point? You can add Porsche GT3, Radical, McLaren MP4-12C and many more to that list but those are way out of the price range, and the Miata/BRZ/FRS are slower than the 370. The Cayman and a 135i are decent comparisons but are quite a bit more expensive.

Are there better cars out there? Yes. Faster more track dedicated? Sure. But for the price, it's hard to beat the performance and potential of a 370.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #63
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Can anybody show me a fast 370Z? Never seen that before, but there are plenty fast FR-S/BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #64
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
What's your point? You can add Porsche GT3, Radical, McLaren MP4-12C and many more to that list but those are way out of the price range, and the Miata/BRZ/FRS are slower than the 370. The Cayman and a 135i are decent comparisons but are quite a bit more expensive.

Are there better cars out there? Yes. Faster more track dedicated? Sure. But for the price, it's hard to beat the performance and potential of a 370.
I didn't put in a super cars in that list so I don't know where that came from. My point is there are tons of sports cars that are lighter and in my opinion better cars.

You said there are few sports cars lighter. I gave you a list. You change it to current production cars. I gave you a list. Now you want cars that are the same price and have more power.

If someone is going to do mostly street driving the FRS/BRZ/Miata is a better car. If your wanting to learn to race FRS/BRZ/Miata is better car. It's best to learn on lighter, lower power, more organic cars.

After driving the new Nissan 370z lineup I can tell you my opinion is it was the worst sports car I have ever driven. The interior felt junky, the car felt heavy, and would just understeer unless you broke the rear tires loose. The engine revved so rough I thought it was blown up.

The nismo edition cost more then a 135i so they are similarly priced and the 135i can be made very fast cheap and has superior balance and handling. If you don't car about weight and just want power buy a V6 mustang or a 1le camaro which offer way more performance and bang for bang then the 370z ever could. I would still recommend a BRZ/FRS.

You may like the Nissan and I can respect that but there are better options out there in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #65
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't put in a super cars in that list so I don't know where that came from. My point is there are tons of sports cars that are lighter and in my opinion better cars.

You said there are few sports cars lighter. I gave you a list. You change it to current production cars. I gave you a list. Now you want cars that are the same price and have more power.

If someone is going to do mostly street driving the FRS/BRZ/Miata is a better car. If your wanting to learn to race FRS/BRZ/Miata is better car. It's best to learn on lighter, lower power, more organic cars.

After driving the new Nissan 370z lineup I can tell you my opinion is it was the worst sports car I have ever driven. The interior felt junky, the car felt heavy, and would just understeer unless you broke the rear tires loose. The engine revved so rough I thought it was blown up.

The nismo edition cost more then a 135i so they are similarly priced and the 135i can be made very fast cheap and has superior balance and handling. If you don't car about weight and just want power buy a V6 mustang or a 1le camaro which offer way more performance and bang for bang then the 370z ever could. I would still recommend a BRZ/FRS.

You may like the Nissan and I can respect that but there are better options out there in my opinion.
Supercars and both of your posts are as irrelevant to the OP as cars like an Elise, Atom, X-bow, etc... when looking for a relatively new DD.

If you want to learn how to race, a spec miata would be the best option (or Spec E30) until there's a big enough following in tracked FRS/BRZs. If you want a fun street car, you'd take the better balanced FRS, I would take the more powerful 370 (which can fit a very wide tire under it) and would personally enjoy the power and torque over an FRS. Actually I'd probably take a 5.0 Mustang over either.

Like the 135i, the 370 takes some upgrading to keep the cooling in check for sustained track cars. Some M3 owners are having similar problems on hot days and need upgraded oil coolers to do more than a few laps at a time.

At the end of the day, you know what they say about opinions and arguing on forums -we both gave ours and I disagree with a few that says the 370 is this horrid car. Because it's actually quite good. You can never have it all -power, lightness, torque, capability, price, etc... but IMO a the 370 is a fun street car that has a lot of potential.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #66
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Supercars and both of your posts are as irrelevant to the OP as cars like an Elise, Atom, X-bow, etc... when looking for a relatively new DD.

If you want to learn how to race, a spec miata would be the best option (or Spec E30) until there's a big enough following in tracked FRS/BRZs. If you want a fun street car, you'd take the better balanced FRS, I would take the more powerful 370 (which can fit a very wide tire under it) and would personally enjoy the power and torque over an FRS. Actually I'd probably take a 5.0 Mustang over either.

Like the 135i, the 370 takes some upgrading to keep the cooling in check for sustained track cars. Some M3 owners are having similar problems on hot days and need upgraded oil coolers to do more than a few laps at a time.

At the end of the day, you know what they say about opinions and arguing on forums -we both gave ours and I disagree with a few that says the 370 is this horrid car. Because it's actually quite good. You can never have it all -power, lightness, torque, capability, price, etc... but IMO a the 370 is a fun street car that has a lot of potential.
I respect your opinion. I think we just like different characteristics.

Yes 135i like a lot of factory cars really likes some more cooling, better brake pads and fluid but for most DE it is fine. You and I both know during HPDE it's so hard to really push the car as it seems you always get behind the slow car.
Appreciate 0