BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

06-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #133
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Just remember liberty or safety, can't have both (I choose liberty) and as we move more towards a rule/law driven society we've lost "common sense"... True story

I generally agree.

This is why we the citizens, voters, taxpayers, and most of all, participants in our communities, must begin to raise the issues of changing the 'rules of the road'.

There are very powerful interest groups that have driven us to where we are today. Our ability to change the traffic laws at the federal and state levels will require a consistent call to action and will require that some of these same powerful interest groups 'buy in' to the cause. These issues should include enhanced driver education, increased speed limits on state and federal highways, and elimination of tinted window tickets by requiring motorists to roll down all windows during a traffic stop.

In order to succeed we will need to address the safety concerns of legislators and our fellow citizens. This can occur by using the same tools that got us to our current state...use respected research institutions - academic, non-profit and nationally recognized policy institutes - to prove that the alternatives that are proposed can address reasonable safety concerns.

Chief
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #134
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksflatlander View Post
I can only imagine how stupid some people sound with some of the excuses they come with.
There were always entertaining stories and excuses. One that comes to mind instantly came form a woman passing on the shoulder.

I was parked near the edge of the roadway in a marked police car, clearly visible to all traffic. I watch in disbelief as a car is approaching me, on the shoulder, passing slower moving traffic in the travel lanes.

I stop the car. Upon questioning the driver states she knows passing on the shoulder is illegal and she did see the parked police car and then says she thought it would be OK because I (the police) were present.

She got the ticket.
      06-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #135
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth ///M
Just pulled over an 08 M3 w/ 72500 miles on the ticker. He said she was going strong with only a synchro in 2nd gear that needed replacing.

He was talking on the cell phone while driving.

I gave him a verbal warning.
Grrrrrr. I guess I'll start a thread "what are the symptoms of a synchro going bad?". See some of you over there .

--------- [edit] ----------
Never mind, I had a knee jerk reaction and fell victim to search laziness. A simple web search provides plenty of info.

And just to contribute to thread... My brother is a retired NJSP Sergeant. He always referred to NJSP as New Jersey's finest. Is that phrase common. For example, Pa State P, have you heard the term "Pennsylvania's Finest"? And is it used only for State P or also City P?

Thanks for all your hard work!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #136
600kris
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

It's a hard job and I appreciate all you guys do.
Ohh yeah enjoy the car too
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #137
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Like someone mentioned earlier – cops enforce the laws. They do not create laws. You cannot blame them for issuing any ticket, no matter how minor is violation. If anything law makers’ and lobbyists’ integrity should be kept in better check through rigorous set of checks and balances. Many laws are flawed. Take simple example of window tinting. Some SUVs come standard from factory with 15% tint on the back windows, yet passenger cars can be ticketed for anything below 35% on rear windows in those same states. What makes SUVs different? Why can an 18 wheeler drive the same speed limit as high performance super car on the freeway when its stopping distance is probably 4x as long as supercar with far more reaching potential for damage.

In reality it all comes down to states needing money and creating laws to generate revenue.

What I find silly is why do we need 16mpg gas guzzling crown vics, chargers, explorers and suburbans to patrol the highway and city streets? What is the annual cost to pay for all the gas for these cars? They almost never fully utilized the size of these cars. I see cops in suburbans with 3 rows of seating driving by themselves. It is not cops fault, but why are we funding this through our tax money? 2012 civic gets 40mpg, accelerates same as crown vic, can carry 5 adults and all the ammo and bullet proof vests in the back. Why not have jetta TDIs? Thye need Suburbans? How many times cops arrest 9 criminals at once that 3 rows of seating are needed? Not to mention there is always a backup with multiple vehicles convoy if there is a big drug bust. Why do fire chiefs drive around in expeditions? Why do so many government agencies use large 1-ton trucks and SUVs when they almost NEVER tow or carry hardly any weight in the bed? It is wasteful. I realize there are specifications that must be met, but why not revise those specs? Do cops really need to carry 700lb payload in their vehicles? Point is because of these things states need money (to pay for all those vehicles, gas and maintenance) and this is why we complain about $500 "11mph-over" ticket, when in reality it really should be a $150 ticket.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #138
Factoy Pilot
Factory Pilot
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez Blk ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 528i  [0.00]
2013 M328i  [0.00]
2011 M3  [6.00]
As a American living overseas, we should put autobahns in the US. I agree there are some dumbass drivers in the US, drinking&driving, texting or talking on their cells. That's what we get when you let 16 yrs olds drive. Hell, you can die for our country and not legally buy a beer, now that's jacked up. Try the earlier mentioned in Europe and you will get a steep fine, the same for tailgating. If we paid $2K to drive I bet you would think twice before doing something dumb on the roadways. Police should be worried about real crime and not sitting on the side of the road getting paid to watch for speeders. Put up a flash. IMHO.

A Retired Army Soldier

PS- Cudos for the men that keep us safe daily- Thank You
      06-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #139
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

I thought I would post this just for fun. One of the job hazards is other drivers crashing into police cars. This is one of mine. Other driver lost control while rounding a curve on a damp roadway and bent my car.
Attached Images

06-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #140
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
When I get a ticket, I just think about all the times I deserved one and there wasn't a cop around to give it to me. So I'm waaaaay ahead!!! Perspective helps the attitude, you know? I have gotten a fair amount of warnings with just a good attitude.

When pulled over I try to make it a non-stressful event for the cop - they have enough stress in the job they do. Be respectful and quickly just "own up". I can only imagine how stupid some people sound with some of the excuses they come with.

To all the cops here, thanks for doing a job I wouldn't want to do. Enjoy your M3 or whatever else you drive - glad to see you enjoying peaceful civilian life you work to provide to the rest of us.

By the way, the few tickets I have gotten I have been able to get reduced in court and have been able to maintain a completely clean driving record. The "system" isn't really that bad unless you just insist on persisting with something that is against the law.
I don't really give a shit about the cost of the ticket, but my insurance will go up $200-300/year for 6 years even if the ticket is for like 12mph over. This is where the injustice lies. Is going 12mph over the speed limit really deserving of a $1500 penalty?

And BTW.....oral sex is still illegal in some states IIRC.
      06-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #141
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I don't really give a shit about the cost of the ticket, but my insurance will go up $200-300/year for 6 years even if the ticket is for like 12mph over. This is where the injustice lies. Is going 12mph over the speed limit really deserving of a $1500 penalty?

You know who gives away free radar guns to PDs?

Insurance companies.

LOL.

Agree - the long term penalty is absurd.

I'm just glad there is still VASCAR in PA on secondary roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #142
ase93
ASE93
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I don't mind most of you guys except the one that gave me an 80 in a 45.. Yeah that sounds bad but it was an on ramp! I always thought the yellow speed signs were more like, this is what we call a safe speed for this slight bend? And then she came back to the car after looking at my license and registration and was like "I'm going to give you an 80 instead of the 81 I clocked you at." I was thinking to myself, "What do you want a thank you?" I however thought it was a bad idea so I held my tongue.
      06-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #143
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Not sure if this was asked yet. If so, I apologize. But why do most LEO's sport the mustache?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
because it looks good with a pair of Rayban aviators
Had to post this...one of my old time favorite bands and videos

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #144
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Yeaaah man..And they just got inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame..long overdue..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #145
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
When I get a ticket, I just think about all the times I deserved one and there wasn't a cop around to give it to me. So I'm waaaaay ahead!!! Perspective helps the attitude, you know? I have gotten a fair amount of warnings with just a good attitude.

When pulled over I try to make it a non-stressful event for the cop - they have enough stress in the job they do. Be respectful and quickly just "own up". I can only imagine how stupid some people sound with some of the excuses they come with.

To all the cops here, thanks for doing a job I wouldn't want to do. Enjoy your M3 or whatever else you drive - glad to see you enjoying peaceful civilian life you work to provide to the rest of us.

By the way, the few tickets I have gotten I have been able to get reduced in court and have been able to maintain a completely clean driving record. The "system" isn't really that bad unless you just insist on persisting with something that is against the law.

Guess I wasn't real clear - when I said "reduced in court" I didn't mean the cost of the ticket, I meant getting the charge reduced to something that is non-moving violation. Generally, this ends up costing MORE than the original ticket but keeps your record clean and insurance low so it's worth the extra dough.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #146
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 911, 16 Range Rover

I think the quality of people who work for law enforcement (local, not federal) in United States is quite low relative to other civilized developed nations. Just travel to Europe, Australia or Japan and one can notice the difference in courtesy and professionalism. I think the police has way too much as they work for us, not the other way around.

There are way too many examples where local police abused their power, corruption, racism and cronyism. And, to top it off, police unions defend their fellow cop even though their fellow officer was busted for abuse on camera. Remember the incident where a cop took an impounded Ferrari for joy ride and totaled it. Or the NYPD cop who was off duty and decided to rape a lady at gun point. Or gunning down random people.

In certain states, they are way overpaid with golden retirement plans which allow them to retire at an age of 45.

My question is how can a cop afford a $65,000 M3 with a median salary of $55,010 unless he or she is accepting bribes under the table or sucking public finances (Suffolk country for example).

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Protective-Se...detectives.htm

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...nSrez3fyqYZsPN

In my personal experience due to my brown skin (no matter how nice I am), I always get a ticket (78/65 wtf?) while my wife’s white cousins typically get warnings.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #147
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sali View Post
I think the quality of people who work for law enforcement (local, not federal) in United States is quite low relative to other civilized developed nations. Just travel to Europe, Australia or Japan and one can notice the difference in courtesy and professionalism. I think the police has way too much as they work for us, not the other way around.

There are way too many examples where local police abused their power, corruption, racism and cronyism. And, to top it off, police unions defend their fellow cop even though their fellow officer was busted for abuse on camera. Remember the incident where a cop took an impounded Ferrari for joy ride and totaled it. Or the NYPD cop who was off duty and decided to rape a lady at gun point. Or gunning down random people.

In certain states, they are way overpaid with golden retirement plans which allow them to retire at an age of 45.

My question is how can a cop afford a $65,000 M3 with a median salary of $55,010 unless he or she is accepting bribes under the table or sucking public finances (Suffolk country for example).

In my personal experience due to my brown skin (no matter how nice I am), I always get a ticket (78/65 wtf?) while my wife’s white cousins typically get warnings.
Dude, there's bad apples in EVERY profession. And who are you to judge whether or not a LEO can afford an M3? I'm an E7 in the Army and have a brand new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #148
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
Dude, there's bad apples in EVERY profession. And who are you to judge whether or not a LEO can afford an M3? I'm an E7 in the Army and have a brand new one.
It seems this profession has an disproportionate number of bad apples!

Btw, Armed forces have my respect for their sacrifice!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #149
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:

I've never bad mouthed anybody on any forum...EVER, but is this for real?
The fact I can afford(or any other LEO) an M3 can be attributed to positive money management. I've always valued money and prioritized and when it came time for purchases such as the one in question, the resources were there. As for "bad apples" I will reiterate what everyone else has said, there are questionable people everywhere and in every profession. I've learned through your very immature and juvenile post that there is AT LEAST one questionable person where you work as well. You've had bad experiences which fuel your haterade post. These experiences are not reflective of Law Enforcement in general except in your mind. Drive slower and get over it. Most importantly don't talk to the officer like a Dbag WHEN you do get pulled over. You might have better luck then.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #150
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I've never bad mouthed anybody on any forum...EVER, but is this for real?
The fact I can afford(or any other LEO) an M3 can be attributed to positive money management. I've always valued money and prioritized and when it came time for purchases such as the one in question, the resources were there. As for "bad apples" I will reiterate what everyone else has said, there are questionable people everywhere and in every profession. I've learned through your very immature and juvenile post that there is AT LEAST one questionable person where you work as well. You've had bad experiences which fuel your haterade post. These experiences are not reflective of Law Enforcement in general except in your mind. Drive slower and get over it. Most importantly don't talk to the officer like a Dbag WHEN you do get pulled over. You might have better luck then.
No offence but I was simply comparing typical median salary vs car cost

Of course, LE's work very hard during on duty.

Mistress claims wild romps with on-duty copMistress says Nassau cop spent overnight shifts shacking up at her place and other cops covered for him

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/u...#ixzz1x2UJ2imX

Or strip search any black guy driving an BMW

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/us...pagewanted=all
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #151
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sali
No offence but I was simply comparing typical median salary vs car cost

Of course, LE's work very hard during on duty.

Mistress claims wild romps with on-duty copMistress says Nassau cop spent overnight shifts shacking up at her place and other cops covered for him

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/u...#ixzz1x2UJ2imX

Or strip search any black guy driving an BMW

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/us...pagewanted=all
My departments top salary for a patrolmen is 118k is this year, with a 2% raise every year. Sgts make 125. Lts make 148. Capt makes 178. Chief..take a guess. It's all public knowledge.

I also receive a monthly disability payment from the VA from my service overseas, which by it itself pays for the M3. So realistically, my M3 is free...your tax dollars pay for it. Thanks!

On top of that, the M3 is a tax write off, for my business on the side.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #152
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Please show us the numbers proving that "many" (implying most) cops are corrupt and accept bribes, and compare that to the numbers of cops who are honest and just doing their job. Of course all the stories of corruption will get the media attention, and the honest Joe cop doing his regular duty every day doesn't get any time in the spotlight. What a wild assumption.

All I translated your post to mean was that you had a bad experience and now you're stereotyping every cop now because of it.
      06-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #153
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth ///M View Post
My departments top salary for a patrolmen is 118k is this year, with a 2% raise every year. Sgts make 125. Lts make 148. Capt makes 178. Chief..take a guess. It's all public knowledge.

I also receive a monthly disability payment from the VA from my service overseas, which by it itself pays for the M3. So realistically, my M3 is free...your tax dollars pay for it. Thanks!

On top of that, the M3 is a tax write off, for my business on the side.
If you were hurt serving overseas then I have no problem with "my" tax dollars paying for your M3. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #154
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Please show us the numbers proving that "many" (implying most) cops are corrupt and accept bribes, and compare that to the numbers of cops who are honest and just doing their job. Of course all the stories of corruption will get the media attention, and the honest Joe cop doing his regular duty every day doesn't get any time in the spotlight. What a wild assumption.

All I translated your post to mean was that you had a bad experience and now you're stereotyping every cop now because of it.
You missed that they hate brown people also.

I'm sure Sali's huge chip on his shoulder comes shining through and results in never getting out of a ticket.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread