BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

05-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #67
PeteM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Reporting in.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #68
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Just saw this on Liveleak..what do you Gentleman LOE think about the whole scenario, how the cop acted, etc?! At lest he didn't give him a ticket!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=880_1337710617
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #69
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
Just saw this on Liveleak..what do you Gentleman LOE think about the whole scenario, how the cop acted, etc?! At lest he didn't give him a ticket!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=880_1337710617
Oh come on, are you going to post every dickhead cop video? Give me a break.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #70
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
[rant] Knock it off with the chicken shit no front license plate, tint, jaywalking tickets, etc. Contrary to most people here, I've yet to meet a cool cop, but I know they're out there somewhere (maybe its a california thing, or plain bad luck). I've deserved only one ticket I received, otherwise I've been badgered because of the car I drive and nothing more. "Your speed and everything was fine, just your tint is too dark." Really? Nothing better to do than to dangerously weave through traffic to save society from the deleterious 25% tint!? Everyone will sleep better knowing there will (really won't) be 2 more tinted windows off the street. Great work guys, give yourself a pat on the back and go park your motorcycles by the elderly home to catch some jaywalkers.[/rant]

On one hand I have so much respect for law enforcement because of what they're SUPPOSED to do, and so little because of what they've actually done (in my experience). At the same time, my house and car haven't been robbed, so I guess a thanks is in order for that. From the posts I've read on this thread, it sounds like we've got some pretty rational officers of the law in our midst, and I'd hate to put them in this group– and I won't do so. I thank you guys for your service, as I know it's an extremely difficult job with incalculable risk where your actions are constantly under a microscope. How about evangelizing the good word of reason and common sense to your co-workers to wise-up and cut this shit out? I've always wondered how the reasonable individuals in law enforcement look at their co-workers who clearly abuse their power.

Much appreciated.
      05-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #71
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnex View Post
[rant] Knock it off with the chicken shit no front license plate, tint, jaywalking tickets, etc. Contrary to most people here, I've yet to meet a cool cop, but I know they're out there somewhere (maybe its a california thing, or plain bad luck). I've deserved only one ticket I received, otherwise I've been badgered because of the car I drive and nothing more. "Your speed and everything was fine, just your tint is too dark." Really? Nothing better to do than to dangerously weave through traffic to save society from the deleterious 25% tint!? Everyone will sleep better knowing there will (really won't) be 2 more tinted windows off the street. Great work guys, give yourself a pat on the back and go park your motorcycles by the elderly home to catch some jaywalkers.[/rant]

On one hand I have so much respect for law enforcement because of what they're SUPPOSED to do, and so little because of what they've actually done (in my experience). At the same time, my house and car haven't been robbed, so I guess a thanks is in order for that. From the posts I've read on this thread, it sounds like we've got some pretty rational officers of the law in our midst, and I'd hate to put them in this group– and I won't do so. I thank you guys for your service, as I know it's an extremely difficult job with incalculable risk where your actions are constantly under a microscope. How about evangelizing the good word of reason and common sense to your co-workers to wise-up and cut this shit out? I've always wondered how the reasonable individuals in law enforcement look at their co-workers who clearly abuse their power.

Much appreciated.
In all fairness we live in one of the nicest and safest places in the world! Lets be honest, there really is no crime to speak of in our town so they need something to do! I have lived here my whole life and every run in with the law has been pleasant. Then again I always go out of my way to be respectful and let the officer know how much I appreciate their work.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #72
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
You f@cking rebel!
I know, seriously man. I would have gotten one if the motorcycle cop wasn't already writing one to a guy atleast in the 70s (I wish I was embellishing, but true story). On an empty road by the train station, so they just started picking people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
In all fairness we live in one of the nicest and safest places in the world! Lets be honest, there really is no crime to speak of in our town so they need something to do! I have lived here my whole life and every run in with the law has been pleasant. Then again I always go out of my way to be respectful and let the officer know how much I appreciate their work.
That we do, then my suggestion would be to cut back on the #s of officers if that's the case? But something tells me there's real police work to be done that gets ignored. How about finding the a-hole who stole my camera out of a friends car? 2 of my bikes? Not a godamn word about it. If it's a matter of keeping busy, I think solving those kinds of crimes would be more of a direct benefit to society than parking behind the Stop-n-Go to catch someone not wearing a seatbelt (that's Darwin's job, stay out of it). Regardless, in every dealing with officers, I've never been anything but smile on the face, 100% compliant, and "yes officer, of course officer, my apologies officer". If I'm doing something wrong, I'm all ears
      05-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #73
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:

Much appreciated.
LOL.

"I'm so pissed that cops pull me over for my illegal tint and illegal lack of front plate!"

Nice temper tantrum.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #74
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Quote:

Much appreciated.
Over the course of my career I have arrested:
1) Bank Robbers
2) Armed Robbers
3) Thieves (including auto) and Shoplifters
4) People who have committed simple and aggravated assaults, including acts of domestic violence
5) Burglars
6) People committing various weapons offenses
7) People on outstanding warrants
8) Drug offenders. Large and small quantity offenders.
9) Drunk drivers. My personal best was 23 in one year.

I was a fatal accident team investigator.
My personal best for criminal arrests was 83 in one year (that was an exceptional year).

I also issued traffic tickets for may offenses. And yes, I issued tickets for tinted windows, failure to display a front tag, tinted coverings over the tags, loud exhaust (I lost count of how many Harleys I wrote), littering, and parking in the fire zones. There is nothing chicken-shit about these tickets. That are valid laws and subject to enforcement like any other.

Last edited by Dave2; 05-23-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #75
TheDeliverator
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A Singularity

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was an EMT and worked on ambulance and in an ER for 7 years of my life.

I've seen Officers do amazing work and I've seen a few despicable acts as well. In sum, the good work far out weighs the bad.

EMS and Police work together far more then the ordinary citizens understand. I'd say an average 12 hour shift in the ER I worked with about 10 officers a day. Patients from car accidents, homeless, domestic violence, the list of reasons would make for a loooong post no one would read. There is far more to being an Officer then writing tickets. As other have said, treating an Officer with respect goes a long way.

Injured Officers (even those I counted as friends), didn't receive a better level care from me, but then everyone one of my patients deserved the best I had. I've been extended professional courtesy more then once. I never asked for or expected it... but I was always most grateful.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #76
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Just remember liberty or safety, can't have both (I choose liberty) and as we move more towards a rule/law driven society we've lost "common sense"... True story
      05-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #77
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

First of all, I expected a thread of M3 police cars lol.

To echo the comments of many others, I appreciate the work of our LEO's, thank you all. There are a few bad ones out there like in any profession, but the majority are not bad guys. Though I have to think that if departments would put up less speed traps (particularly in arbitrarily low speed zones) people would have an overall higher regard for police since that is the only encounter the vast majority of us have with police:traffic enforcement. I'm glad to see there are enthusiast officers on here that are cool with responsible spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #78
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Just remember liberty or safety, can't have both (I choose liberty) and as we move more towards a rule/law driven society we've lost "common sense"... True story
Amen brother
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #79
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
I know, seriously man. I would have gotten one if the motorcycle cop wasn't already writing one to a guy atleast in the 70s (I wish I was embellishing, but true story). On an empty road by the train station, so they just started picking people off.

That we do, then my suggestion would be to cut back on the #s of officers if that's the case? But something tells me there's real police work to be done that gets ignored. How about finding the a-hole who stole my camera out of a friends car? 2 of my bikes? Not a godamn word about it. If it's a matter of keeping busy, I think solving those kinds of crimes would be more of a direct benefit to society than parking behind the Stop-n-Go to catch someone not wearing a seatbelt (that's Darwin's job, stay out of it). Regardless, in every dealing with officers, I've never been anything but smile on the face, 100% compliant, and "yes officer, of course officer, my apologies officer". If I'm doing something wrong, I'm all ears
You are really missing the point of a police officer's job. They are not the legislators who make the laws. They are also not the judges who judge. Their job is simple: Law enforcement, whatever that law happens to be. If they choose to use discretion about certain matters, they may choose to, but that is certainly not an entitlement on the part of the offender.

Let me use a completely extreme example. If tomorrow, there was a federal mandate to arrest and detain all muslims, that's what the police would do because they are the enforcers of law, not the creators or the judges. Whether this is at all ethical or morally correct is not the issue, and it is not the officers job to make that determination.

Anyway, give the guys a break. You have no idea of some of the shit they actually do deal with. You seem to have no appreciation of how civil our society is kept by their mere presence. If you don't like a law, get pissed at the lawmakers and the lobbying groups that pay politicians to pass the laws, not the cops.
      05-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #80
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
of course people extrapolate what I say to a way broader scale to a complete contempt for officers. I mentioned several times that I appreciate what they do, and I know it's a ridiculously hard and often thankless job. I know it is merely their presence that deters a huge amount of crime, and allows us all to live the fortunate life we do.

I know what I'm doing with my tint is illegal, and not having a front plate is illegal. I understand this, and in no way feel entitled to not get a ticket for it. Given the status of LA with the plethora of terrible/dangerous drivers and endless crime, is that really a priority? It's absolutely the officers discretion to pull me over or not, and I also understand this. My point is that pulling someone over exclusively for that seems highly unnecessary, and primarily an attack on our wallets. If someone is being a hazard/speeding/uncooperative, then by all means pull them over and tack on all the fix-it tickets you can muster up. Unless someone has limo tint on their windows or a straight piped car and being a menace to the people around them, then I think everyone on the road would love the officers to rather pull over the idiots driving below the speed limit in the fast lane and causing traffic.

Thats it. Not an attack on the officers of the law, just the ones who lack, what I would say, proper discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
You are really missing the point of a police officer's job. They are not the legislators who make the laws. They are also not the judges who judge. Their job is simple: Law enforcement, whatever that law happens to be. If they choose to use discretion about certain matters, they may choose to, but that is certainly not an entitlement on the part of the offender.

Let me use a completely extreme example. If tomorrow, there was a federal mandate to arrest and detain all muslims, that's what the police would do because they are the enforcers of law, not the creators or the judges. Whether this is at all ethical or morally correct is not the issue, and it is not the officers job to make that determination.

Anyway, give the guys a break. You have no idea of some of the shit they actually do deal with. You seem to have no appreciation of how civil our society is kept by their mere presence. If you don't like a law, get pissed at the lawmakers and the lobbying groups that pay politicians to pass the laws, not the cops.
      05-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #81
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
of course people extrapolate what I say to a way broader scale to a complete contempt for officers. I mentioned several times that I appreciate what they do, and I know it's a ridiculously hard and often thankless job. I know it is merely their presence that deters a huge amount of crime, and allows us all to live the fortunate life we do.

I know what I'm doing with my tint is illegal, and not having a front plate is illegal. I understand this, and in no way feel entitled to not get a ticket for it. Given the status of LA with the plethora of terrible/dangerous drivers and endless crime, is that really a priority? It's absolutely the officers discretion to pull me over or not, and I also understand this. My point is that pulling someone over exclusively for that seems highly unnecessary, and primarily an attack on our wallets. If someone is being a hazard/speeding/uncooperative, then by all means pull them over and tack on all the fix-it tickets you can muster up. Unless someone has limo tint on their windows or a straight piped car and being a menace to the people around them, then I think everyone on the road would love the officers to rather pull over the idiots driving below the speed limit in the fast lane and causing traffic.

Thats it. Not an attack on the officers of the law, just the ones who lack, what I would say, proper discretion.
If an officer was in the middle of a higher priority situation such as pursuing a felon, responding to a distress call, etc. I don't think they would stop to pull you over for your plate and tint. However, if they are in between the more serious and important tasks, then why shouldn't they?
      05-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #82
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
If I was a cop I wouldn't tell you.
      05-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #83
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about finding the a-hole who stole my camera out of a friends car?
i'll bet you're the guy that files a burglary/theft report for the camera with a vague description and no serial number and actually thinks something can be done.
you're shining really bright as someone who has no idea of what police work actually is. too much television.
      05-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #84
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPDPRT View Post
Then what does SDPD stand for?!?! lol
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #85
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
Quote:
If an officer was in the middle of a higher priority situation such as pursuing a felon, responding to a distress call, etc. I don't think they would stop to pull you over for your plate and tint. However, if they are in between the more serious and important tasks, then why shouldn't they?
They could probably get there faster? Stop a reckless driver in that time? I dunno, then you're probably right– a bird in the hand or 2 in the bush sort thing I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPDPRT View Post
If I remember correctly, you were the guy lobbying for cops to have Ms in another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'll bet you're the guy that files a burglary/theft report for the camera with a vague description and no serial number and actually thinks something can be done.
you're shining really bright as someone who has no idea of what police work actually is. too much television.
I don't pretend to know everything a cop does, and sure as hell don't base it on what's on TV (that I rarely watch, thank you very much). All I'm saying is that some seem to lack discretion, that's it. It's a OPINION based solely on MY experiences– I don't expect everyone to share my feelings (especially in a thread full of cops). To each their own eh?

And forget the camera, I chalked that thing up as gone the second I found it stolen. (even with serial # make and model provided... but thats besides the point)

I'm obviously not winning any favors by keeping this up, but yea. Thanks cops for everything you do, and lay off the jaywalking and tint tickets unless people really ask for it. (which probably makes me now given the facts there's SD cops in the midst. damn...)
      05-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #86
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
I know you are deliberately trying to take an extreme example, but this statement is shocking. I absolutely hope no officers have this attitude. Yes, it is an extreme case, but in this extreme case, I would certainly hope officers do their best not to comply. This attitude sounds exactly like Nazi germany.
      05-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #87
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

I hate jumping into this kind of discussion because both sides have some valid points. I will say that I understand professional courtesy etc but where I take exception is when LarThaL says "that's what the police would do because they are the enforcers of law, not the creators or the judges.". I view using that discretion to write a ticket or not as playing the role of judge and jury. This is really not a black and white discussion but can't have it both ways really, either the law was broken and a ticket needs to be written or the LEO is acting as a judge of sorts by choosing to not write a ticket.

Edit: And I am an active supporter of my local police and have not had a ticket in more than 20 years and never had an accident...

Last edited by kscarrol; 05-24-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #88
Maloney
Vroom
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I hate jumping into this kind of discussion because both sides have some valid points. I will say that I understand professional courtesy etc but where I take exception is when LarThaL says "that's what the police would do because they are the enforcers of law, not the creators or the judges.". I view using that discretion to write a ticket or not as playing the role of judge and jury. This is really not a black and white discussion but can't have it both ways really, either the law was broken and a ticket needs to be written or the LEO is acting as a judge of sorts by choosing to not write a ticket.

Edit: And I am an active supporter of my local police and have not had a ticket or accident in more than 20 years...
You are absolutely right, I agree 100%. They love to use the excuse "Well I didn't write the law, I just enforce them." Then why do you have the ability of discretion. Trust me, I like to get off with a warning with the best of them, but warnings are issued and discretion is used so that excuse doesn't cut it in my book.