BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
bigsurge
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Toronto oil change

Hey guys, I've called a few shops in the area and they seem to be either using Lubromoly or Fuchs both 10w60's as the temperatures are steadily decreasing do you guys have any recommendations/ pros and cons of using either brand of oil ?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
ResoKP
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I brought up the discussion about engine oils too here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167895

Still don't have a definitive answer..

I've been reading a lot regarding oils and many people seem to recommend the Mobile1 0W-40 for colder weather (but some also posted they went back to OEM).

For me personally, I'm thinking of just sticking with what BMW uses which is the M TwinPower Turbo 10W-60 (made by Shell) unless someone can confirm Fuchs is just as good, which, I'm guessing nobody has a clear answer to, given the lack of awareness of this brand in North America.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I am personally using M1 0W40 during the winetr and honestly it does it's job. I don't drive hard and cold start is MUCH better than 10w60. Also engine runs bit more smooth and studder less during cold starts (which many people that make the change to M1 0w40 would agree).

Did several UOA on the M1 0w40 used both during winter and summer, no anomalies and again, as many have experienced, slight drop in lead. (my OCI is around 7500km or half a year which ever comes first).

Vancouver is no where nearly as cold as Toronto, so using the 10w60 in severe Toronto winter cold weather might not be advantageous. If you must use the 10w60 i would rather leave the car at home and drive another vehicle. 0w40 definitely provides better protection on cold starts. If you're afraid of it not providing enough protection when your engine gets hot, just don't drive too hard or rev too crazily. Keep in mind that many members on here have used the 0w40 in track conditions and UOAs are still stellar, i am sure it should be fine.

As far as "Liqui Moly Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10w60," data shows that it is an EVEN thicker oil than the TWS or new BMW Shell forumla 10w60, so i suggest against using that. Also, do a quick search, some members have experienced negative experience with this oil (versus the M1 0w40, i hardly recall anyone having issues besides maybe one or two members says that the ticking of the engine sounds more noticable).

Dont have experience on Fuchs. Good Luck and Cheers!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
bigsurge
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Thanks for the responses, I dont plan on driving the car during the winters or when the temps drop to the point I need a jacket ahah, would you still recommend M1 in those conditions ?
Appreciate 0