BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

04-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #23
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
It happened.....
Very nice! Love to hear a review. I am a huge fan of the wagon.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
That is bad ass. I love it!

I've seen exactly two CTS V wagons on the road. Talking about "dare to be different!" I've seen a few sedans, but the wagon is killer to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
Very nice! Love to hear a review. I am a huge fan of the wagon.
OK, so I'm a BMW guy through and through. I will be getting another M3 for my next lease for sure....just wanted to get that out of the way.

Initially I kind of hated the CTS-Vs. I didn't like the styling at all and I particularly didn't like the coupe. After looking at them in person for a few days, they grew on me and I honestly thought this would never happen. In particular, the black on black with black wheels and yellow calipers is to me at least, the only way to do the CTS-V in any of the three models. The cars look badass with this combo. The chrome wheels and other colors just don't do it for me.

I think the magazine performance/reviews do a better job of comparing the CTS-Vs and describing their performance than I can, but here's my 2 cents.

The engine has a 1,500 mile break in period so I haven't got a chance to really get on it....except I slipped once. All I can say is that the LS-A is a beast of an engine. The torque available immediately is just ridiculous as compared to the E9X. Maybe with a daily driving, stop light to stop light perspective, the CTS-V is faster, but I think I'd rather have the E9X engine particularly for track use. So far, I still prefer my E92 to the CTS-Vs all day long. The steering in the CTS-V is not heavy enough which makes the CTS-V feel like the heavier car it is. I don't know how BMW does it, but the M3 has a special feeling that is hard to describe other than to say it feels more nimble at all speeds. The CTS-V is an auto with paddle shift, so I can't comment on my manual M3 vs. manual CTS-V. Fit and finish is of course a BMW win. Styling is subjective. We removed the roof rails and will be adding tint this weekend which should complete the look. An axle back exhaust may also be added in the future. If we ever get the CTS-V out on track, that will be the true test for me.

The wagon is the most unique/rare of the CTS-Vs, there is only one at each dealership and that is partly why we got it. My wife hauls some stuff around with her, but we have no kids, so I'm not sure that the wagon was a practical purchase. I mean who needs a 556 bhp wagon....I guess we do.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
sumbiz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911

That's interesting about your remarks with steering. Most magazines liken the V steering to Porsche which I agree (own one). The M3 steering just feels a little to soft but I'm betting the Competition Package makes it better.

I'm a fan of the V and station wagons so the V wagon ticks all the right boxes. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #26
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Congrats!

I've been seeing a few in my rear view mirror lately and they look really mean from the front.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #27
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota_troll View Post
That's interesting about your remarks with steering. Most magazines liken the V steering to Porsche which I agree (own one). The M3 steering just feels a little to soft but I'm betting the Competition Package makes it better.

I'm a fan of the V and station wagons so the V wagon ticks all the right boxes. Congrats!
Perhaps when the break in is complete, I'll get an opportuntity to drive it a little harder to see if the steering feel changes. I'm not sure if it's got speed adjusted boosted steering or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #28
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Ohhhhh and one other thing I forgot to mention:
The automatic gets hit with the $1,300 gas guzzler tax....TWICE! It cost us an additional $2,600 for this thing....just ridiculous. The manual just gets hit once.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #29
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

I love cadi's pearl white.. zomggg

nice pick up!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Here's a shot of the Recaro seats and super-sunroof:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
Sean@Alpine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
It happened.....
Awesome CTS-V!

They're great cars.

Thanks for the info in regards to the lease deals.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #32
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

I've been toying around with the idea of dropping my M3 and getting one of these but I drove one extensively yesterday and I just couldn't get over the fact that the seats, steering and the brakes are crap compared to the M. Sure it blows it out of the water in pure speed but the comforts weren't there. Guess I'm keeping the M for a bit longer
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
I've been toying around with the idea of dropping my M3 and getting one of these but I drove one extensively yesterday and I just couldn't get over the fact that the seats, steering and the brakes are crap compared to the M. Sure it blows it out of the water in pure speed but the comforts weren't there. Guess I'm keeping the M for a bit longer
The engine and acceleration of the CTS-V are great. It can be argued that the brakes are better in the CTS-V. However, it does not have the same feel as the M3. I will not be getting a CTS-V for myself. The M is a much better car, all-around.
Appreciate 0