BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Performance Friction Direct Drive Rotors 2-piece Rotors

Description

The Performance Friction Direct Drive Rotor is a direct 2-piece rotor replacement for the E82 BMW 1M. They are designed to be used with the factory caliper, with no other parts or modifications necessary. Kit includes everything needed (rotor, hat and hardware) for a single rotor replacement. Priced per rotor. PFC Pads suggested - check pad-clearance before using with any other manufacturer pads.

2-piece rotors offer better cooling over a one-piece design. Performance Friction's full floating Direct Drive attachment system allows the brake disc to naturally expand/contract on both radially and axially without being constrained by the hub. This helps eliminate rotor warping, vibrations and pulsations. Due to the high quality of Performance Friction's design and manufacturing, the Direct Drive rotors are completely silent and rattle-free - a trait typically found in many competitor's 2-piece designs. The hat assembly is completely reusable - no need to buy the entire rotor again! And, because the rotor is designed for use with the factory caliper, you can still use your favorite Performance Friction brake pads!

Technical Information

- High Carbon Alloy with copper and molybdenum for high temperature strength and durability.
- Vanes turned OD and ID for balance to reduce thermal warping and vibration.
- Runout less than .001 inches, reducing Pulsation and Vibration.
- Thickness variation less than .0003 inches reduces Pulsation and Vibration.
- 47 or more vanes for superior thermal capacity.
- Aircraft quality heat treated for micro structure alignment and durability.
- Surface finish less than .7 microns.
- 100% measured and inspected to meet tolerance specifications.
- 4.2 pounds lighter than OE rotor

For more information:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...5#post13681965
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 03-21-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

PFC DD rotors are awesome! I'm running PFC's BBK which uses their 372/371 mm DD rotors with Z31 4-piston calipers (larger front pistons, four pads/caliper). The dimples are great for the street (quiet) and awesome on the track!

This is a great upgrade to the stock braking system because of the DD floating rotor system, especially when coupled to PFC street (z-rated) or track pads (I've used 01, 03 and 05 pad compounds).

Nice addition
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
PFC DD rotors are awesome! I'm running PFC's BBK which uses their 372/371 mm DD rotors with Z31 4-piston calipers (larger front pistons, four pads/caliper). The dimples are great for the street (quiet) and awesome on the track!

This is a great upgrade to the stock braking system because of the DD floating rotor system, especially when coupled to PFC street (z-rated) or track pads (I've used 01, 03 and 05 pad compounds).

Nice addition
Good feed back!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Good feed back!
Have you seen PFC's new V3 mounting system? No fasteners are used to hold the ring in place! It looks like they've only released the V3 DD rotors to Porshce Factory Motorsport teams - PFC is their official brake tech partner! They've also developed a beautiful caliper for the new GT3 (991). They've also changed their logo and on the M3 brake kits the logo is machined into the caliper rather than using a decal after powdercoating! There's a green Z31 caliper on their FaceBook page

I hope at some point PFC releases the new V3 DD rotors for their M3 brake kit
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen PFC's new V3 mounting system? No fasteners are used to hold the ring in place! It looks like they've only released the V3 DD rotors to Porshce Factory Motorsport teams - PFC is their official brake tech partner! They've also developed a beautiful caliper for the new GT3 (991). They've also changed their logo and on the M3 brake kits the logo is machined into the caliper rather than using a decal after powdercoating! There's a green Z31 caliper on their FaceBook page

No, not yet. I am sure we will get these motorsport technologies on the next generation of the DD rotors soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Really interested in real life feedback on track with these rotors. The stock cross drilled is the culprit for increased wear on track. I go through a set of Pagid Yellows and PFC 08s in one weekend (or 3 days MAX). Not good!

Hoping these rotors will solve the issue of cheese grating the pads in conjunction to better vane design for cooling.

Awaiting update.

Thanks,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
I go through a set of Pagid Yellows and PFC 08s in one weekend (or 3 days MAX). Not good!
Really? Are you using R compound tires or slicks? I find that the PFC-08's to be very durable and my car is only 300# less, though I am using street tires. I'll have to check my notes but I think I have 5 weekends on mine with lots of pad left.
Maybe I'm easy on my brakes - or I'm slow.
      08-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
Really? Are you using R compound tires or slicks? I find that the PFC-08's to be very durable and my car is only 300# less, though I am using street tires. I'll have to check my notes but I think I have 5 weekends on mine with lots of pad left.
Maybe I'm easy on my brakes - or I'm slow.
I agree, I've never heard of PFC 08s being worn down in one weekend or 3 days? Maybe Open Track Days?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really interested in real life feedback on track with these rotors. The stock cross drilled is the culprit for increased wear on track. I go through a set of Pagid Yellows and PFC 08s in one weekend (or 3 days MAX). Not good!

Hoping these rotors will solve the issue of cheese grating the pads in conjunction to better vane design for cooling.

Awaiting update.

Thanks,

Lutfy
Brake pad compounds are designed to operate within a certain temperature range. Even race pads are. When the pad is overheated to a temperature above what the material was designed to handle(often happen on the track)- it will wear at an excessive rate and crumble.

With better cooling of these DD rotors your pads will likely to stay within their temperature range, thus longer wear and more consistent braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Awaiting update.

Thanks,

Lutfy
I'm using PFC's M3 Z31 brake kit, which uses F 372 mm, R 371 mm DD rotors, with PFC 01 pads and either PFC 665 or Prospeed RS683 brake fluid. The dimple surface on the rotor does an excellent job of keeping the surface clean and preventing glazing of the pad surface. It's hard for me to compare wear rates due to different caliper (uses four pads/caliper) and rotor setups/sizes, however, I'm able to get multiple weekends out of a set of 01 pads, which have a higher wear rate than the 08 compound.

Based on my own experience with PFC DD rotors I'd say the PFC stock-sized DD rotor would out perform the OEM F rotor - a big difference is the PFC rotor is a true floating rotor whereas the OEM rotor has a steel pin in an aluminum hub and steel rotor. For the OEM rotor to slide it must over come friction on the pin and any initial load due to interference fit of the pin. Also, the coefficient of thermal expansion of Alum is > 2 times the CTE of steel so the pin friction in the Alum hub will increase as the temperature increases - this means only the Steel pin-rotor is the only side that may "float" when it over comes pin friction...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Great rotors. Have them on my E36 M3 for over 20,000 miles and run them on the FXMD Time Attack NSX.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've send them an email if the V3 rotors are going to be available also as Direct Drive Rotors, but I still didn't receive any response.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
I've send them an email if the V3 rotors are going to be available also as Direct Drive Rotors, but I still didn't receive any response.
PFC is a bit slow on responding...You will have to keep bugging them.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

What is the thickness of these discs compared to stock pls?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
What is the thickness of these discs compared to stock pls?
Same thickness as they work with stock calipers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

Any pics of all this new gear??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Any pics of all this new gear??

Should have pics of the green Z31 kit installed in a couple of months - damn medical problems and then winter snow keeps getting in the way...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #18
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Anyone can provide real life feedback on track with these rotors?
I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on these rotors after reading a few negative reviews on this forum.
One had them completely cracked, two others had balancing issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Just installed my set this past weekend for Road Atlanta this coming weekend. Will report back. New discs with Pagid rs-19s front and rear (my favorite pad) and I have brake cooling ducts (I'm able to get fade with this set up on stock rotors).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot
Anyone can provide real life feedback on track with these rotors?
I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on these rotors after reading a few negative reviews on this forum.
One had them completely cracked, two others had balancing issues.
I'm one of those who had balancing issues, and have since had confirmation from PF that it was a manufacturing fault.

Otherwise, they should in theory work better than the OEM disc in terms of cooling.

If you do get a set, just make sure that the mechanic measures runout, which should be standard practice for brake disc installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #21
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Just installed my set this past weekend for Road Atlanta this coming weekend. Will report back. New discs with Pagid rs-19s front and rear (my favorite pad) and I have brake cooling ducts (I'm able to get fade with this set up on stock rotors).
Sounds great. Looking forward to your feedback after this coming track weekend
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
I'm one of those who had balancing issues, and have since had confirmation from PF that it was a manufacturing fault.

Otherwise, they should in theory work better than the OEM disc in terms of cooling.

If you do get a set, just make sure that the mechanic measures runout, which should be standard practice for brake disc installation.
I will be installing rotors myself. Can you elaborate on measuring runout please?
Appreciate 0