BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM

02-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Move the car to US with me or sell?

I am moving to the US this spring, for at least couple of years, and I'm not sure what to do with my M3.

Taking it there would be the easiest route but it is much cheaper there than here, plus the cost of moving, so it will probably be destroying $10K+. I also will be getting an SUV, so no reason to stick with such a big car for fun. The benefit is that it's sorted out exactly the way I want it (brakes, suspension), and I can just drive it without worries, plus track it from time to time.

Another option is to sell M3 and buy something there. The problem with this is that I want a gt3, and it's not out yet. Buying something to fill the void till the GT3 comes (a carrera S?) is probably a bad financial decision, as I'll lose a ton on depreciation and taxes. Even though I can afford it, doing something financially suboptimal would bug me too much (probably the reason I can afford it). I also will need to buy an SUV for the family, that would be way too much car buying and selling for one year, given a new baby and the move.

Another option is to sell M3, buy an SUV in US, and wait for the GT3, while doing some other form of performance driving, where I would not need to own the car, till the GT3 comes. This way is appealing because I am not sure how much performance driving I will be able to do with the baby and the move. But then I'm not sure what kind of performance driving I would do. I tried go-karts (indoor though) and did not really get hooked - very different from a car. Seemed to me that you needed to know exactly what to do in advance, instead of listening to the car and fine-tuning as you go, but it may be just my lack of experience with Karts...

I know that only I can find the answer, but it's interesting to see what others would do and if I'm missing something in my logic.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

First of all, good luck with the move and your journey bros. Was good meeting you.

My brother had this issue a long time ago when he moved to LA.
The problem with taking the car there, is that no one will want to buy it from you since its a Canadian car. The Canadian spec cars don't have mph on the speedos, so you technically might have to swap out the dash to the US unit, which is big $$$$. So you would probably have to sell it back in Canada. My brother ended up selling the car to someone in BC, but had to split the cost of shipping.

If you can swing it, sell it here, go and lease something really short term, or get something off lease busters in SF.

Good luck!!!!
      02-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks Pej! My car is a US car, so that problem should not apply. So you ended up getting 991 I figure - you alluded to it a couple of times
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Keep the M3 and buy a 1-2 year old Land Rover once you're in California (they depreciate like mad). Then get a GT3 once they come out. Rumour is that the car will be debuted at Geneva, with formal orders taken in March with late July/August deliveries (at least according to GTSpirit).

On a similar note, I may chicken out of buying a 991 GT3. The thought of totalling a $200K car makes me pretty queasy. I'm thinking i'll keep my 991S (particularly since it doesn't have the auto-revmatching feature), and getting a gen 2 Cayman S, strip, cage and mod it and make it my track car. You can get a good low mileage '09 Cayman S for around $35K, and with a few grand in mods, you've got something that will keep up with a 991 and you will save by not having to buy 20" R-comps.

Also, don't forget in California you've got some great tuners like Sharkwerks that can take something less than a GT3 and make you forget about a GT3.

Last edited by sawzall; 02-09-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Good luck with the move Max! I would say just take the M3 and enjoy it until you buy a GT3. No sense buying something short term and flipping it.

As far as the GT3 goes, lastest info I have seen:

•3.8L Integrated Dry Sump
•450bhp
•0-100kmh in 3.5s
•PDK only
•Ring lap time of 7:34
•Rear Steering [!]
•"Different" Side Mirrors
•Public release at the Geneva Show, along with official price list
•First cars will be MY14 with deliveries in Europe by year end

I am waiting anxiously for the launch at Geneva next month so hopefully a delivery date will be released for Canada. I was told that I shouldn't expect to take delivery until end of year at the earliest.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
and getting a gen 2 Cayman S, strip, cage and mod it and make it my track car. You can good a low mileage '09 Cayman S for around $35K, and with a few grand in mods, you've got something that will keep up with a 991 and you will save by not having to buy 20" R-comps.
That's exactly what I was thinking about when I testdrove cayman last fall, and you started talking me out of it. An interesting option. Decisions, decisions... I am also uneasy about tracking such an expensive car. With M3 I was justifying it by thinking that is something happens, I'd just gut it and make a track b!tch (or "race car") out of it. Luckily, it's still like new.

As for SUV, I'd probably get a Cayenne Turbo - you can get less than 2-year old one for just over 80 with all the options in states. One of the few benefits of living there, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking about when I testdrove cayman last fall, and you started talking me out of it. An interesting option. Decisions, decisions... I am also uneasy about tracking such an expensive car. With M3 I was justifying it by thinking that is something happens, I'd just gut it and make a track b!tch (or "race car") out of it. Luckily, it's still like new.

As for SUV, I'd probably get a Cayenne Turbo - you can get less than 2-year old one for just over 80 with all the options in states. One of the few benefits of living there, I guess.
I was only talking you out of if because of how much you talked about getting a GT3 (and I don't mind spending other people's money ). For me, it's an easier decision because i've got a 911 so I now know why it's such a great car. If I only had a Cayman, i'd always be wondering what a 911 is all about.

Another thing to consider is that if you get a GT3 now, you would be getting a gen 1 car, and you'll be kicking yourself when a gen 2 comes out. You might want to consider just getting a 991S for now (no power kit) and when the gen 2 GT3RS comes out, get that. That will give your 991S 3-4 years of breathing room. Trust me, even with a 991S, the difference in performance over the M3 is so vast, once you're in one, you'll still love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Good luck with the move Max! I would say just take the M3 and enjoy it until you buy a GT3. No sense buying something short term and flipping it.

As far as the GT3 goes, lastest info I have seen:

•3.8L Integrated Dry Sump
•450bhp
•0-100kmh in 3.5s
•PDK only
•Ring lap time of 7:34
•Rear Steering [!]
•"Different" Side Mirrors
•Public release at the Geneva Show, along with official price list
•First cars will be MY14 with deliveries in Europe by year end
I heard about the different side mirrors too. That's HUGE! The amount of buffeting that happens right now at high speed (150kph +) on the 991 is just ridiculous.

PS. Let us know when you're leaving. We should get together for a drink before you go!

Last edited by sawzall; 02-09-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Pej! My car is a US car, so that problem should not apply. So you ended up getting 991 I figure - you alluded to it a couple of times
In that case def take it with you.
Quote:
I was only talking you out of if because of how much you talked about getting a GT3 (and I don't mind spending other people's money ). For me, it's an easier decision because i've got a 911 so I now know why it's such a great car. If I only had a Cayman, i'd always be wondering what a 911 is all about.

Another thing to consider is that if you get a GT3 now, you would be getting a gen 1 car, and you'll be kicking yourself when a gen 2 comes out. You might want to consider just getting a 991S for now (no power kit) and when the gen 2 GT3RS comes out, get that. That will give your 991S 3-4 years of breathing room. Trust me, even with a 991S, the difference in performance over the M3 is so vast, once you're in one, you'll still love it.

I heard about the different side mirrors too. That's HUGE! The amount of buffeting that happens right now at high speed (150kph +) on the 991 is just ridiculous.

PS. Let us know when you're leaving. We should get together for a drink before you go!
Remind me not to ask you anything else about ordering my 991, LOL.
You told me the buffeting was not that bad????? I guess we need to swap out for GT3 mirrors when they arrive.

Auto Car just did a review of the new Cayman S. I'll link the youtube vid later, or just search for it. They loved it.

Last edited by STALKER; 02-10-2013 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

sell your M and buy a suv and then buy your dream car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
In that case def take it with you.

Remind me not to ask you anything else about ordering my 991, LOL.
You told me the buffeting was not that bad????? I guess we need to swap out for GT3 mirrors when they arrive.
The 991 is going to be a total disappointment for you. Without the powerkit, the car is gutless and is super squirrelly under braking. The steering is as numb as a corpse. The gearbox is super sloppy, and half the time you can't tell whether you're in 3rd or 7th. And the 4wd just adds so much weight you might as well drive a cabriolet.

Seriously though, the buffeting generally isn't a problem as long as you have your fan on or travelling at normal highway speeds. Although at 240kph, it's annoying as hell. I think the little passthrough in the GT3 mirrors reduces the amount of air from going straight into the cabin, which causes the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The 991 is going to be a total disappointment for you. Without the powerkit, the car is gutless and is super squirrelly under braking. The steering is as numb as a corpse. The gearbox is super sloppy, and half the time you can't tell whether you're in 3rd or 7th. And the 4wd just adds so much weight you might as well drive a cabriolet.

Seriously though, the buffeting generally isn't a problem as long as you have your fan on or travelling at normal highway speeds. Although at 240kph, it's annoying as hell. I think the little passthrough in the GT3 mirrors reduces the amount of air from going straight into the cabin, which causes the problem.
PDK it is then, lol.
      02-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Auto Car just did a review of the new Cayman S. I'll link the youtube vid later, or just search for it. They loved it.
I'm liking the idea of the new Cayman S... for occasional track days and twisty public back roads, it might just be the perfect combo of performance, weight, and price.

Any news on how the new Cayman compares to the new Boxster? Are they finally both equally stiff? If so, might be fun to consider a convertible again...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #13
cornutodeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: The Deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
I'm liking the idea of the new Cayman S... for occasional track days and twisty public back roads, it might just be the perfect combo of performance, weight, and price.

Any news on how the new Cayman compares to the new Boxster? Are they finally both equally stiff? If so, might be fun to consider a convertible again...
I haven't driven the new Cayman, but had the pleasure of driving the new Boxster at Mosport DDT last year. Incredible!
The new Cayman should be even better.....
I would buy that car over a 991 in a heartbeat. Half the money, twice the fun.
Link to short article I wrote for Provinz magazine. pg 34

http://pcaucr.org/wp-content/uploads...inzAug2012.pdf

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
I am moving to the US this spring, for at least couple of years, and I'm not sure what to do with my M3.

Enjoy your stay in California... San Francisco if I am right. I have spent quite a lot of time there. reat city and great surroundings.

It was great meeting, knowing and tracking with you.

BTW, don't fool yourself... you do not need an SUV!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post

Thanks Tony! It was nice tracking with you too! I'll be back, most likely before retirement :-). And I'll be happy to see any of you guys in SF.

As for SUV - I'd be happy with a wagon (S6 or 550i would do) as I need space for the stuff I need to haul around sometimes, but they don't sell any good ones North America. I looked at the new E63 wagon, but it comes with comically small wheels and way too low-profile tires. So I figured SUV is the only viable option, with the added benefit of being able to get me to more rock climbing and skiing destinations and possibly towing a trailer if I get a real track car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Enjoy your stay in California... San Francisco if I am right. I have spent quite a lot of time there. reat city and great surroundings.

It was great meeting, knowing and tracking with you.

Agreed, my wife has a X5. Damn thing is big, slow, boring and $$$$. Getting her a wagon next time.
      02-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

Another option is to sell M3, buy an SUV in US, and wait for the GT3, while doing some other form of performance driving, where I would not need to own the car, till the GT3 comes. This way is appealing because I am not sure how much performance driving I will be able to do with the baby and the move.
I think this is your best move ... you will be busy once the baby is born and much too tired in the first year or so to do any performance driving at all.

Also you are right ... in the end it is your decision ... its nice to not have to think about money (as you said you can afford it) ... In the end if you follow your last thought (above) you will have time to make the right decision.

Good luck with the move and of course the baby

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0