BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #89
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
You might not be aware of this, but there are now vehicles with over 200k miles on the original bearing:

Most of the bearing issues that happen on low mileage vehicles have to do with engine assembly at the plant. As long as the engine was assembled according to procedures, oem bearings are essentially a lifetime component.
I am aware of that as I follow all the bearing/engine/mileage threads. There are also many engines that failed at different mileage. One cannot use a single picture of a car with 200k miles and ignore all those bad looking bearings and claim that there is no problem. Similarly, one cannot just take the bad bearing pictures and claim that all engines are bad. Hence why I am very interested in following and learning about these bearing and clearance threads/discussions. I still haven't been able to find an answer/explanation to the temperature spike and pressure drop that my car experienced. For that I do think it was attributed to the bearing wear and the engine is generated more heat than usual. At least I am happy that seem to have been resolved with the bearing change.

I do want to say thanks again to all those that contributed to the bearing discussion and bringing to light this potential weak spot for our engine. Without that I would not have been aware of this and done this. This cost me less than $1k. Compare this to a potential $20k bill and an unknown down time, it's a no-brainer. Obviously, that's only true if you are suspicious that the engine have bearing wear which I felt I did because of the temperature spike and the oil pressure dropping. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #90
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
I am aware of that as I follow all the bearing/engine/mileage threads. There are also many engines that failed at different mileage. One cannot use a single picture of a car with 200k miles and ignore all those bad looking bearings and claim that there is no problem
There are several more odometer pics with folks nearing 200K miles, and tons more well above 100K miles. The point is that we are now seeing the potential of what the engineers designed, as long as the engine was manufactured correctly, which they obviously had no control over. What do the bearings look like over 150K miles? how about, at 250K miles? It doesn't matter. However, I can assure you that they aren't all shiny and new. Things age, and they don't look cosmetically appealing, but they will still function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
I do want to say thanks again to all those that contributed to the bearing discussion and bringing to light this potential weak spot for our engine. Without that I would not have been aware of this and done this.
Our whole engine is a weak spot, as long as the motor is young. Focusing on one area is pointless, as we have seen engine tear downs revealing miscellaneous assembly related issues including:snapped rods, failed main bearings, and my personal favorite: an engine block bolt, drilled in at a very slight angle, which started leaking coolant, through the subsequent hairline crack on the block. Obviously, some of the workers were either drunk or not paying attention, some days.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #91
e92zero
Captain
Rep

I do not want to carry on these discussions here. I think that whole topic has been discussed to death enough in all the other threads. I am my own thoughts and opinions on this whole bearing 'issues'. I thought my earlier response was pretty neutral and pointed out that one also cannot use the bad bearing pictures and claim that all engines are bad either.

I am expressing my gratitude to the ones that have contributed to the knowledge for the community and they answered my questions in PM as well. None of them made a penny off of me for this bearing change.

I am also very happy that the temperature spike and oil pressure dropped has been resolved. If anyone have any theory besides bearing wear as a contributing factor, please enlighten me. I really do like to learn.

Last edited by e92zero; 10-03-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:26 AM   #92
vanos_man
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I haven't started my car in over month and half because of the weather conditions in the Midwest currently under storage.. Well the battery was removed and just sitting under the covers. Any ///M experts can diagnosis this rattling sound, presume the weather is in near negative... I'm planning to get a oil analysis in spring. Dosent sound like a rod issue I've read numerous amount of rod and bearing issues??!?.. It actually sounds fine to me but other opinions are accepted

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #93
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Hey OP, wondering what your thoughts are about the clevite bearings that BE bearings offer?

Wondering what your thought process was behind PE bearings.

And you did a very thorough job, so congrats! so rewarding...these types of jobs.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #94
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos_man View Post
I haven't started my car in over month and half because of the weather conditions in the Midwest currently under storage.. Well the battery was removed and just sitting under the covers. Any ///M experts can diagnosis this rattling sound, presume the weather is in near negative... I'm planning to get a oil analysis in spring. Dosent sound like a rod issue I've read numerous amount of rod and bearing issues??!?.. It actually sounds fine to me but other opinions are accepted

Not an expert but sounds just like mine i.e. perfectly normal to me Vanos.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #95
e92zero
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Hey OP, wondering what your thoughts are about the clevite bearings that BE bearings offer?

Wondering what your thought process was behind PE bearings.

And you did a very thorough job, so congrats! so rewarding...these types of jobs.
I have no expertise in this whole bearing arena so my thoughts really don't mean much here. I do like these over the others for the simple fact that it's softer and that you get some warning from oil analysis with these due to the lead layer. I already ordered a set for myself and will attempt this again at the end of 2017 which should put me at 17#k miles if my car doesn't blow up before then.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #96
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos_man View Post

Sorry man , but your pics or video are not working .
I see only about 5%, so actually you posted a piece of a small pic ...strange I never saw this before..hard to say of what you posted

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 06:41 AM   #97
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Phil, click the second one, not much of a video but you should be able to get the audio loud and clear.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #98
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Phil, click the second one, not much of a video but you should be able to get the audio loud and clear.
Nik , I got the next message...
We're sorry , this video has been renamed or deleted by its owner !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #99
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Hmm..strange, still works for me? Ah well.
Appreciate 0