BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

03-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Unhappy Battery Replaced Now Receive Restraint System Malfunction

My battery was recently replaced and I now receive the following error “Restraint system malfunction”. After reading several posts it appears this message is generated when the battery is disconnected. However, after clearing the error code (the code is set to "OK") the error reappears after a couple of minutes.

After further research it appears a "connector" can get loosened when the battery is replaced. For example: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...98&postcount=4 I’m guessing this may be the cause of my problem.

Can anyone tell me which connectors might get loosened when the battery is replaced?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Some more info: the error code is 93B2 in the MRS module. After researching this error code, here are the causes of the error:

Quote:
This is error of Safety battery terminal - "+" klemme on the batter
and

Quote:
The battery saftey terminal (BST) is used to reduce the risk of a short circuit to the B+ terminal of the battery in the event of an accident, as a result of a short circuit on the cable running from the B+ terminal of the battery to the Starter & Alternator (an unfused/unprotected circuit).
Now that I know the error, does anyone know how to resolve it? I've already verified the 2 pin/wire connector is plugged into the positive terminal of the battery. Is there anything else I can check?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

So, no one has ever seen this error before?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
aresh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 550i

you will need to replace that part, i had the same problem and had to relpace the BST cable.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
aresh
First Lieutenant
Rep

btw it never really affected anything while i drove it but eventually, if you want the problem to go away, you will have to replace the BST cable. The dealer did tell me the air bags wont go off because of that error.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresh View Post
you will need to replace that part, i had the same problem and had to relpace the BST cable.
Thanks for the reply -- I've read several posts on E90Post about replacing the battery safety terminal cable. For example: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460270

Do I have to replace the BST cable or just ensure the connection is set? Since the battery for the none-M cars looks different do you have a pic of the battery and where the BST cable is connected. Btw, the warning light drives me nuts and I'm unable to clear the error using BMW diagnostic software!

Thanks again for the confirmation of the issue
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Did you have it coded?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Did you have it coded?
I coded the car myself after race seats were installed. After coding my car all seat bag related errors were removed for several weeks until I disconnected my battery: when I disconnected and then reconnected the battery the error occurred . The battery has since been replaced and I coded the car again to register the new battery.

The error code seems to point to the "Battery Safety Terminal" cable and most owners have to replace this cable (based on various posts). However, I want to verify the cable is properly seated or connected first -- I just have no idea where the cable is (it's supposedly connected to the positive connection of the battery).

Last edited by tinpot; 03-09-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
aresh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Most likely you will have to have it replaced, unfortunately i couldnt figure out how to replace mine and had the dealer do it for a pretty penny. GL
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
aresh
First Lieutenant
Rep

BTW it is connected, if it wasnt, the cable would be popped out of it socket ( hard to explain) but your car wouldnt start! That dosent mean the cable isn faulty, It is! best bet is to replace it on your own or have someone do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most likely you will have to have it replaced, unfortunately i couldnt figure out how to replace mine and had the dealer do it for a pretty penny. GL
Quote:
BTW it is connected, if it wasnt, the cable would be popped out of it socket ( hard to explain) but your car wouldnt start! That dosent mean the cable isn faulty, It is! best bet is to replace it on your own or have someone do it.
Thanks for the responses I'm done screwing around with the cable after reading there's a small explosive in the wire that's design to cut power to the battery in the event of an accident. After reading this tidbit of information it's time to go to the dealer!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
aresh
First Lieutenant
Rep

yup mine basically blew up and popped out one day, thats when i replaced it. Better to do it now then be sorry later
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
allotherareused
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d, f30

CC-ID 97 on 320d

I have same problem, but I don't think this is related to battery in any way :

- On Thursday I've vacuum cleaned the car, as well under seats
- On Friday that was working normally
- On Saturday got error CC-ID 97

Till was waiting for 4 weeks for connection cable&software I've checked, there were some possibly not well connected connector under passenger seat, double checked that this is all connected well now.

Yesterday got software & interface and cleared out errors. Tested it, drive couple min and all was OK. Today error appear again, and now tested with and without passenger.

Test result is :
- after error is cleared I can drive without passenger for a while, probably any time and any distance, nothing appear
- after error is cleared, if I have passenger error appear after 1 min or after 100 m, but appear for sure.

I believe this is detecting something wrong in airbag, or just have this in memory and just disable airbags on passenger side.

Note that, after error memory is cleared this still show error saved somewhere else :

01 MRS ERROR_ECU_SECURITY_ACCESS_DENIED_SECURITY_ACCESS_R EQUESTED

Regards,
Dejan
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
allotherareused
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d, f30

just to finish story :

That wasn't related to airbag in any way, but this is part of same system (MRS), that for show wrong message.

using DIS I've found bad contact on BST (Battery safety terminal), just shake it and problem is solved, after that disconnected and clean contact just for a case.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

I'm having the same issue. I replaced my battery and the BST plug popped out. I got the error, realized what it was and plugged it back in. The error still won't go away however.

Did you have to do anything special to reset it? Or should it just go away on its own once the cable is plugged back in?

I'm new to programming but have the cable and software set up. I did the battery registration which was successful so if there is something I can check or reset with the coding software I'm all set...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #17
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
I'm having the same issue. I replaced my battery and the BST plug popped out. I got the error, realized what it was and plugged it back in. The error still won't go away however.

Did you have to do anything special to reset it? Or should it just go away on its own once the cable is plugged back in?

I'm new to programming but have the cable and software set up. I did the battery registration which was successful so if there is something I can check or reset with the coding software I'm all set...
Battery registration is not going to fix this error.

It will probably stay there until it's cleared. Sometimes when the battery voltage gets low the MRS module gets upset and throws faults.

It's possible that it might but in some cases it won't. I reset one remotely for one of my coding clients the other day.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Battery registration is not going to fix this error.

It will probably stay there until it's cleared. Sometimes when the battery voltage gets low the MRS module gets upset and throws faults.

It's possible that it might but in some cases it won't. I reset one remotely for one of my coding clients the other day.
Yeah, I know the battery registration won't clear this error. Also found that my standard obd2 reader wont' clear the codes either.

I guess what I need to know is how one would clear them through INPA or one of the other BMW tools. I've had problems with INPA working completely but I think I've taken care of that so I will see shortly.

Can you give me a hint as to the steps to reset this particular code? Would i need to load the MRS module in NCS and run a certain job to clear the codes?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nevermind, I got it. Finally got a version of INPA completely working. Had to manually add the INI to change from com port 1 to 3 (which is where my cable lives) and then read the error memory, then reset. Restarted the car and all was well!

Thanks for the tips .
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Mine just pop up abruptly during a sharp turn. Code 93b2 is present, so I went in the trunk and from a high level inspection, everything looks fine, but I suspect something is not plugged correctly anymore. Which wire needs to be wiggled exactly ?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #21
nyfg56
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Mine just pop up abruptly during a sharp turn. Code 93b2 is present, so I went in the trunk and from a high level inspection, everything looks fine, but I suspect something is not plugged correctly anymore. Which wire needs to be wiggled exactly ?
Same thing happened to me after hitting a pothole the other day. I was not able to reset the code the day it happened, then by some miracle, yesterday I was able to clear it using the same bluetooth adapter and BMWhat app, but today the error is back and again won't clear
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 02:56 AM   #22
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

will simply disconnecting and reconnecting the same battery need programming? it may take me a little bit to get a custom mount built for the battery i'm getting, and i may need to put the oem battery back in after taking it out.