BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Nissan 350Z

General M3 Questions

So I was at my local BMW dealership, scouting for an M3. I came across a beautiful, Melbourne Red exterior, Fox Red Extended Interior, M3 coupé. I noticed that the car lacked the technology package, and was kind of confused on whether or not I was still interested, and wanted to order an '09 M3.

I realise the function of EDC, as far as ride comfort, etc, and I brought it up to the sale person, and he said that EDC in a 6MT M3 is a 'useless' feature, along with M-Drive. The reason he gave me for the EDC, was that it was stick shift car, and basically gave me that for his reasoning.

Onto M-Drive, since the M3 always has claimed 414hp, he told me that the M-drive was also 'impractical' considering that it is not like the M5/M6 where you have to change from 400 to 500 Sport modes.

He also told me that the newer M3's, the 09's, are not getting the new iDrive, and not getting the XX-GB HDD, and won't be able to play DVDs, as this is a feature only seen in the non-M E90s.

So onto the main questions:

1) What do you guys think about EDC? I've toyed around with an M6 and have never found myself playing with the button.

2) Is the M-Drive really 'useless'?

3) I heard the navigation etc. details on the forum somewhere for the 09s, but maybe someone can clarify that for me?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

Suggest you try another dealer - someone who actually knows something about the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie57 View Post
Suggest you try another dealer - someone who actually knows something about the car.
So you don't have any input on EDC/M-Drive/Nav....?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

BTW It was KINGLEH who posted about the i-Drive update, considering he has an 09 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
MidwestBimmerFan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3, 1976 2002

That dealer is crazy. I have a 6MT and I love the M button and my EDC.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
MidwestBimmerFan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3, 1976 2002

Sorry I forgot to awnser your 3rd question. From what I have heard all 09's will have the updated I-Drive and can play DVD's.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also, I should add he is giving me the M3 at invoice price...I'm sure that's to get rid of his inventory, but also I'm positive that if I were to go ahead and order an M3, he wouldn't give me invoice price. Also, to add, there probably wont be any 1.9% financing available either
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Welcome!

EDC/M drive is a must have. M drive gives you M dynamic mode, a less intrusive DSC that is perfect for spirited driving. M drive also gives you one more setting for steering (sport) and throttle mapping (sport plus).

And EVERY SINGLE 09 3 series is getting the new i-drive w/ HDD based nav and plays DVDs.

Please tell the sales manager that your current Customer Associate is full of shit and request for another one. I think that a dealer that has CA's that lies to customers about vehicle information should also be reported to BMWNA. 1-800-831-1117
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Also, I should add he is giving me the M3 at invoice price...I'm sure that's to get rid of his inventory, but also I'm positive that if I were to go ahead and order an M3, he wouldn't give me invoice price. Also, to add, there probably wont be any 1.9% financing available either
just because he is giving you a good deal doesn't justify his lying to you about all these information.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Welcome!

EDC/M drive is a must have. M drive gives you M dynamic mode, a less intrusive DSC that is perfect for spirited driving. M drive also gives you one more setting for steering (sport) and throttle mapping (sport plus).

And EVERY SINGLE 09 3 series is getting the new i-drive w/ HDD based nav and plays DVDs.

Please tell the sales manager that your current Customer Associate is full of shit and request for another one. I think that a dealer that has CA's that lies to customers about vehicle information should also be reported to BMWNA. 1-800-831-1117
Funny...the information I gave you is coming straight out of the Sales Manager's mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #11
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Funny...the information I gave you is coming straight out of the Sales Manager's mouth.
Well, then I would suggest that you switch to a different dealer. If they lie to you about iDrive, I wouldn't be surprized if they lied to you about other things...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Quote:
So I was at my local BMW dealership, scouting for an M3. I came across a beautiful, Melbourne Red exterior, Fox Red Extended Interior, M3 coupé. I noticed that the car lacked the technology package, and was kind of confused on whether or not I was still interested, and wanted to order an '09 M3.

I realise the function of EDC, as far as ride comfort, etc, and I brought it up to the sale person, and he said that EDC in a 6MT M3 is a 'useless' feature, along with M-Drive. The reason he gave me for the EDC, was that it was stick shift car, and basically gave me that for his reasoning.

Onto M-Drive, since the M3 always has claimed 414hp, he told me that the M-drive was also 'impractical' considering that it is not like the M5/M6 where you have to change from 400 to 500 Sport modes.

He also told me that the newer M3's, the 09's, are not getting the new iDrive, and not getting the XX-GB HDD, and won't be able to play DVDs, as this is a feature only seen in the non-M E90s.

So onto the main questions:

1) What do you guys think about EDC? I've toyed around with an M6 and have never found myself playing with the button.

2) Is the M-Drive really 'useless'?

3) I heard the navigation etc. details on the forum somewhere for the 09s, but maybe someone can clarify that for me?

Thanks.
You can search around on the forum to confirm this, but your salesman is either lying to your face or so confused himself that he's giving out bad information.

EDC -- The usefulness of EDC is debatable. I have it with 6MT and can certainly feel a difference between the 3 settings (comfort, normal, and sport). Whether that difference is significant enough to warrant the option's cost is a matter of personal preference (if you live in a place with good roads, I'd suggest it as the differences are more pronounced. I was in SF over the weekend (bad roads) and the ride was bumpy even in comfort mode).

M-Drive -- Have not used it yet, but personally I'd get it only if you plan to go to the track.

i-Drive -- I'm almost certain that all the M3's are getting the new version.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #13
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
On all three points, he is wrong. Absolutely wrong. (What the hell does EDC have to do with the type of transmission)? Do you consider it a coincidence that everything he said lined up with convincing you to buy the car that was sitting on his lot?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #14
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

it is interesting how little some sales reps / managers know about thier cars.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #15
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
On all three points, he is wrong. Absolutely wrong. (What the hell does EDC have to do with the type of transmission)? Do you consider it a coincidence that everything he said lined up with convincing you to buy the car that was sitting on his lot?
+1.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #16
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
The funnier thing is, there was an Alpine White M3 6MT with EDC and M-Drive and he didn't say anything about it. I know he was trying to play me to drive the M3 off the lot. But, if I were to order the M3, chances are he'd sell it at or above MSRP right?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #17
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Sales manager probably trying to move a Melbourne Red exterior, Fox Red Extended Interior M in stock. Not sure about that color combo and how many would like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
it is interesting how little some sales reps / managers know about thier cars.
I think they know, ... mostly anyway. However, BMW sales people are notorious for this sort of thing. If you noticed, all of what he said (except the new i-drive comment) are opinions and so are not outright lies. It is clear that he just wants to move the car.

To the OP,

Having said this, it's still a damn good car even without EDC and the tech package. EDC, tech and M-drive are not useless but not having these does not take anything away from the engine and chassis which IMO are the soul of the car. If you believe it is a good deal then I don't think you will have any regrets. I just hope there are not too many miles put on the car by test drivers winding the engine out to red-line.

Good luck.
      10-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #19
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrian View Post
Sales manager probably trying to move a Melbourne Red exterior, Fox Red Extended Interior M in stock. Not sure about that color combo and how many would like it.
it's weird because according to the BMW booklet
you can not order that combo
red with red is not one of the options if you look at the last few pages with the exterior and interior colours
and i kind of agree it't not a nice combo
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrian View Post
Definitely trying to move the car in front of him... and by the way, that was the combo that I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
it's weird because according to the BMW booklet
you can not order that combo
red with red is not one of the options if you look at the last few pages with the exterior and interior colours
and i kind of agree it't not a nice combo
Yes, you can...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Why don't you ask him if you can test drive the car?

I test drove my non-ZTP (non-EDC, non-MDrive, non-IDrive) car and bought it soon after. I was always leaning toward going non-ZTP and the drive confirmed my choice. It blows away my E46, which is all I really care about. Have I driven a ZTP equipped car? No. I'm sure that it would be that much cooler, but I don't really need the gizmos to have fun in the car. I stronly suggest you try it out and see what you think. If you are uncertain, ask to drive a ZTP-equipped car too so that you can compare and contrast them. Then you'll know for sure. The car in question (Red on Red coupe) sounds very sweet though, and I'm sure its pretty cheap given its probably lightly optioned and the fact that you can get it at invoice with 1.9%.
Appreciate 0